PDA

View Full Version : SKi Size

aprgriggs
03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
What sizes ski do I need?

Me:5-10 130LB
Husband: 6-0 175LB

Also, What ski do you recommend...I want something that is easy to ride but will be fun to ride as I advance. Help Please???

Lake_Tippy_Skier
03-09-2005, 03:31 PM
this is the ski (http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?C=202&category=Slalom+Water+Skis&P=13489&product=O%27Brien+World+Team+2005+Slalom+Water+Ski ) that i keep in my boat for those who are not hard core skiers, but like to rip it up sometimes. it has a nice feel to it

east tx skier
03-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Assuming you're in the 30+ mph range, I'd say 65--66 for you, 67--68 for your husband. But this varies. Most are riding longer skis these days.

Sizing charts vary, but here's one.

I'm a fan of the HO ASX for people who know how to slalom, are looking to advance, but wouldn't characterize themselves as hard core course skiers.

Slalom Sizing Chart (http://waterski.about.com/od/tipsslalombegin/a/slalom_sizing.htm?terms=slalom+size+chart)

ski_king
03-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I aggree with Lake Tippy, it's hard to beat the Obrien World Team Comp as a all around ski.
Either the 66 or 68 should work for both of you and any guests that want to ski. Fairly easy to get up on and cuts fairly well.

aprgriggs
03-09-2005, 05:46 PM
what about a wider ski and less length? Also, is it harder to ride a longer ski?

G-man
03-09-2005, 05:56 PM
aprgriggs I recommend you go to one of the local shops and demo a ski. Most local dallas shops will let you demo a ski and apply that fee to the purchase of a ski. Kind of try before you buy. It really helps to test a couple ski's.

east tx skier
03-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Demo is definitely the way to find out what works best. For me, it entailed buying skis, riding them for a few months and selling them on ebay. Eventually, I found one I really liked. But I don't have a local shop that stocks good slalom skis.

aprgriggs
03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I am going to demo first...I was just trying to get a idea of what is good and what is not.

How about the HO Mack 1? Good or Bad?....I am just trying to get a good all around ski.

G-man
03-10-2005, 11:53 AM
aprgriggs the guys in slalom shops proshop can answer that better. You may find a great deal on something left over from last year. Ask for John or Craig tell them george sent you. I use to work there.

aprgriggs
03-10-2005, 12:01 PM
aprgriggs the guys in slalom shops proshop can answer that better. You may find a great deal on something left over from last year. Ask for John or Craig tell them george sent you. I use to work there.

I bought a board from them last year...they are great about giving good deals.

east tx skier
03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
I am going to demo first...I was just trying to get a idea of what is good and what is not.

How about the HO Mack 1? Good or Bad?....I am just trying to get a good all around ski.

Farmer Ted is on the Mach 1 and really likes it.

aprgriggs
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Farmer Ted is on the Mach 1 and really likes it.

hey farmer..tell me about your ski. Please :)

sfitzgerald351
03-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Are you and the husband getting one ski between you or are looking for a ski for yourself?

If it's for yourself I got my fiance a new ski for Christmas (no places to demo around here) from Wileys and they recommended either the KD3000 or the HO Esprit. We went with the KD3000 on the recommendation of someone on here who's wife loves it. I'd put these skis on your list to try.

Farmer Ted
03-10-2005, 02:09 PM

I bought a Mach 1 from Wileys, mine was a left over from 2001 or 2002 the dude at Wileys really talked it up and said that it would be a great ski to get good on without spending a ton of money. I paid around $245 for mine with a Wiley Highwrap and rear toe plate.

I see that HO has a new version of the Mach 1 out this year. I'd call Wileys and talk to them about what you're after and they can probably recommend a decent ski.

Oh, the ski is a 68 and I'm 6" 2 180-190 (bulked up a bit for the winter)

FT

east tx skier
03-10-2005, 02:42 PM
April, Tim's right about Wiley's. They're great to deal with and very knowledgable. I think they'll do demos with you as well, although shipping can be expensive. Very happy with the CDX I purchased from them last year. For the record, 5'10", 170 lbs, 68" HO CDX.

aprgriggs
03-12-2005, 11:08 AM
ok, what about the HO burner?

when I went looking a skies...they like this ski better than the Mach 1...something about a channel and the ski wouldn't slip out from under me. What do ya'll think?

bradamerry
03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
ok, what about the HO burner?

when I went looking a skies...they like this ski better than the Mach 1...something about a channel and the ski wouldn't slip out from under me. What do ya'll think?
I believe the Burner is pretty close to the Charger and I like my Charger.

bradamerry
03-12-2005, 11:13 AM
hey farmer..tell me about your ski. Please :)
I have skied Farmer Mach1, good solid ski.

aprgriggs
03-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Burner vs Mach 1? Do you sacrafice performance of the MAch 1 for a ski that is easier to rider?

east tx skier
03-13-2005, 11:44 PM
I thought that the HO skis like the burners, chargers etc. were all the same, but were just different sizes? That's what the catalog I saw made it seem like last time I looked.