PDA

View Full Version : 2005 197 steering lube instructions

softailcowboy
10-07-2007, 03:37 PM
how do you remove engine box cover and rear floor to lube steering? I don't see screws in floor? can't tell if the pins in engine box cover come out. undo shocks-then what??? any help?

JohnE
10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
The piece you are looking for is under the floor in the ski locker I think.

Are you looking to lube it as part of scheduled mantenance or are you having a problem?

softailcowboy
10-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't have a ski locker

WTRSK1R
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Once the shocks for the engine box are disconnected, you can just lift near the rear of the engine box and the engine box and floor will come up as a single piece. On my 2004 197 I can swing the whole thing back and rest the engine box lid on the trunk without too much effort.

Good Luck.

Steve

softailcowboy
10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
tnx I wasn't for sure and didn't want to create a problem....

WTRSK1R
10-07-2007, 05:47 PM
There is one grease zirc that you can access from under the floor section, and an additional fitting that you will need to access through the gas tank under the trunk. (ski locker)

JohnE
10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
I don't have a ski locker

Not sure exactly what it's called. Maybe not a "locker". But on my '05 197 you lift up the cover to the ski locker/ trunk/ whatever you call it and then remove the floor and it exposes the gas tank with the steering connection to the rudder in the center "cutout" of the fuel tank.

softailcowboy
10-09-2007, 07:03 AM
tnx for info

Ric
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
hey slide that cover forward til it hits the pylon after you pop the shock lifters off the cover... by doing this, you can rock the cover backward and leverage alone will pull that rear floor piece up without binding on that back wall there under the rear seat area (I think it's kinda pushed up under there an inch or so for a good fit)

peason
10-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the pictures and the detail on how to open up that section. I have neve tried to do this - one more way to clean the bilge!

shepherd
10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
There is one grease zirc that you can access from under the floor section, and an additional fitting that you will need to access through the gas tank under the trunk. (ski locker)

On my '03, there are two grease fittings under the floor, and one back at the gas tank.

WTRSK1R
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks. I will have to take another look. I only found one.

Steve

softailcowboy
10-26-2007, 07:58 PM
ok today I went to lube steering. took out rear floor and engine cover.
1st zirc fitting closeest to trans.wouldn't take any grease? pump stroke was hard and didn't take any grease. took out zirc fitting and put it on grease gun and grease went through it. reinstalled it had the same results? should I have tried something like wire down in grease area? why wouldn't grease go in? took out carpet in rear locker. Didn't see a zirc fitting on rudder shaft. Actually I couldn't see rudder shaft. I have a rubber? or plastic piece around rudder shaft below the attachment arm. should I have tried to remove that? any help much appreciated.... 2005 197

TMCNo1
10-26-2007, 08:29 PM
1st zirc fitting closeest to trans.wouldn't take any grease? pump stroke was hard and didn't take any grease. took out zirc fitting and put it on grease gun and grease went through it. reinstalled it had the same results? should I have tried something like wire down in grease area? why wouldn't grease go in? took out carpet in rear locker. Didn't see a zirc fitting on rudder shaft. Actually I couldn't see rudder shaft. I have a rubber? or plastic piece around rudder shaft below the attachment arm. should I have tried to remove that? any help much appreciated.... 2005 197

The zerk fitting in the tube mounted to the strut bolts on the bracket that you tried to grease does not have a ball valve in it. DO NOT replace it with a zerk that has a ball in it, as it will lock up the steering cable. If it did not take any grease then it's ok, it is full, but if it had then any excess grease that may have been in there will squirt back out of the hole in the zerk. Example is, you can turn the steering wheel all the way to one side from straight forward and fill the fitting, but when you straighten the steering wheel back up, all the grease will squirt out. All that fitting does, is lightly grease the cable running in the aluminum tube. I hope I haven't over explained it!

Apparently your rudder has the newer ceramic rudder port/rudder shaft seal.
If you have a owners manual it should show all the steering grease fitting location in the rear bilge area.

JohnE
10-26-2007, 08:51 PM

I'm no expert, but my '05 197 has the '06 rudder and there is no grease fitting iirc. It does have the plastic washer/ fitting under the nut attaching the rudder to the arm. My steering was "sticking" earlier this year, but the problem was a loose allen screw in the "ball and socket" behind the wheel. (not the most technical explanation, but the best I can do...)

pflcjl
10-27-2007, 07:41 AM
what tpye of grease is recommended?

TMCNo1
10-27-2007, 08:43 AM
what tpye of grease is recommended?

:twocents: I use Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing grease, found at Wal-Mart and Ace Hardware among other outlets.

softailcowboy
10-27-2007, 09:00 AM
ok tnx for info. my owners manual shows a zirc fitting in rear foer rudder. So if I have the new seal is there a zirc fitting behind seal to grease? how does the seal come off? what is the advantage to this seal? tnx for all info

TMCNo1
10-27-2007, 12:05 PM
ok tnx for info. my owners manual shows a zirc fitting in rear foer rudder. So if I have the new seal is there a zirc fitting behind seal to grease? how does the seal come off? what is the advantage to this seal? tnx for all info

It is my understanding, IIBW, but the new seal eliminates the use of grease to help seal the rudder shaft in the rudder port between the 2 O-rings inside and to create a bearing surface for the heavy tiller arm and rudder assembly to wear/run on top of the rudder port. Maybe a educated dealer that has knowledge of the nre desigh will chime in and assist in the explaination. I would run my hand all around the rudder port to make sure there is not a zerk fitting hidden out of sight.
The seal/bearing assembly will come apart if you disconnect the steering cable and remove the tiller arm from the top of the rudder shaft. But, I wouldn't do it just for the giggles of it, unless you are in need of changing out a rudder or rudder port.