PDA

View Full Version : How many engine hours????

Marcos
10-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi guys! As you may notice , I'm not from the US but from Europe. I've been reading this forum, the marketplace and similar sites for a few years, but one thing strikes me as odd.... Do you guys also you USE your boats?;)

I see boats from ten years and older with 200 engine hours on it! That's 20 hours or less a year! I would sell mine immediately if I used it that little. Among my friends in the Netherlands, we do at least 100 hours a year. If it's less in a year, I'm really pissed, because it's just a too expensive toy to just let her stay on the shore or docked.

What's the difference in use? I can't immagine it's the weather, as in Holland its terrible and we still turn hours.

So here's the topic: How many hours do you make? And if its far less then 100h a year, what's the reason?:confused:

bcampbe7
10-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I imagine you are talking about my boat. :D

In our case we bought the boat in 2003 with 89 hours on it. It now has 207. In the past 2 years we have just not had the chance to use the boat. Last year it rained nearly every time we were going to go out. This year we have been in a drought and the lake is too low for me to comfortably take my boat out. We probably only put on 25 hours in the past 2 years! :(

rektek
10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Great now we have Euro trolls on TT

WTRSK1R
10-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi guys! As you may notice , I'm not from the US but from Europe. I've been reading this forum, the marketplace and similar sites for a few years, but one thing strikes me as odd.... Do you guys also you USE your boats?;)

I see boats from ten years and older with 200 engine hours on it! That's 20 hours or less a year! I would sell mine immediately if I used it that little. Among my friends in the Netherlands, we do at least 100 hours a year. If it's less in a year, I'm really pissed, because it's just a too expensive toy to just let her stay on the shore or docked.

What's the difference in use? I can't immagine it's the weather, as in Holland its terrible and we still turn hours.

So here's the topic: How many hours do you make? And if its far less then 100h a year, what's the reason?:confused:

Marcos,
I ski with 2 other guys who both have boats. We take turns driving and therefore I do not put as many hours on my boat. Last year I put 58 hours on it, and this year I will be near the same when its all said and done. In the Midwest of the US, many people do not get in the water until late May or early June and most are already off the lakes. I was out last Thursday and at least half of the piers have been removed already. I usually start skiing in late March or early April depending on when the ice is gone, but everyone tells me I am nuts so I probably am not your typical boat owner. I will ski into November if the air temperture holds out.

However, on my prior boat, when my kids were little we would go out to the lake, drive to a shallow area and put out the anchor. The kids would swim and we would picnic on the boat for lunch. We could spend 6 hours on the lake and put about 30 minutes of run time on the boat. I had the boat for 14 years and put about 350 hours on it. An average of 25 hours per year. I never once thought about selling the boat until I decided it was time for a new one.

Steve

TMCNo1
10-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Marcos,
I ski with 2 other guys who both have boats. We take turns driving and therefore I do not put as many hours on my boat. Last year I put 58 hours on it, and this year I will be near the same when its all said and done. In the Midwest of the US, many people do not get in the water until late May or early June and most are already off the lakes. I was out last Thursday and at least half of the piers have been removed already. I usually start skiing in late March or early April depending on when the ice is gone, but everyone tells me I am nuts so I probably am not your typical boat owner. I will ski into November if the air temperture holds out.

However, on my prior boat, when my kids were little we would go out to the lake, drive to a shallow area and put out the anchor. The kids would swim and we would picnic on the boat for lunch. We could spend 6 hours on the lake and put about 30 minutes of run time on the boat. I had the boat for 14 years and put about 350 hours on it. An average of 25 hours per year. I never once thought about selling the boat until I decided it was time for a new one.

Steve

Thanks for sharing!
What is pitiful is some of us feel we have to defend, where we live, how, how often and when we HAVE to use the boats according to some here on Team Talk. Apparently they don't realize that WE, the registered owners, negotiated a price on our boat, probably financed our boat, paid for or are paying for it, insured it, maintain it, yet they critical of us for not going by their self centered rules of use, when it's not their boat to start with.
BTW, what is the difference in buying a $100,000 classic car/street rod/race car/antique/new limited edition car @ Barrett/Jackson and only driving it 100 miles in 4 years before it's disposed of, maybe for profit, maybe not, I'm just saying.................................?

dmayer84
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
I put as many hours on my boat as possible. To me its never enough, only about 60 so far this year, and that is with not going out the past 5 weeks due to other reasons.

Lennyp04
10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Got the boat at the end of July. Didnt drop it in until Early July due to reconfiguring the dock from the old boat to the new. We put about 57 hours or around there (forgot to look at the gauge before it went to storage)and probobly put about 20 more hours on the other boat before it started acting up.

Eagle
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I'll put about 150 hours on my X-2 this year and about the same last year. By contrast, I put only about 10 hours on my Cobalt this year and 0 hours on my jet skis.

The vast majority (90%) of the MC hours have been spent doing water sports versus cruising.

atlfootr
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Have an outboard w/ no hr meter :(

betsy&david Harrison
10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Just for the heck of it, I checked my boat hours today. My '93 S&S has 11117 hours and she purrs like a kitten:woohoo:

Farmer Ted
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
just rolled 395 today, had 185 when I bought it in Oct 03

since we got the keys to the gate of a private ski lake a month ago I've put more hours on my boat the past four weeks than I have all summer and we still have at a solid month maybe two left.....

fintek9
10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Were pushing 140 hrs this year to be honest kind of scares me, bought it the fall of "05" 476 hrs on it, up over 700 now. they add up fast it seems with our usage (lovin every minute)solid as h--l yet, I have to trust that chevy small block to give me the time before rebuild!

mccobmd
10-07-2007, 11:08 PM
I bought it brand new in april and as of this year have 36 hours on it. Yes it is expensive but it's the one activity my 14,12 and 6 year old children do together. We go to a lake 30 minutes from our house on the weekday evenings so 4 hours on the lake equals less than 1 hour of engine time because we ski, wakeboard and then the kids swim. My guess is if you own a tube your hours will be way up compared to boats that just do watersports. As far as the cost I worked hard to get in a position where I could pay cash for an X1. I am on call so have limited days I can get away, but when I do go I want a boat that runs well that does everything I ask it to do. After all, it's only money.

cdawake
10-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I bought it brand new in april and as of this year have 36 hours on it. Yes it is expensive but it's the one activity my 14,12 and 6 year old children do together. We go to a lake 30 minutes from our house on the weekday evenings so 4 hours on the lake equals less than 1 hour of engine time because we ski, wakeboard and then the kids swim. My guess is if you own a tube your hours will be way up compared to boats that just do watersports. As far as the cost I worked hard to get in a position where I could pay cash for an X1. I am on call so have limited days I can get away, but when I do go I want a boat that runs well that does everything I ask it to do. After all, it's only money.

I can't agree more. It shouldn't matter whether you put 2 or 200 hours a year on your boat. Owning a boat is something that people here obviously enjoy, and some are luckier than others in terms of time they get to spend on it. Just my :twocents: on the matter: owning a boat is a privelidge, and sometimes paying for it gets in the way of time you can spend on it. ;)

milkmania
10-07-2007, 11:33 PM

where you at in Oklahoma?

southeast here, near Fort Smith, AR.

Leroy
10-08-2007, 12:18 AM
I put ~50 hours a year on.

Living in Belgium for two years and managing a the lab budget in Rennes France our take home pay is something to be thankful for. We have an advantage of lower taxes and overall higher salary rate. Living in the Nederlands what is your tax excape cause you have really high taxes?

I would say the many younger people without kids put 100-200 hours a year on their boats.

PendO
10-08-2007, 12:22 AM
20-30 hours a year ... its at a cabin so I usually only use it when pulling a skier / boarder / tuber ... otherwise it stays at the dock and we sit on the shore ... relaxing!

Marcos
10-08-2007, 01:38 AM
THNX for the replies guys! Yezz, there are Euro Trolls on TT as wel, watch out for them!
No just kidding, I was just curious if you have the same feeling when you use your expensive hobby so little. I, just like all of you, have to work very hard to buy, keep and maintain it. Next to the house, It's the most expensive thing I bought.
I have a friend who is so carefull with his boat, that he rather leaves it on the shore than use it and risks some minor damage to it. I'm also very carefull, but I still want it to be used as much as possible.

For the guys that are afraid of high engine hours; we have boats running with more than 2500 hours, without engine rebuild! If you nurse it, the engine with last a lifetime.

Btw, I also make most hours out with the guys; when I go out with the wife, it's usually half an hour, stop the engine, pull out the cooler and float around for hours.....:)

dh_bennison
10-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Bought my X10 at in August this year and have put 35hrs on as of yesterday. If we didnt use my friends aswell boat we would probably have nearly doubled that!!

Next to my house its the most expensive thing I own but I dont want it to just sit there and look pretty. Over the hrs Im sure it will start to gather a few battle scars which will need fixing but I happy with that because at least it will have got them doing what it was made to do!!!!!!!

betsy&david Harrison
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Your boats are babies compared to my ol'gal. She is a grandma compared to yours :D

oldriver
10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
PUT 130 HOURS ON HER ALREADY.DAYS VERY,VERY LIMITED THIS SEASON.fIGURED ABOUT 1800-2000 DOLLARS IN GAS.NEXT SEASON HOPE TO HAVE MY NEW MASTERCRAFT PS190 WHICH I AM SHOPPING FOR AS WE SPEAK

Jayc
10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Betsy 11k hours? Really?

Wow I'm impressed, my old 190 had done 1700 and i thought hat was good (still ran perfect) and my friends have got up to 3k hrs with rebuilds but 11k is amazing. Thats like 2hrs every day since it was made, well done.

Boogieman
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
mine has just reached 3000h . .

lanier92prostar
10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I have close to 1000, but we live close to our ski cove and don't have to put hours on the boat to get to the ski cove. Also my neighbor has a wakeboard boat, so we alternate boats depending on what we are doing that day.

betsy&david Harrison
10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Betsy 11k hours? Really?

Wow I'm impressed, my old 190 had done 1700 and i thought hat was good (still ran perfect) and my friends have got up to 3k hrs with rebuilds but 11k is amazing. Thats like 2hrs every day since it was made, well done.
Yep, the hour meter read 11117 as I loaded her on the trailer yesterday.

Ok...I stand corrected...David says I am nuts....you boys already know that. I guess I am reading that wrong...should be 1,117 but I swear, when I read it yesterday there were 4 1's followed by a 7 and then another that read 2. So, I took it to be 11117.2. OOOPS!!

Ole Miss Rebels
10-08-2007, 02:38 PM
401 hours in 31 months. we ride year round and never winterize our boat. it stays in a specially built insullated/heated shed. my understanding is it is very important to perform the routine maintenance ahead of schedule. always warm it up and cool it down. never hotdog it. my boat is running as good now as when i bought it. whatever i paid for my boat it was worth it. there is no way to accurately convey the joy my wife and i have gotten out of our boat. it is our primary activity outside of work. and neither she nor i are very good riders. we just enjoy living the scene. i am really greatful i discovered wakeboarding and mastercraft boats.

milkmania
10-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Ok...I stand corrected...David says I am nuts....you boys already know that. I guess I am reading that wrong...should be 1,117 but I swear, when I read it yesterday there were 4 1's followed by a 7 and then another that read 2. So, I took it to be 11117.2. OOOPS!!

teachers!:rolleyes:

just kidding8p

TMCNo1
10-08-2007, 02:42 PM

We could use a picture of that hour meter.

shepherd
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
46 hours on my '03 since May. It would be more if I didn't take turns using my buddy's boat.

Besides, it's expensive to run these boats. We don't have the cheap petrol you folks over there in Europe have! :rolleyes: ;)

fintek9
10-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Marcos, along with a number of you MCrs overseas, post some pictures of your waters and sceneries, For me it would be the closest I'll get to a view from a MC boat! Italy has got to have some awesome views:)

stuartmcnair
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I have 659 hours on mine. I have two other boats and a jet ski. The MC only gets used to pull. Other boats cruise and the jet ski plays.

Boogieman
10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Besides, it's expensive to run these boats. We don't have the cheap petrol you folks over there in Europe have! :rolleyes: ;)

:rant: . . . .

ProTour X9
10-08-2007, 03:44 PM
160 hours in only a few months.

dh_bennison
10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
46 hours on my '03 since May. It would be more if I didn't take turns using my buddy's boat.

Ha Ha Ha!!! You guys in the US dont know how good you have it. I had to pay the equivelent of $2.00 a litre at the weekend. Yes thats a litre not gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: It makes it very expensive to put hs on your boat.

AAHH well I'll be over in Florida soon on holiday can not wait!!

Jayc
10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Ahhh 1117hrs in 14 years is far more average. 79hrs a year which is about what I clock up.

ecelis
10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
340 in 19 months. We actually spend more time on the water than that. We alternate boats with a friend on our lake.

betsy&david Harrison
10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
We could use a picture of that hour meter.
I'll try to get one next weekend. Along with David's two ski halves.

swatguy
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
put 60hrs on it this yr so far...........still a little season left.......Not bad for blowing my knee up Jul 1st and having my season ended along with having a new addition to the family. Just because I can't ride doesn't mean my crew can't. I can drive all day long

skitilldark
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I'll start. I have a 2000 X9 with 230 hours on it.

Double D
03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
1994 ProStar 205 with 975 hours. Bought it in 2001 with 650. Average 36 hours in a 5 month year. SUCKS!

dmminfla
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
1997 Prostar 205 825 hours. I bought it april 2009 with 722 hours.

Dan_Lorenze
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
2006 X30 78 hrs..

Barefooter92
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I just purchased a 1997 Prostar 205 with 180 hours can not wait to start racking them up for myself!

dmminfla
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I just purchased a 1997 Prostar 205 with 180 hours can not wait to start racking them up for myself!

Congrats, I have the same boat and will finish my first year with over 100 hours. Enjoy It!!

Miss Rita
03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
1989 TriStar, 220 hrs when I bought it last August, 231 hrs now. Hey, ten hours is a lot of use up here in the tundra!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
1977 Stars and Stripes 974 Hours.

Bouyhead
03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
1996 Prostar 190 over 2000 hrs. Boat was high and dry for three years.

CruisinGA
03-02-2010, 02:20 PM
2002 X9. Purchased July '09 with 450 hours.

Winterized Sept. '09 with over 520 hours.

Yep, 70 hours in half a season. :D

kjohnson
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I have a 1991 PS 190 with less than 500 hours on it. I am in a club, which has a boat, so mine is not used very much. Looks like new.