PDA

View Full Version : flooring idea!!!

x-10ron
10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Has anyone removed the carpet, and finished the floor/deck ?
I need to replaced my carpet. I really want to put a snap-in carpet back in place, But the existing floor is black glass, I would like to put a finish of some type on the floor. I was thinking of using a roll on all-grip type of paint. I 've seen it used on fishing boat in the past.
Any input or sugg would be great!!

Chief
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Has anyone removed the carpet, and finished the floor/deck ?
I need to replaced my carpet. I really want to put a snap-in carpet back in place, But the existing floor is black glass, I would like to put a finish of some type on the floor. I was thinking of using a roll on all-grip type of paint. I 've seen it used on fishing boat in the past.
Any input or sugg would be great!!

I saw on a TV show that Rhino Lining or Line X being used on some boat floors.

SunCoast 83
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Im replacing the carpet in mine this winter, but Im just going with the traditional route again.

x-10ron
10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I saw on a TV show that Rhino Lining or Line X being used on some boat floors.

Wow, truck bed lining, I never thought of that!!! I'll have to keep that in mind. thanks for the idea.
I was thinking about having the floor sprayed with gel coat, My only concern is where the deck meets the floor, and the cost. I really want to keep it a diy project.
Anybody else got a idea!!!!

ski_king
10-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Bed liner sounds like a good idea for under removable carpet, but if you plan to use withoutthe carpet it will be HOT HOT HOT on the feet.
I know there are some color choices other t han black, but the ones I have seen are all dark shades.

JohnE
10-07-2007, 10:46 AM
There was an article back in the early to mid 90's in waterski mag about the owner of Rhino liner (IIRC) restoring a ski boat (not sure if it was mc, but sort of rings a bell) and installing the bedliner in the boat. Anyone else remember that?

BrianM
10-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Bed liner sounds like a good idea for under removable carpet, but if you plan to use withoutthe carpet it will be HOT HOT HOT on the feet.
I know there are some color choices other t han black, but the ones I have seen are all dark shades.

I have seen white and light grey LineX

TMCNo1
10-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Shag carpet, so fluffy to the toes!

x-10ron
10-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Did these people coat under the seat and storage areas with the line x?

wakescene
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I did something like this...
I pulled the carpet up in my rear storage areas and used a Non-Skid type paint and repainted the floor in the storage areas. Reason I did this was that I got tired of trying to dry out the area or having to suck out the water with a shop vac. Worked great and you can even towel the area dry if your really anal.

Here's a few pics
http://karenandkevin.smugmug.com/gallery/3613176#205673712

x-10ron
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
thanks for the inputs guy's
I think that line-x is looking like the best choice right now,
I talked to the local line-x dealer today. They told me it's a messy job, 2500psi when spraying, so I think i'm going to try the roll-on stuff and do it myself!!!
Thanks

Sodar
10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
thanks for the inputs guy's
I think that line-x is looking like the best choice right now,
I talked to the local line-x dealer today. They told me it's a messy job, 2500psi when spraying, so I think i'm going to try the roll-on stuff and do it myself!!!
Thanks

I would be careful with Line-x, if you intend on having the floor out in the sun. My dad used line-x on an old Boston Whaler floor (it was used as a workboat) and it turned a horrible brownish-tan color from the sun in about 6 months. I know that Line-x has made improvements in UV protection in the last few years, but I would check it out before getting it sprayed.

94PS190
10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Love the bed liner idea. I just sprayed the interior of my jeep wrangler. I think the inside of a boat would be great. Cut carpet to size and have it bound, then snap into place over white liner sprayed floor.

x-10ron
10-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I would be careful with Line-x, if you intend on having the floor out in the sun. My dad used line-x on an old Boston Whaler floor (it was used as a workboat) and it turned a horrible brownish-tan color from the sun in about 6 months. I know that Line-x has made improvements in UV protection in the last few years, but I would check it out before getting it sprayed.

line-x guy told me the same thing, he sprays them black then puts a white topcoat of some special uv paint over it!!!
I keep the boat in my garage, and the floor would be cover with a snap in carpet while in use.
Now I just need to get my money together!!!
I'll try to post before and after pic.