PDA

View Full Version : Removable platform Maristar 210

rholmes
10-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Has anyone converted a Maristart 210 or 240 to a removable platform? This is the older model that is a direct drive, not v-drive (1990-94 I believe). Reason I ask is the grab railing runs all the way down and acts as part of the platform support. I am trying to fit this 21 footer in my 20Lx19w ft garage :confused: and this looks like it would help to remove the platform if I put it in crooked and install a swing away tongue (my trailer has surge brakes too, this isn't getting any easier). I just got the dreaded letter from my HOA that the boat has to leave the driveway immediately. Freakin nazi's. I love owning my own home and being told what I can and can't do with it. Anyways, Suggestion appreciated.

krra1
10-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Got to love the HOA's, clearly no one in yours owns a boat. I have seen the following which was done for winter storage and not everyday but not having seen your situation I am not sure if it can help. If your garage has drywall cut out small sections where the grab railing would hit and remove the platform. This will give your an extra 4 inches. Be Careful not to dump the second set of drywall as it could be a problem.

Jerseydave
10-07-2007, 09:33 AM
This may sound weird, but I cut a hole in my door (it's an old farm garage) to allow the tongue of the hitch to stick out. You could take it a step further and build a "box" to attach to the outside of the door after it's closed making it weathertight and keep out the animals.

Is your garage seperate from the house or attached?

rholmes
10-07-2007, 10:20 AM
The garage is attached, unfortunatrly, notching would never be allowed by my wife. You can understand that I'm sure.

Jerseydave
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Try posting in the marketplace on here, "wanted Maristar platform"

Maybe some dealers have a used teak platform they could sell you.
Try MYMC, Eric @ chicago MC and Jim @ BAWS. My dealer here in NJ had some teak ones, but they're out of business now.

TMCNo1
10-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Try posting in the marketplace on here, "wanted Maristar platform"

Maybe some dealers have a used teak platform they could sell you.
Try MYMC, Eric @ chicago MC and Jim @ BAWS. My dealer here in NJ had some teak ones, but they're out of business now.

The gentleman does not need another or a new platform, but a way of removing his existing platform to get it in his garage. The earlier Maristar's had the platform mounted in a round S/S type handrail loop on/near each corner of the transom and bolted to the transom just under the rubrail and then below on the lower part of the transom. He can remove the platform from inside the rails, but the handrail type brackets are esentially there for the duration and not easily removed to make the length of the boat shorter like most under the transom aluminum brackets.

rholmes
10-08-2007, 02:44 AM
bump, anyone? Or are replacement brackets made that could support the weight of a person standing on it if I do some cutting and have a someone cap off and weld thes/s rail?

MS240
07-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Maybe my comments are OBE for you. I have 90 240 and just removed the platform to paint it vs teak oil. Be careful loosening/removing the hand rails because you could break them if try to hurry the job trying to remove the platform. Takes at least an hour once you get the knack of it.

rholmes
07-25-2008, 01:18 AM
I did eventually get around to doing the teak, and I never ended up having problems with the platform coming off. We had to pry pretty hard, but nothing ever came from it. Why are you deciding to paint rather than oil it?

I did call up the guys suggested on here who make the brackets for a removable platform. I think the end tally on cost was going to be around $350. Eeek!