PDA

View Full Version : Private Lake Membership - How much do you pay?

jkski
10-06-2007, 08:07 AM
I know we have covered this before, however, it tends to change from year to year and I need some updated data so..........

If you are a member of a private lake, how much are you paying per year? Also, does that include the use of a "club boat" or is it a "bring your own boat" situation?
What limitations, if anything do you have on the amount of time you can use the lake?
How many members are on your particular lake?
What all does your lake offer (slalom course, seperate wakeboard area or is it all part of the same area) etc.?
How far do you drive(time) to get to your private spot?
Anything I am missing, please add.

Thanks in advance.

GNA001
10-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Association dues on our lake range from $200 (lake access lot) to $750 (lake front home).
Costs $100 to register your boat.
No Association limit as to how much you can use the lake. Unfortunately, it's very crowded on weekends so not great for watersports. Best time to go on our lake is week days.
I believe total membership is 1700.
The lake offers one slalom course.

jkski
10-06-2007, 08:39 AM
I pay $1200/year for a slalom lake that is roughly 40minutes from my home. A club boat option is offered that would bring my total up to $2400/year, but this includes gas, insurance, maint. etc.
We have 15 members in the club and if more than one member is there at a time, we take turns in 15min. increments.

pilot02
10-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Check Waterskiatlanta.com
I believe they are $1200 a year for dues and then another $600 for boat access but am not positive. I know that you have to bring gas with boat usage.

jkski
10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Check Waterskiatlanta.com
I believe they are $1200 a year for dues and then another $600 for boat access but am not positive. I know that you have to bring gas with boat usage.

I would think that would get a bit tough to manage/police, regarding the bring your own gas thing. I know at the lake I am currently on, they have a gas pump there for the club boat and all of the club boat members have a key, yet I always hear that the boat was left on empty and nobody ever seems to know who did it (and the gas is already included in this scenario).
I'll check-out that site. Thanks.

pilot02
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
I would think that would get a bit tough to manage/police, regarding the bring your own gas thing. I know at the lake I am currently on, they have a gas pump there for the club boat and all of the club boat members have a key, yet I always hear that the boat was left on empty and nobody ever seems to know who did it (and the gas is already included in this scenario).
I'll check-out that site. Thanks.

They're very serious about skiing and extremely strict on use of the boat. Hobbs times are recorded for each skier and driver, number of passes etc. I'm sure there's probably an occassional issue but I doubt it occurs often.

jkski
10-06-2007, 09:09 AM
They're very serious about skiing and extremely strict on use of the boat. Hobbs times are recorded for each skier and driver, number of passes etc. I'm sure there's probably an occassional issue but I doubt it occurs often.

Just came from their site and it is very impressive and looks very professional in all manners. Thanks for the tip.

kpickett
10-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Our lake is $1500 a year for the family. It's bring your own boat, but we can leave the trailers parked there for free. For us, it's 30 minutes door to lake. There are two lakes side-by-side - one is a slalom lake, the other is a wakeboard lake. There are about 12 family memberships on each lake.

The nice thing is - we're allowed unlimited guests. The rotation is by membership, so if I bring guests, we each take a turn in my rotation.

rodltg2
10-06-2007, 03:03 PM
kyle, did you join Villa Lagos?

i pay 1800 bring your own boat. 2 lakes 40 members, 10 weekday only members.

kpickett
10-06-2007, 08:09 PM
kyle, did you join Villa Lagos?

Yup. It's been a great summer there!

DwayneR
10-06-2007, 09:51 PM
800 a year here in Houston use your own boat.

jkski
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Looking for additional input, so keep it coming.

tex
10-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Single-$60 one time Initiation fee
$150 Annual fee
Family-$100 Initiation fee(2)($10/each additional)
$195 Annual fee(2)($25/each additional)

You get one semi privite site w/course and jump
You also get 3 miles of privite river with course.

BYOB-Bring your own boat!

CoFooter
10-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow, sounds like you guys are getting some great deals out there. I've been on two lakes out here. One is kind of a rec lake with 100 members, with the "lease" you get 80ft of lakefront where you can put you camper, shed, palapa bar, shade, whatever, and leave it for 6mths out of the year. Its a fairly large lake and tends to get busy on certain weekends during the summer, otherwise its not crowded. It has a course and its BYOB. Its $2500/yr. The other is a long, narrow gravel pit good for basically barefooting and not much else. I've been a member off and on for the last few years. There are 6 members and its $3000 each. Its also BYOB, but most time we just rotate boats and ski on each others. The first is about 40 minutes away, the second about 20.

Yellow X9
10-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Single-$60 one time Initiation fee
$150 Annual fee
Family-$100 Initiation fee(2)($10/each additional)
$195 Annual fee(2)($25/each additional)

You get one semi privite site w/course and jump
You also get 3 miles of privite river with course.

BYOB-Bring your own boat!

Where's this lake / River ? I live in DFW. I'd ;like to check it out

jkski
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Keep the input coming, I am trying to get a feel for what is a "fair" price to pay as I am nearing a lease agreement for a private spot and want to offer memberships.

Thanks.

tex
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Where's this lake / River ? I live in DFW. I'd ;like to check it out
www.metroplexskiclub.com

River is the Trinity.
Lake is Marine Creek.

Where do you live? We would love to have you out to ski!

Yellow X9
10-10-2007, 10:01 AM
www.metroplexskiclub.com

River is the Trinity.
Lake is Marine Creek.

Where do you live? We would love to have you out to ski!

N.Arlington, I know where marine creek is. I usually go out to Lake Arlington and run along the damm-boat traffic there is very minimal. I would enjoy checking out marine creek lake and joining up. Do I need to go thru the MetroPlex ski club to get access for putting the boat in there for checking the place out ?

tex
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
N.Arlington, I know where marine creek is. I usually go out to Lake Arlington and run along the damm-boat traffic there is very minimal. I would enjoy checking out marine creek lake and joining up. Do I need to go thru the MetroPlex ski club to get access for putting the boat in there for checking the place out ?
You need to get hooked up with a member to check it out. You also need to be a member of USA waterski. We can work out a one day membership if you need one. I know the guy who runs the club and can hook you up!

jkski
10-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Just looking for more input.....

jkski
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
OK, I know more people out there are part of a private site, or have looked into one, so, I want to get some feedback on what I am looking at.
I've got a site that will actually do well for slalom, wakeboard, and pretty much anything you want to do. The site is located in a good size city, where the nearest skiable lake is roughly 40minutes away. So, my question is, would you be willing to pay $2k/year to be a member of a lake like this, where you had unlimited access for as long as the season lasts (generally 7-8 months). Keep in mind that like most clubs, you would be required to share the water with your fellow members in terms of 15 minute increments, and it would be a "bring your own boat" situation.
So, would you pay $2k/year....if not what would you pay, or would you pay more?

rodltg2
10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
anywhere between 1800-2000 sounds fair. but thats based on what i know around here. in ohio will there be enough skiers who are willing to pay that.

jkski
10-16-2007, 03:30 PM
"Build it and they will come."
Sounds good at least! There are a lot of skiers that want to get on private water, however, the key to this working in Ohio (I think) will be to include the wakeboard crowd. While I am a slalom skier and footer, I realize that wakeboarding is where the sport is right now, and without that crowd, I doubt that enough people would participate to make this a fruitful venture. With that said, the lake is actually large enough that in the near future I will look to divide it with some type of wave barrier system and provide a slalom course side and a wakeboard/everything else side.
The other aspect that I am hoping plays in my favor is the price of gas. Currently, I pay $1200/year for the site I go to every day, which is also located 40 miles from my home, 1-way. So, add up the gas cost and all of the sudden $2k is a bargain. If the average user goes 2-3 times/week, and travels just as far as I do for a private site, then $2k is a great deal for them as well.

rodltg2
10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
depending on the site set up, wakeboarding may be a problem for the slalom guys. we have one guy who only wakeboards with a wakeboard type boat on our lake . he's definalty not a popular guy. the problem is that the wakes from the boat trashes the other boats on the dock. wakeboarders also tend to take a longer set then the set rule of 15minutes. boarders also like to come out in big groups where slaom skiers stay small.

River Rat
10-16-2007, 03:49 PM
http://www.intleague.com/ohio/index.html

Locate your local INT group, and host a tournament. They have allot of slalom skiers and it would give you great exposure to the crowd you are looking for.

jkski
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
True on all accounts and it certainly will not be without it's challenges. I am somewhat fortunate in that the site is still very moldable in terms of where the docks are set, so that they are protected. The lake itself is roughly 20 feet deep and so wakeboard boats of all sizes will be able to run without depth issues, which I am certain will cause other issues all together. I am sure it will be a work in progress, but comments like your are much appreciated in that they give me more to consider as I plan this out to work for everyone.
Keep the thoughts coming.

jkski
10-16-2007, 03:54 PM
http://www.intleague.com/ohio/index.html

Locate your local INT group, and host a tournament. They have allot of slalom skiers and it would give you great exposure to the crowd you are looking for.

Already talked to them and will be more than happy to work with them to help grow the sport and draw attention. My timeframe is such that it will most likely be 2009 before I can truly have a site that is able to host such an event, in terms of an area for spectators. We will have some land shaping to do, including a little shorline work to decrease bounce-back, however, my intent is to host as many tournaments as I can.

CoFooter
10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
A couple of comments.

A lot of this comes down to supply and demand. How many of this type of lake are in the area and how long are the waiting lists of people wanting to get on.

Here in Colorado, there isn't a lot of private water and there are long lines of people waiting to get on to those that open up. $2K to $3K is the going rate just about everywhere I have checked out. Other factors that help to determine price are number of members, if you can leave a camper there for the season (or day use only), any limitations on operating hours, distance people have to travel, etc,etc.

I personally find one, and even sometimes two at a time, memberships a bargain. Before this I was spending at least twice that per season hauling off to a far away lake on weekends to avoid the crowds. Add to that getting up at the crack of dawn to get good water, wear and tear on vehicles/family/boat, crappy conditions when you do get there that blow the whole weekend, etc, etc. and it does not become too hard to justify.

jkski
10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Great points. The supply of such facilities in our area is very small. The nearest such membership facility is 40miles away and it is a small slalom ditch with a waiting list(I happen to be a member there currently). We are fortunate, in terms of exposure, to have a site that is roughly 10miles from my proposed site, which is completely private and used by 1 family, and it sits along a major highway and gets a lot of exposure. The owner of this lake hosted the MasterCraft Pro a few years back and he is an avid supporter of the sport, and I know him well, so I am certain he would steer people in my direction.
In terms of camping, etc. that is a big thing, and certainly something to consider as I get this started.
Thanks again for the input, and keep it coming.

betsy&david Harrison
10-16-2007, 04:15 PM
We pay 1800.00 a year. But that doesn't include the assessments we get hit with for improvements to the lake and surrounding area.

mcdoon
10-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Anyone know of any lakes in the west Michigan area offering these memberships? I know there's one or two new man-made ski/wakebd lakes that just went in where they're selling lake lots in the $300K range, but that's about all I've heard -- and I don't know anyone who's thinking of buying one of those lots -- yet.

Raveryt
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
We have a one lake private site with Byob or Club boat options.

Our current lease rates are:

Byob individual membership $1,500.00 per year
Byob family membership $2,100.00 per year

Club boat individual membership $2,300.00 per year
Club boat family membership $3,300.00 per year

plus a $5.00 per set gas fee.

We currently have a couple of memberships avaliable.

Here is a link to some pictures of our site.

www.flickr.com/photos/lakelouisepics

Please note the beautiful Mastercrafts on our lake. Currently our lake is 100% Mastercraft.

Robert Averyt

jkski
10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
We have a one lake private site with Byob or Club boat options.

Our current lease rates are:

Byob individual membership $1,500.00 per year
Byob family membership $2,100.00 per year

Club boat individual membership $2,300.00 per year
Club boat family membership $3,300.00 per year

plus a $5.00 per set gas fee.

We currently have a couple of memberships avaliable.

Here is a link to some pictures of our site.

www.flickr.com/photos/lakelouisepics

Please note the beautiful Mastercrafts on our lake. Currently our lake is 100% Mastercraft.

Robert Averyt

Thanks for the info. How do you control the amount of time that each member has on the water? Do you utilize the 15 minute rotation that seems to be popular with other sites, or are you doing something different? Also, what constitutes a family membership (more than one person and do they need to be married or can they just be ski partners?)

Thanks in advance.

Raveryt
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Here is some of what we do.

I hope this helps

If anyone has helpful input for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Robert Averyt

Lake Louise Rules and Regulations

QUALIFICATIONS

Persons of either sex shall be eligible for full membership provided that:
They are reasonably competent swimmers
They sign a release and indemnification agreement
They are active members of the USA Waterski Association
Well-behaved children of responsible adults are welcomed and encouraged.

MEMBERSHIP DUES

The annual dues shall be due from all members and become payable without reminder annually from the date of joining

Memberships are non-transferable and cannot be subleased

Membership is contingent on a USA Waterski Association active membership.

GENERAL AND SITE RULES

Jump skiers are required to wear a helmet and a buoyancy aid

Slalom skiers are required to wear a buoyancy aid

Children under the age of 8 must be supervised by an adult. If children are on the dock, they must wear a life jacket

No swimming permitted within the boat/skier routes

The lake will be used only for waterskiing and barefooting (No inner-tubes or fishing will be allowed.)

No boats with wake enhancement products will be allowed on the lake
All boats must be towboats approved by the USA Waterski Association and carry a $500,000.00 minimum liability with the USA Waterski Association and Robert and Linda Averyt named as additional insured

All members must sign the USA Waterski Association practice logbook upon arrival at the lake

Membership does not give a member of the ski club the unlimited right to use the facilities at all times. The use of facilities, including the lake, will be restricted at certain times during the year. Some examples include tournaments, maintenance, and special events

Family memberships are based on a family of four with each additional member an additional $150.00
At the Averytís sole discretion, they reserve the right to refuse the use of the facilities to any person

Membership can be revoked at any time by Robert or Linda Averyt and annual dues will be returned on a prorated basis

All members must sign a release and indemnification agreement

If other members are waiting to ski, there will be a 6 pass limit per slalom set, 4 pass limit per jump set, and a 10 minute limit per trick set. No ski run shall exceed 10 minutes unless otherwise agreed upon

BOAT DRIVING RULES

Only experienced and authorized drivers may drive boats

An observer must always be carried when towing a jump skier

Observers must be over 12 years of age and be willing and capable of giving assistance to a skier in an emergency

Engine MUST BE SWITCHED OFF before taking a skier aboard

captain planet
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I hope your lake is close to me jkski so casx2 and I can come and join the fun!

jkski
10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Great advice and thanks for the input. Your rules are very straight forward and fair. Keep the advice coming.

CP...
YEP, the lake is close, roughly 10 minutes from my home.

captain planet
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Great advice and thanks for the input. Your rules are very straight forward and fair. Keep the advice coming.

CP...
YEP, the lake is close, roughly 10 minutes from my home.
Hey CASX2, you paying attention to this???!!!