PDA

View Full Version : weight machine

TheOneandOnly
10-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Which is better to buy all free weights or an all in one machine? We'd like to only spend around $500.00.

Footin
10-05-2007, 10:50 PM
500 bucks will buy alotta beer and you could do 12oz curls.

I got nuttin.

TheOneandOnly
10-05-2007, 10:53 PM
haha, we'll going to go used--noticed alot of ppl on craigslist selling equiptment they bought and never used for cheap. Gotta stick with the hard LQ to keep the unneeded weight off.

TMCNo1
10-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Yard Sales, they only way to go ands no shipping costs! They have their own payment plan! Must be like PayPal, cause if I ask if they take a check, they say, "Cashpal"!

RK@UST
10-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Which is better to buy all free weights or an all in one machine? We'd like to only spend around $500.00.
Totally depends on what you are trying to accomplish
Much more in depth than the question.

RK@UST
10-05-2007, 11:12 PM
by the way, One and Only
Does your member name have anything to do with Newcastle Beer. ?????
;) :D :)
I had one tonight and had to ask the question

Monte
10-05-2007, 11:26 PM
by the way, One and Only

My beer of the evening as well;) Never noticed that:rolleyes:

shepherd
10-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Free weights. Definitely. Just make sure you get a solid weight bench which can double as a squat rack (i.e., height-adjustable vertical supports). I bought most of my weights from a second-hand sporting goods store.

Don't waste your money on some cheesy machine. And any of the decent machines will cost you much more than your budget.

TheOneandOnly
10-06-2007, 03:54 PM
by the way, One and Only
;) :D :)

No, never drank one of those before, is that their slogan?:)

TheOneandOnly
10-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Free weights. Definitely. Just make sure you get a solid weight bench which can double as a squat rack (i.e., height-adjustable vertical supports). I bought most of my weights from a second-hand sporting goods store.

Don't waste your money on some cheesy machine. And any of the decent machines will cost you much more than your budget.

Were going to start looking, i'd prefer to keep it at 500.00. Most were willing to spend is 1000.00. I was looking at the freeweight benches as well vs some of the cheaper all inones.

Anyone use a boflex?

east tx skier
10-07-2007, 08:56 PM
You can get a weight cage with a lat pull down and butterfly for under $300. Adjustable bench will run about $75ish. Spend the rest on dumbbells.

Or just get a bowflex. Not quite the workout that free weights is, but still good and doesn't take up nearly as much room.

shepherd
10-07-2007, 10:05 PM
If you want to build muscle, you can't beat the all-round workout you get with the free weights. Walk into any Gold's Gym or other similar place -- the serious guys are in the back lifting the free weights. Sometimes they'll come out to the machines to do some muscle-specific exercises, but they live in the free weights area.

JohnE
10-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I vote for dumbells and and adjustable bench. Not much you can't do with that setup short of heavy squats and deadlifts. I've got dumbells 20 - 75 lbs and the adjustable bench and I've tossed any other equipment I had. Figure out what you are trying to accomplish and then determine which exercises to do.

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 11:21 AM
While I agree that dumbells are the best way to go, you'll still need some pullies for pull downs and rows (although you can technically do rows with dumbells).

tex
10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I thought you were trying to buy a boat? That is a nice weight machine...costs a little over $500.

fintek9
10-09-2007, 11:33 AM
If you want to build muscle, you can't beat the all-round workout you get with the free weights. Walk into any Gold's Gym or other similar place -- the serious guys are in the back lifting the free weights. Sometimes they'll come out to the machines to do some muscle-specific exercises, but they live in the free weights area.Very true, Gymed it for years! My brother owned a freewieght gym, loved it. Go through withdraws if I didn't go. He sold the gym, With my life style I have no time to go to a gym now! So we bought a BOW FLEX EXTREME 2 last fall and love it, Compact and does more then I need to keep in good shape!

starman205
10-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I have used a Bowflex for the past three years to stay in skiing shape. Pretty good simulation of most anything you can do in a gym. I upgraded it to 410lbs and have all of the accessories. I see your located in MN, check out craigslist there are some great deals on weight machines and bowflex machines that have been barely used.

fintek9
10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I had one of the first style bow flex fold up models yrs ago for my first wife, She didn't like the gym, bought her one still in the box out of the paper for $400, after divorce I sold it for $475 8 yrs later, granted the new models are a $1000 plus for some models but the convenience is unbeatable for a home gym. Do wish I had the room for free weight, maybe when the kids are gone I'll make a weight room:D

shepherd
10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
While I agree that dumbells are the best way to go, you'll still need some pullies for pull downs and rows (although you can technically do rows with dumbells).

Yes, one hand dumbbell rows are about as good as any other, though I do like doing the seated rows on the machine - sometimes with a slalom grip on the handle! As for pull downs, pull ups are a suitable (if not better) substitute - all you need is a high horizontal bar or a weight bench with the high chin-up handles.

Maristar210
10-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Bench with a squat rack. Put a bar in the ceiling of your garage to do pullup and buy a set up dipbars for triceps.

Too many people spend too much money on weight equipment when all they need to do is push ups sit ups and run. Go out and run a couple of miles. Try to be under 20 minutes for two miles, its a start...

I run 12months out of the year so save the weather is bad crybaby crap. I run in all kinds of weather including snowstorms. Builds character;)

shepherd
10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
I run 12months out of the year so save the weather is bad crybaby crap. I run in all kinds of weather including snowstorms. Builds character;)

Coming from a man in the great white north! You rule!
Treadmills are for wussies - get outside for some fresh air, enjoy the scenery.

fintek9
10-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Bench with a squat rack. Put a bar in the ceiling of your garage to do pullup and buy a set up dipbars for triceps.

Too many people spend too much money on weight equipment when all they need to do is push ups sit ups and run. Go out and run a couple of miles. Try to be under 20 minutes for two miles, its a start...

I run 12months out of the year so save the weather is bad crybaby crap. I run in all kinds of weather including snowstorms. Builds character;)Again, very true there Steve, Myself I stay in shape by boarding, snowboarding, climbing trees hunting, cutting wood for the cabin ect..very active...Wify likes the in house convenience, So anything to help her get her workout is good for me and since it's there I'll use it also. I do wish I could run but my knees don't like it, to much pounding.

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes, one hand dumbbell rows are about as good as any other, though I do like doing the seated rows on the machine - sometimes with a slalom grip on the handle! As for pull downs, pull ups are a suitable (if not better) substitute - all you need is a high horizontal bar or a weight bench with the high chin-up handles.

They are absolutely a great substitute if you can do them. Agree with Steve, too. $100 for a good pair of running shoes. Treadmills stink, but are a necessary evil when the weather stinks and you're addicted to running.

MYMC
10-09-2007, 01:03 PM
They are absolutely a great substitute if you can do them. Agree with Steve, too. $100 for a good pair of running shoes. Treadmills stink, but are a necessary evil when the weather stinks and you're addicted to running.
And you better believe this guy he has a PC based lap top and we all know how heavy those are ;)

ironj32
10-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I hate treadmills. Eliptacle's are the way to go...easy on the knees & feet!

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 02:46 PM
And you better believe this guy he has a PC based lap top and we all know how heavy those are ;)

That discussion is very last week, Mike. ;)

When BigMac started breaking out the charts and graphs, I declared personal victory and moved on. 8p

shepherd
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Eliptacle's are the way to go...easy on the knees & feet!

So are "rounds" :toast: :toast: :toast:

MYMC
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
That discussion is very last week, Mike. ;)

When BigMac started breaking out the charts and graphs, I declared personal victory and moved on. 8p
Thats me...always in the past;)

JohnE
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM

I only run Sept. - April on a regular basis. I don't seem to have (or make) time during the rest of the year. Now I only go 3-4 miles, but there is something about the bad weahter that motivates me a little with running. That and I have more free time on my hands.