PDA

View Full Version : Marine Industry Job Cuts

JBaker
10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Brunswick announced today that they are cutting a significant amount of their workforce, specifically at Sea Ray and Baja. Sales across the industry look to be way off, with most manufacturers reporting double digit declines in sales.

Although ski/wakeboard boats continue to be a relatively strong market segment, does anyone have a good barometer on MC given that they are losing marketshare in a stagnant industry?

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1015 (http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1015)

One has to wonder if there was indeed good reason for US Equity Partners to liquidate MC back in August.

jaysus
10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Given that it was difficult to get an ordered boat in February scheduled for June completion, I would say MC is holding their own.

Per MC they had a 200+% growth in the Saltwater Series, and they are constantly converting sea ray and cobalt owners to the inboard market with the maristar line and had an increase in sales and production for 07.

STLer645
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Well you can never be sure about the health of private companies. Probably your best “barometer” would be to look towards the public companies in its sector. The only ones I am familiar with are Fountain (FPB), Brunswick (BC) and to a lesser extent MarineMax (HZO), all have had an astoundingly horrible year. I would find it unlikely that MC is immune to this decay.

MYMC
10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Brunswick announced today that they are cutting a significant amount of their workforce, specifically at Sea Ray and Baja. Sales across the industry look to be way off, with most manufacturers reporting double digit declines in sales.

Although ski/wakeboard boats continue to be a relatively strong market segment, does anyone have a good barometer on MC given that they are losing marketshare in a stagnant industry?

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1015 (http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1015)

One has to wonder if there was indeed good reason for US Equity Partners to liquidate MC back in August.

Hmmm...this sure seems "troll like" but I'll play along. BTW if your going to site information try something current...Feburary 2007 hardly qualifies.

1) No MasterCraft has not lost market share...as a matter fact they gained this year. John Dorton was on the cover of the industry magazine asking how MasterCraft did/does it.

2) If you look at US Equity they sold when they said they would...they are not a long term player. Further I wouldn't apply the term "liquidate"...hardly a fire sale when you double your money.

There are plenty of headlines around...no need to create them:confused:

JBaker
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Hmmm...this sure seems "troll like" but I'll play along. BTW if your going to site information try something current...Feburary 2007 hardly qualifies.

1) No MasterCraft has not lost market share...as a matter fact they gained this year. John Dorton was on the cover of the industry magazine asking how MasterCraft did/does it.

2) If you look at US Equity they sold when they said they would...they are not a long term player. Further I wouldn't apply the term "liquidate"...hardly a fire sale when you double your money.

There are plenty of headlines around...no need to create them:confused:

Sorry didn't mean to sound like a troll. And by liquidate I simply meant turning the asset into cash - not implying a fire sale or anything.

MYMC
10-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Well you can never be sure about the health of private companies. Probably your best “barometer” would be to look towards the public companies in its sector. The only ones I am familiar with are Fountain (FPB), Brunswick (BC) and to a lesser extent MarineMax (HZO), all have had an astoundingly horrible year. I would find it unlikely that MC is immune to this decay.
You'd be wrong...so far so good. MC has had an tremendous year and 2008 boats are moving well...too well in some cases.

Try ordering an X-Star, PS214/X14, 190/197 for delivery in the first half and you'll find out all available production slots are sold. Going into the 2nd half the 190/197 picture doesnt get much better.

MYMC
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Sorry didn't mean to sound like a troll. And by liquidate I simply meant turning the asset into cash - not implying a fire sale or anything.
I apologize for the tone of my response...MC is doing very well right now.