PDA

View Full Version : Well, I pulled the trigger....87 PS is Mine

defender1009
10-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks to all for their input when I was looking at this boat---just had my mechanic look at it. Compression was 125 on 7 cylinders, 120 on #3---he wasn't too concerned about that. Also, only other things he saw were that the strut had a little play (he attributed to the bushing), and the shaft had about .005 runout (which he said was within tolerance).

Soooo, looks like I have a fun project on my hands....plan to spend the offseason doing a little cosmetic (doesn't need much) and a lot of electrical work. I'll be sure to post pics along the way, and I'll go ahead and thank everyone for all the good info already in the archives.

Monte
10-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks to all for their input when I was looking at this boat---just had my mechanic look at it. Compression was 125 on 7 cylinders, 120 on #3---he wasn't too concerned about that. Also, only other things he saw were that the strut had a little play (he attributed to the bushing), and the shaft had about .005 runout (which he said was within tolerance).

Soooo, looks like I have a fun project on my hands....plan to spend the offseason doing a little cosmetic (doesn't need much) and a lot of electrical work. I'll be sure to post pics along the way, and I'll go ahead and thank everyone for all the good info already in the archives.

Way to go..

We will need pictures;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Way to go..

We will need pictures;)
TRU DAT!:D

Leroy
10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Good work Defender! I'm kinda wanting a project boat like that myself.

uawaterskier
10-05-2007, 10:24 PM
congrats!!!!!!

Footin
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM
My first Mastercraft was an 87 190, great machine.

TMCNo1
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Now the fun begins! Congratulations, if anybody can help, just hollar!

Monte
10-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Got any pictures for us yet??

defender1009
10-06-2007, 12:05 PM
as a matter of fact, I just took some pics yesterday! Here you go.....

I've gotta get this trailer re-done soon....should be able to find a place to blast it, but powder-coaters here seem to be scarce. I think if I head about 45 minutes north to NC (where all the NASCAR team's shops are, I should be able to find a place....)

After that, I plan on re-doing all the wiring and gauges.......then the fun stuff (cosmetics)....

Monte
10-06-2007, 02:46 PM
That is a good looking boat!!! congrats!!!

TMCNo1
10-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Nice looking boat!

mayo93prostar
10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
good find. nice boat. some interesting things on it that are not stock. no latch bar on trailer (put boat buddy on it). the metal grab rail alongside the gunnel has been replaced by white plastic grab handles, the carpet on top of the motor cover uphosltery, and the mastercraft lettering on the upholstery. i agree, the trailer needs some painting but better than some I have seen. how many hours on it?

TMCNo1
10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
good find. nice boat. some interesting things on it that are not stock. no latch bar on trailer (put boat buddy on it). the metal grab rail alongside the gunnel has been replaced by white plastic grab handles, the carpet on top of the motor cover uphosltery, and the mastercraft lettering on the upholstery. i agree, the trailer needs some painting but better than some I have seen. how many hours on it?

I agree, do something to keep the boat from sliding rearward if the strap breaks or forward if you slam on brakes or you will have a asphalt boat or a rear window/truck bed boat.

defender1009
10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks TMC---coming from you that means something!

Mayo---It has about 520 total hours on it, but an engine rebuild was done approx. 120 hours ago. You have a good eye for detail----the grab rails are one of the "stock" features I want back on there---they seem a lot more useful and asthetically pleasing than the bayliner specials that the PO replaced them with---any ideas on where to find these?

The upholstery I think is about 10 years old, but still looks great (I like the lettering too). The carpet on the engine box bugged me at first, but it's growing on me---it makes sense considering how that spot in the boat serves as a stool, seat, and table.

TMCNo1
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks TMC---coming from you that means something!

Mayo---It has about 520 total hours on it, but an engine rebuild was done approx. 120 hours ago. You have a good eye for detail----the grab rails are one of the "stock" features I want back on there---they seem a lot more useful and asthetically pleasing than the bayliner specials that the PO replaced them with---any ideas on where to find these?

The upholstery I think is about 10 years old, but still looks great (I like the lettering too). The carpet on the engine box bugged me at first, but it's growing on me---it makes sense considering how that spot in the boat serves as a stool, seat, and table.

Where are you located, I'm in Winston Salem.

PM to you!

jbfootin
10-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Great looking boat. I had a '88 PS190 and loved. This one looks very clean!

defender1009
10-10-2007, 02:40 PM
The trailer safety item you mention brings up something I've been pondering. On my last boat the transom lifting rings were outboard of the swim platform, and could also be used as trailer tie-down points. On this boat they are mounted above the swim platform, which makes that difficult. I have never believed in towing a boat without transom tie-down straps-----how are you guys accomplishing this? Only thing I could think of was threading the strap through the swim platform, but that seemed less than ideal.

TMCNo1
10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
In nearly 19 years and over 30,000 miles towing our '89 I have never used any kind of rear straps/strap because of the lifting eyes over the platform and I don't care to run a strap from fender to fender over the gunnels, especially while running long distances with a cover on.

The Boat Buddy retro fit dimensions that Monte 72 is sending you, he got from me, from when I added the Boat Buddy system to our trailer in 1997, I got them from MC. If you have any questions, just give me a hollar. When finished, if you redo your trailer, it should look somewhat like this,

JohnE
10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
TMC1 has certainly trailered more than I have. But I had an '89 Prostar that would move around a little more than I liked on the trailer. Personally I would tie the transom down somehow.

But, more importantly, great looking boat. Good luck with it. The carpeted motor box caught my eye too. Looks a little funny at first glance, but does make sense. I step on my motorbox a lot.