PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Wrap

Leroy
10-05-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm thinking of shrink wrap this winter. I've lost the indoor storage I had the past several winters.

It doesn't look like an easy do it your self project. Anyone else do it? Suggestions? How happy have you been with it? Prices?

Thanks!

Jesus_Freak
10-05-2007, 02:43 AM
I imagine the first step will be hoisting the boat with cables so that you can work on all of it. Then begin wrapping until you are blue in the face. Make the wrap dark colored to prevent sundamage, and we should be good to do. What else am I missing? That is how furniture is prepared for moving.

Farmer Ted
10-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm thinking of shrink wrap this winter. I've lost the indoor storage I had the past several winters.

It doesn't look like an easy do it your self project. Anyone else do it? Suggestions? How happy have you been with it? Prices?

Thanks!

Leroy,

if you're looking at a DIY option, check out www.uline.com (http://www.uline.com) I received a catalog from them awhile back and I think they have the stuff

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_2414.asp?desc=Marine%2FIndustrial+S hrink+Film+Rolls

Leroy
10-05-2007, 08:17 AM
JF; There is a good how to video on here. It doesn't look hard, but the heat guns are expensive.

http://www.shrink-wrap-film.com/

Leroy
10-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Farmer Ted; Everything looks easy but the heat gun cost $650!

Farmer Ted
10-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Farmer Ted; Everything looks easy but the heat gun cost $650!

how much would it cost for a dealer to wrap the boat?

go into the shrink wrap business?

I could make you a banner or some magnetic door signs,

Leroys Boat Wrapping, Wrap That Rascal

you might be able to get away with using a butane torch?

dpolen
10-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I think I've seen some ads up here for about $10-15/ft for shrink-wrapping. Not cheap.

Leroy
10-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I can buy a spool of material that would cover my boat for 7 years for $120. Over 7 years it would pay back several times with the price dpolen's listed.

Maristar210
10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Leroy,

Our company uses this for shrink wrappring equipment headed overseas to protect it from the salt but really it was designed for boats.

If you were here I would shrink wrap your boat for free..

http://www.dr-shrink.com/

dpolen
10-05-2007, 09:51 AM
From what I've read, I think its pretty easy to do.

On the other hand, I've known guys that have used the large moving plastic (kinda like a big spool of saran wrap) and they have found it to be a cheaper alternative...not as sexy as the blue shrink wrap.

Maybe your local dealer has a new boat plastic wrap that he'll sell you that you could reuse. A friend of mine bought one from the Malibu dealer when he was moving across country. Just an idea.

Roonie's
10-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I have the new boat plastic cover I got from my dealer. It is completely waterproof and works great for storage. I used it for part of a road trip but am glad I have it for storage reasons. I had to modify it since when new boats shipped they have tower off so no tower holes on cover.

JimN
10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Farmer-

"you might be able to get away with using a butane torch?"

You mean a little one for plumbing? I don't think anyone has that much time. The ones for shrink-wrapping have a long, narrow opening and a trigger that allows an "idle" setting and a "WOT" setting so you don't waste propane.

JimN
10-05-2007, 10:43 AM
"From what I've read, I think its pretty easy to do"

It's not that hard but you have to be careful so the wrap doesn't get stuck to the vinyl seats and backrests, decals, has vents, doesn't burn through (very easy) and the straps are tight.

jaysus
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
The heat gun takes some practice too. Easy to burn through or to leave the wrap too thin. Also, strapping, framing and not burning the decals is something only practice can ensure. Be careful near the gas vent too.

Much more reasonable to pay the price per foot, you can get 3-5 years of wrapping if you pay per foot before you would break even on the equipment, never mind the time it would take you to master the shrink gun.

ride
10-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Anything to consider for humidity control? I'd imagine moisture/condensation=big mildew problem by spring. I'm thinking about storing the boat in the barn this winter and am considering shrink wrapping from the rub-rail up to ensure the varmints stay off/out. I'm admittedly a little too vane when it comes to mouse-pee on the mooring cover...

jss101
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I've had my boat shrink wrapped every year, and I store it outside. Actually it's been two boats I've stored this way. One season I had a small problem with mildew. All others have been just perfect. The important thing is to make sure there's some airflow. The year I got the mildew it was wrapped completely tight. The experts put in some ventalation grids at strategic points to allow air but no water or snow. Sometimes I've had these anti-mildew things in the boat which may have helped, but it seemed to be ok without them if there was good ventilation.

I've always had a dealer do it for me. The going rate in the NE is $15/foot. If you do have a dealer do it, you can ask about recycling the plastic. Twice I've been able to get a "free" (nothing's free!) UPS sticker that you could use to ship the discarded plastic somewhere for recycling. Otherwise I've just taken it to the dump in the spring. That part is a shame. It's a lot of non-biodegradable plastic, so I like the recycling option when I can get it.

Leroy
10-05-2007, 03:32 PM
One place I saw sold vents for the shrink wrap. Or else you can put dri-absorb (forget the real name) in there but think it needs to be changed about once a month so moisture seems like a problem, but many boats get shrink wrapped.

jaysus
10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Damp Rid is the name of the pellets that absorb the moisture. As long as you vent it well at the bow, transom and sides you will have good airflow through the boat all winter.

Up here in NE we need to wrap with a frame for "snow-shed"(unless you can do dry/heated winter storage).

Leroy
10-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I got two quotes today $250 and $279......

Jerseydave
10-07-2007, 09:51 AM
To me, those quotes seem fair considering you'll pay at least double that for indoor storage I would think.

Considering the value of your boat, a small price to pay for protection.