PDA

View Full Version : peyton place local politics continues

phecksel
10-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok, my wife resigned out of frustration. She was literally the buffer between the inmates running the asylum and maintaining a professional environment, that was actually concerned with moving the community forward. Since then, a big developer, who had a fantastic project planned has pulled out, the surrounding communities and county have pulled out of joint projects, and now this (http://www.bellevilleview.com/stories/100407/loc_20071004002.shtml)!

http://www.bellevilleview.com/stories/100407/loc_20071004002.shtml

My fear, it's too late to do anything, including leaving. Nothing, and I mean nothing is selling in this area. Retired city manager literally gave his house away to get out of dodge.

shepherd
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
My fear, it's too late to do anything, including leaving. Nothing, and I mean nothing is selling in this area. Retired city manager literally gave his house away to get out of dodge.

So... you're saying there are some good deals on the local real estate? What about waterfront? Is there a ski course on Belleville Lake?

phecksel
10-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Prices haven't dropped to match the market. Belleville has always had great deals. Ski course and jump...although our club is struggling

Leroy
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Phecksel; how are you related to JB's?

milkmania
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok, my wife resigned out of frustration. She was literally the buffer between the inmates running the asylum and maintaining a professional environment, that was actually concerned with moving the community forward. Since then, a big developer, who had a fantastic project planned has pulled out, the surrounding communities and county have pulled out of joint projects, and now this (http://www.bellevilleview.com/stories/100407/loc_20071004002.shtml)!

http://www.bellevilleview.com/stories/100407/loc_20071004002.shtml

you ever heard the saying "I once complained for having no shoes, then I met a man with no feet"?

What that means to me is if I think I've got it bad, someone else has got it worse.

Link:
Suicide in Council Chambers leaves witnesses shocked, shaken (http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2007/10/05/update-suicide-in-council-chambers-leaves-witnesses-shocked-shaken/)

(http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2007/10/05/update-suicide-in-council-chambers-leaves-witnesses-shocked-shaken/)

Maristar210
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Double post.... sorry

Maristar210
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Hecksel,

Wow... Remind me to not stop for a beer in Bellevue...

What's the motive in shutting it down? Who hates the guy?

phecksel
10-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Phecksel; how are you related to JB's?
Not at all.

Monte
10-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Hecksel,

Steve, evidently you can stop and drink as much as you want as long as you don't stop at JB's.

phecksel
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Hecksel,

Not sure. There was another very successful bar that was getting a bit out of control, and the police performed the same action and closed it down a couple of years ago. There were several reports the police department, while on duty and in uniform, were visiting local restaurants to collect signatures to make a charter amendment change preventing the "outsourcing" of the police department without prior voter approval. City manager that was run out of town was starting an investigation into the allegations. suddenly there was a very active discredit campaign waged against him. Faster then he could respond to one set of lies, another set was brought out. What's interesting are the bed fellows that joined forces to drive the city manager out. They have their own, competing agendas, but needed the same thing, city manager gone. Can't wait for their agendas to clash, that's when the real fun will begin. If the city isn't bankrupt in 3 years, I'll be shocked! One of the promises that was made, if a certain supportive drama creator/stirrer runs for office, the dispatch and jail cells will be "un-outsourced". Problem with that, there is NO budget money to accomplish that, and even worse, the twp who the city contracted with has said, you pull that stunt, and it will be a very long time before we will get involved with the city again, on anything. Even on the firing of the city manager, the city attorney advised them not to do it. The council swing vote, made his decision because that would make all the drama go away. Not because it was the right thing to do, but he just wanted cum-by-ya. Hilarious moment, after two years of my prompting to get control of the city web page, as it was owned and controlled by an ex city contract employee {that in itself was a long story}, they finally went out for bids. So instead of having anybody on staff who knows anything about computers, came to me to evaluate bids to a bad rfq. Sorry, too busy with family obligations right now! Maybe they should have considered that before firing the only person that could do more with computers then turn them on.

If you stop for beer, it better be at my house, and I'll provide a safe route, LOL

phecksel
10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
you ever heard the saying "I once complained for having no shoes, then I met a man with no feet"?

What that means to me is if I think I've got it bad, someone else has got it worse.

Link:
Suicide in Council Chambers leaves witnesses shocked, shaken (http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2007/10/05/update-suicide-in-council-chambers-leaves-witnesses-shocked-shaken/)

(http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2007/10/05/update-suicide-in-council-chambers-leaves-witnesses-shocked-shaken/)

WOW!

Not knowing the details of what he was asking for or why it was turned down, his violent reaction indicates to me he was wronged. It appears the same environment that we are dealing with, small group of people, who put forth their self servicing interests at the expense of others.

We had a small grocery store that sold fantastic quality meat. Some of the best I've ever had. Police harassed the owner until one day he "threatened" a police officer with a screwdriver. He was arrested and eventually had to sell the store. It was rumored the police wanted the business shut down so they could take over the store, which is attached to city hall. apparently having 50% of the available space wasn't enough. Kinda back fired, because it is now a packed liquor store!

There was a person that wanted to set up a day care in the city. We threw more roadblocks in their way then I've ever seen. I was adamant as a planning commission member, these road blocks be cleared. The owner has several times thanked me, as they are doing a thriving business.

My wife, while on council, was approached by one business owner who was specifically told my someone in a position of power, that if the person of power's company wasn't hired to do some work, the new business would not be allowed to open. It took several months of work for that person of power to realize unless they resigned, criminal charges were going to be filed. Unlike the current environment, it was handled quietly and behind the scenes. Of course that person has threatened to sue now, claiming defamation of character, LOL. We even have a video tape of this person damaging property and threatening a person because he didn't get his way on something. If in fact he decides to sue for defamation of character, all his character flaws get to come out, and he's got a doozy of a character!

I've seen in our little town, too many people forget these are peoples lives and livelihoods they are messing with. At some point, people will get fed up and lash out. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle these situations. Letting the barber speak may have allowed him to say his piece. I'd be curious what happened between the 1st and 2nd readings. If there was enough of a problem with his request, they should have told him before it got to the 1st reading, or at a minimum before the 2nd reading. We had a business come to the planning commission and publically, we expressed concern for the project. It also was dropped on us without proper notice, which should have never happened... But, the developer was taken aside, and before we could reject it at the next meeting, he pulled his project, and couple of months later resubmitted it, and it was passed.

Monte
10-05-2007, 01:46 PM
WOW!

Not knowing the details of what he was asking for or why it was turned down, his violent reaction indicates to me he was wronged. It appears the same environment that we are dealing with, small group of people, who put forth their self servicing interests at the expense of others.

We had a small grocery store that sold fantastic quality meat. Some of the best I've ever had. Police harassed the owner until one day he "threatened" a police officer with a screwdriver. He was arrested and eventually had to sell the store. It was rumored the police wanted the business shut down so they could take over the store, which is attached to city hall. apparently having 50% of the available space wasn't enough. Kinda back fired, because it is now a packed liquor store!

There was a person that wanted to set up a day care in the city. We threw more roadblocks in their way then I've ever seen. I was adamant as a planning commission member, these road blocks be cleared. The owner has several times thanked me, as they are doing a thriving business.

My wife, while on council, was approached by one business owner who was specifically told my someone in a position of power, that if the person of power's company wasn't hired to do some work, the new business would not be allowed to open. It took several months of work for that person of power to realize unless they resigned, criminal charges were going to be filed. Unlike the current environment, it was handled quietly and behind the scenes. Of course that person has threatened to sue now, claiming defamation of character, LOL. We even have a video tape of this person damaging property and threatening a person because he didn't get his way on something. If in fact he decides to sue for defamation of character, all his character flaws get to come out, and he's got a doozy of a character!

I've seen in our little town, too many people forget these are peoples lives and livelihoods they are messing with. At some point, people will get fed up and lash out. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle these situations. Letting the barber speak may have allowed him to say his piece. I'd be curious what happened between the 1st and 2nd readings. If there was enough of a problem with his request, they should have told him before it got to the 1st reading, or at a minimum before the 2nd reading. We had a business come to the planning commission and publically, we expressed concern for the project. It also was dropped on us without proper notice, which should have never happened... But, the developer was taken aside, and before we could reject it at the next meeting, he pulled his project, and couple of months later resubmitted it, and it was passed.

Dude! It sounds like the police are acting like the mafia in your town. I would feel inclined to call in your SBI.. That is crazy.. A badge doesn't give them the right to harass business owners, put people out of business, and such.. Are any of the other local establishments owned by police officers or city council members??

phecksel
10-05-2007, 03:24 PM
1/2 the council is acting that way. With my wife there, they were able to at least control it. Since she's left, it's out of control. City Clerk has had her job repeatidly threatened, she's months away from being vested and she was told they will fire her before she gets vested. Same city clerk who is working her rear off as interim city manager.

Speaking of city manager. The geniuses came up with the exact same search plan that got them the ZERO qualified candidates. That's how the city council member got to be the city manager and then fired. It's a riot, because a city manager typically makes $125k per year. They are paying 62,000 requiring 4 yr degree and experience...when pigs fly. One long term employee (20 yrs?) said he's been through 13 city managers. The geniuses pointed to a nearby city and how they got their city manager and how little he was paid. What the geniuses missed, was they were off almost 10k on his pay, he receives a new city paid auto, and he has outstanding benefits. My wife talked to him and asked him why he didn't apply to Belleville...think he's still laughing. the guy they fired, had a phd in theology, and stated up front to NOT consider his degree, it was not applicable, but instead take the work he had done for the city into consideration. He did a phenominal job and managed to balance a difficult budget. the day after the budget was finalized, the tables turned on him, including people yelling during council sessions. It was incredible to watch, and apparent that a couple of people were really stirring up the community with lies and accusations. literally too many people without enough to do.

milkmania
10-05-2007, 03:34 PM
WOW!

no different than getting in someone's wallet:twocents:

milkmania
10-05-2007, 03:38 PM
1/2 the council is acting that way. With my wife there, they were able to at least control it. Since she's left, it's out of control. City Clerk has had her job repeatidly threatened, she's months away from being vested and she was told they will fire her before she gets vested. Same city clerk who is working her rear off as interim city manager.

Speaking of city manager. The geniuses came up with the exact same search plan that got them the ZERO qualified candidates. That's how the city council member got to be the city manager and then fired. It's a riot, because a city manager typically makes $125k per year. They are paying 62,000 requiring 4 yr degree and experience...when pigs fly. One long term employee (20 yrs?) said he's been through 13 city managers. The geniuses pointed to a nearby city and how they got their city manager and how little he was paid. What the geniuses missed, was they were off almost 10k on his pay, he receives a new city paid auto, and he has outstanding benefits. My wife talked to him and asked him why he didn't apply to Belleville...think he's still laughing. the guy they fired, had a phd in theology, and stated up front to NOT consider his degree, it was not applicable, but instead take the work he had done for the city into consideration. He did a phenominal job and managed to balance a difficult budget. the day after the budget was finalized, the tables turned on him, including people yelling during council sessions. It was incredible to watch, and apparent that a couple of people were really stirring up the community with lies and accusations. literally too many people without enough to do.

pointing out two huge problems right here

we've got the same going on here with school boards......
they want to run our little hick town school just like the nearest city's school with hundreds of businesses

can't be done

phecksel
10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
The only reason are schools aren't totally F*, the administration does a decent job. They do some things I don't like, but considering the area, they have a challenging job. School board didn't overwhelm me, especially since I doubt most of them have any post HS education. It is kind of funny watching them get swayed by the admin tho.