PDA

View Full Version : The Official Boat Test-Ski Poll

shepherd
10-04-2007, 02:33 PM
OK, UMP's peeps got me to thinking. I was wondering how many of you guys and girls actually did a "test ski" or "test board" behind a boat before you bought it? Did you ever do it and decide not to buy the boat?

I've owned a few (OK, two) ski boats in my life. I've never skied behind one before buying it. Test drive? Yes.

Also, dealers please chime in. Do you normally give "test skis?"

captain planet
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
In a year or two I will be replacing my 1998 PS 190. I will either get a 214 w/ tower, or get a TT 197. I know how the 197 skiis because my buddy has one. I like the idea of the 214, but was only behind it once when it was 50 degrees with the wind blowing at the beginning of the season when I wasn't ready to see how the wake is.

When it comes time to buy, I will DEFINATELY ski the 214 immediately after skiing the 197 before I decide.

The short answer is; YES.

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't buy a boat without a nice long test drive, including a test ski.

shepherd
10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I meant to ask "Have you ever?" test-skied a boat. I know a lot of people say they would/should but I was wondering how common the practice actually is.

I know that if I was a seller, somebody better give me some assurance that they are really going to buy the boat before I hook it up, tow it to the lake, and burn up gas pulling him around on his ski!

MYMC
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
We do whatever the customer wants up to and including skiing or boarding.

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
I meant to ask "Have you ever?" test-skied a boat. I know a lot of people say they would/should but I was wondering how common the practice actually is.

I know that if I was a seller, somebody better give me some assurance that they are really going to buy the boat before I hook it up, tow it to the lake, and burn up gas pulling him around on his ski!

As a recent seller, I was prepared to meet up with potential buyers for some water testing, which would've included a pull were they so inclined. The day before Rod officially had a deal, I got a call from someone local wanting to see it and test drive it. Had Rod not bought the boat, I'm sure I'd have been pulling those guys around. Sometimes you have to earn that money you get selling yourself over trading in or going the consignment route.

Roonie's
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Recently sold an old boat I had and we did a water test. Rode around a lake for 45 minutes. They ended up not buying it. But sold it shortly after to someone else.

PendO
10-04-2007, 04:52 PM
If it is a private party boat I would test ride, and if it is not under warranty (new) I would test drive

Muttley
10-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I knew wanted a Mastercraft. I wanted a bow rider and I wanted a deal on a boat in excellent condition. I knew that the hulls changed in
'92, and 285 HP would be nice over the old 250 HP. I'd heard that the PS205 slalom wake is one of the best (if not THE best) for a bow rider.

When I went to look at the boat (only a month ago), as soon as the guy opened the garage I heard the word "SOLD!!" scream thru my brain. We took it to the lake about 2 minutes from his house and dipped it in enough to spark it up and hear it run. The tiny little lake was really busy and jet skis were buzzing like gnats, so that was good enough for me. It was mint, only 400 hours, garage kept, shiny gelcoat, perfect prop & skegs, one tiny seam rip in the driver's seat upholstery.

I got it home and went through all the importing and licensng stuff (bought in Washington, brought it back to Canada) and finally dipped it in the local lake 2 weeks later. I fell in love with it even more!

Now if this $#@% rain would stop so I could get it out one more time...

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I knew wanted a Mastercraft. I wanted a bow rider and I wanted a deal on a boat in excellent condition. I knew that the hulls changed in
'92, and 285 HP would be nice over the old 250 HP. I'd heard that the PS205 slalom wake is one of the best (if not THE best) for a bow rider.

When I went to look at the boat (only a month ago), as soon as the guy opened the garage I heard the word "SOLD!!" scream thru my brain. We took it to the lake about 2 minutes from his house and dipped it in enough to spark it up and hear it run. The tiny little lake was really busy and jet skis were buzzing like gnats, so that was good enough for me. It was mint, only 400 hours, garage kept, shiny gelcoat, perfect prop & skegs, one tiny seam rip in the driver's seat upholstery.

I got it home and went through all the importing and licensng stuff (bought in Washington, brought it back to Canada) and finally dipped it in the local lake 2 weeks later. I fell in love with it even more!

Now if this $#@% rain would stop so I could get it out one more time...

Hindsight being 20/20, thought I took my 93 on a good test drive, had I known what I know now, I'd have run it longer. Does your boat have a 4010 carb on it?

sanjuan23
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Mine does but only because I am lazy :)

Leroy
10-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I didn't even hear the engine when I bought my Maristar 230 new in 2001. Not that I am disappointed, but IF I buy again I would test drive and ski behind it.

jbfootin
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I have owned 2 used MCs and sold one. Both purchases and one sale all had test drive/ skies.

Never bought a new one:rolleyes: Some day.....

Muttley
10-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Hindsight being 20/20, thought I took my 93 on a good test drive, had I known what I know now, I'd have run it longer. Does your boat have a 4010 carb on it?

I dunno... I'll have to look. How would I tell?

Why? What were your issues?

I put two hours on the clock when I had it out. It sparked up cold after two pumps (typical Ford - even marinized). Not so much as a hiccup. Temp and oil remained constant. No hesitations, no ticks or knocks... it ran smooth like butta.

JohnnyB
10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Have test driven every boat I have ever owned (all used), including 2 MCs. Test skied the last MC I purchased.

JohnE
10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I've bought 3 used Mc's and haven't tested one prior to purchase. '89 prostar in '03, '88 tristar in '06 and '05 prostar in '07. All were absolutely perfect in every way with no disappointment whatsoever. The "feel" I got from each buyer (no below the belt comments) made me feel right about the boats. The '89 was purchased from original owner with 185 hours, the '88 had 450 hours bought from second owner, and the '05 was from MYMC.

With that said, I would not suggest buying without an on water test unless the value warrants it.

ski_king
10-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Dealer had both the MasterCraft and the CC. I drove and skied them both. Then bought the best one.

Muttley
10-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Okay, East Tx, I took a look last night and the only number I could find on the Holley carb was 12P-10554B. It doesn't say anything about it being a 4010.

Was there an inherant problem with the 4010?

ProTour X9
10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Should've ski tested it, quite disappointed in the ski wake.

Footin
10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Drove from Columbus to Nashville to look at my 205, test drove it in mid December (bbuurrrrrr) but did not ski behind it. I have not been disappointed.

M-Funf
10-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I've only owned two boats. The first was owned by a friend...I skied behind it for many years. I bought the '76 with no test drive, no test ski...It's been solid. :cool:

MC2000190
10-05-2007, 10:09 PM
I knew I wanted a MasterCraft but I wanted to experience it before I dropped a couple G's on it!

/Users/awcain2003/Desktop/IMG_0021_1.JPG

h2oskiluvr
10-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I was totally clueless when in 2002 I purchased a 2000 PS 190. The wake was a bit of a problem for me and my die hard slalom friends. I really wish that had done some research and did a "test ski" behind it. That 22' off rooster tail was just freakin' nuts. At any rate, I am very happy with my 2005 PS 197. No need to test ski as I had skied behind four or five boats with the same hull. Awesome boat, I couldn't be happier.

sortloff
10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
I found the boat in Nevada City, CA (on this website). Flew to Sacramento, rented an Expedition, and pulled it back to Oklahoma!

The owner lived 5 minutes from a small reservoir, so I took it for a test drive. That was all I needed to know I wasn't making a mistake. It ran great, and has a great wake for a larger boat. I've taken it out 5 times since purchasing it on 9/28. LOVE IT!

Maristar210
10-09-2007, 03:56 PM
We do whatever the customer wants up to and including skiing or boarding.

I'll see you in March and bring it back in November??????

Jesus_Freak
10-10-2007, 05:02 AM
I was moving from sterndrive wakes to prostar 205 wakes, so I definitely had to test-ski it. The 205 wakes were not necessarily better, just different.

bbeach
10-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I test drove mine twice before I bought it! And ski'd behind it once... 325 hours later I'm still happy!

Ryan
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I test drove my boat, but did not ski it. Who needs to ski it when it is known for having the best slalom wake? Someone could tell you it runs great, you could start it in the driveway, but boats can act differently in the water.

Now, next time I buy a boat I'll most likely drive and ski it, especially if it is any type of cross-over boat. I will want to make sure it is sufficiently skiable.

Sodar
10-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I skiied behind my 190 prior to buying it. My 197 I couldn't because of break-in and the fact that the boat was 2200 miles from me. When I sold my 190, the guy and his 2 brothers all skiied behind the boat. Pretty bad story, but I had left enough fuel in the boat to do a test drive, not do 3 ski runs, so sure enough on the last pass, the boat ran out of gas and had to be swam back to the dock.... luckily, they loved it and still bought the boat!

TRBenj
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
With that said, I would not suggest buying without an on water test unless the value warrants it.
Good point. I bought a project boat without seeing it in person. It wasnt running anyways, so driving/skiing was out of the question. The price made that a moot point, though.

All the serious boats my family has owned over the last 15 years have been test driven and skied before purchase- sort of. I broke through the ice in November to test drive and ski behind mine (I bought used), and we skied a '92 promo boat before purchasing. My dad's current boat was special ordered- so we didnt ski the exact boat before buying. I believe my dad drove it before taking delivery, though, and we did test drive and ski the dealer's promo boat before finalizing the order.