PDA

View Full Version : engine differnce

oldriver
10-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Hello ,in 1998-1999 the PS:D 190 had the corvette engine option,in 2000 the same boat had the Indmar 330 horse ,what is the diff between the two blocks and engines.Any help would be appreciated.
sure I will hear from someone soon and thanks in advance

Engine Nut
10-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello ,in 1998-1999 the PS:D 190 had the corvette engine option,in 2000 the same boat had the Indmar 330 horse ,what is the diff between the two blocks and engines.Any help would be appreciated.
sure I will hear from someone soon and thanks in advance

The Corvette engine that was used in those boats was the LT1 engine. The LT1 was in production from 1993 model year and pretty much ended after the 1999 model year. It had a cast iron block and aluminum cylinder heads along with a distributorless ignition system. It was a great engine but went out of production at General Motors. The LT1 was replaced with the LTR which had a cast iron block and cast iron cylinder heads. It was pretty much a standard 5.7L (350 cubic inch) engine but it did have the same distributorless ignition that the LT1 had. The LTR was built through from 1999 MY through 2002 MY when it was replaced by the MCX.

Engine Nut

oldriver
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
gee thanks,sounds like either engine would be a great choice however with the LT1 overheating would be bad with the aluminum heads.Guess they both had the same horsepower also?????

ride
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
gee thanks,sounds like either engine would be a great choice however with the LT1 overheating would be bad with the aluminum heads.Guess they both had the same horsepower also?????

Enginenut, please check me on this but I beleive the aluminum head on the LT-1 gives you as much as a 100lb. weight advantage over the LTR. And not that I'm THAT particular about my ski wake, but in theory it would keep the boat from sitting as deep in the water, thus producing less of a wake at slalom speeds.
You're right about the overheat thrreat in the LT-1 tho. Always keep one eye on the temp gauge...

captain planet
10-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't believe so. If I recall correctly the LTR had 330 hp. The LT-1 in my 30th Anniversary has 350 hp.

JimN
10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
ride- I don't know if they did it, or not, but moving the motor forward a few inches would accomplish the same thing as lightening the motor.

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't believe so. If I recall correctly the LTR had 330 hp. The LT-1 in my 30th Anniversary has 350 hp.

/edit. It's 340 hp for the LT-1 in 98 according to the WSM Boat Buyer's Guide (for what that's worth).

captain planet
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
/edit. It's 340 hp for the LT-1 in 98 according to the WSM Boat Buyer's Guide (for what that's worth).
I think your right, but for the Anniversary they tinkered with the engine to get 350hp out of it. A friend of a friend had a 98 Duvall which was 340hp and we were always jawing back and forth about my boat having more horsies than his. One day he even lied about having some engine work done to get 15 more hp out of it just to say he had more power.

ride
10-04-2007, 06:27 PM
ride- I don't know if they did it, or not, but moving the motor forward a few inches would accomplish the same thing as lightening the motor.

Jim-
Por que, mi amigo? A guess would be that by moving the weight toward the bow, the boat's planing surface area would be unchanged from that of the LT-1 due to prop shaft angle? Am I anywhere close? Do explain...

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I think your right, but for the Anniversary they tinkered with the engine to get 350hp out of it. A friend of a friend had a 98 Duvall which was 340hp and we were always jawing back and forth about my boat having more horsies than his. One day he even lied about having some engine work done to get 15 more hp out of it just to say he had more power.

Well, here's another source.

Looks like the manual for 98 says 328 hp (which may explain my 318 hp guess better). Of course, it also says the TBI MX engine is only 298 hp. I'm nearly positive that it's 308 hp (which is also what the WSM review says). Either way, I'm going to go with my gut and speculate that they didn't give you 10 extra horsies on the anniversary ed pro star. But whatever puts a smile on your face. :)

Actually, in the reviews for 1993, they had separate reviews for the 190 ltd. and the S&S 190 in addition to the stock 190. Different engine/tranny combos, etc. The S&S got a more favorable wake review than the 190 Ltd. and the Stock. Must have been the stars. ;)

Engine Nut
10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, here's another source.

Looks like the manual for 98 says 328 hp (which may explain my 318 hp guess better). Of course, it also says the TBI MX engine is only 298 hp. I'm nearly positive that it's 308 hp (which is also what the WSM review says). Either way, I'm going to go with my gut and speculate that they didn't give you 10 extra horsies on the anniversary ed pro star. But whatever puts a smile on your face. :)

Actually, in the reviews for 1993, they had separate reviews for the 190 ltd. and the S&S 190 in addition to the stock 190. Different engine/tranny combos, etc. The S&S got a more favorable wake review than the 190 Ltd. and the Stock. Must have been the stars. ;)

My chart shows the standard LT1 at 340 HP and the anniversary edition at 350. The anniversary edition had a different cam and lifters which gave it a little more boost.

Engine Nut

Farmer Ted
10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
My chart shows the standard LT1 at 340 HP and the anniversary edition at 350. The anniversary edition had a different cam and lifters which gave it a little more boost.

Engine Nut

EN,

Thanks for the info, I have been led to believe only the blue engines were the 350 hp and the black engines were 340 hp

any truth to that?

thanks for your input

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Engine Nut

Well shut my mouth. How 'bout that.

Engine Nut
10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
EN,

Thanks for the info, I have been led to believe only the blue engines were the 350 hp and the black engines were 340 hp

any truth to that?

thanks for your input

You are correct. The higher output anniversary edition engines were blue.

Engine Nut

Farmer Ted
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
You are correct. The higher output anniversary edition engines were blue.

Engine Nut

Thank you sir!

Could you recommend a paint/color to touch up some areas on a blue one?

Engine Nut
10-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Thank you sir!

Could you recommend a paint/color to touch up some areas on a blue one?

Indmar P/N S995066.Metallic Blue in spray cans.

Engine Nut

JimN
10-05-2007, 12:17 AM
"Jim-
Por que, mi amigo? A guess would be that by moving the weight toward the bow, the boat's planing surface area would be unchanged from that of the LT-1 due to prop shaft angle? Am I anywhere close? Do explain."

Butter.

If the lighter motor was in the original position, the center of mass for the boat would be in one place. If you replace the heads with cast iron, the center of mass moves backward, relative to the length of the boat. If the heavier motor was installed and moved forward slightly, the center of mass would be in the same place as for the lighter motor. I was assuming the same thrust angle. I was equating it with balancing the boat with lighter heads and then changing the balance point by installing the cast iron ones.

Farmer Ted
10-05-2007, 12:25 AM
"Jim-
Por que, mi amigo? A guess would be that by moving the weight toward the bow, the boat's planing surface area would be unchanged from that of the LT-1 due to prop shaft angle? Am I anywhere close? Do explain."

Butter.

If the lighter motor was in the original position, the center of mass for the boat would be in one place. If you replace the heads with cast iron, the center of mass moves backward, relative to the length of the boat. If the heavier motor was installed and moved forward slightly, the center of mass would be in the same place as for the lighter motor. I was assuming the same thrust angle. I was equating it with balancing the boat with lighter heads and then changing the balance point by installing the cast iron ones.

weight times arm equals moment......

depending on the index of the boat, a 100 pound difference would not effect the CG of a 234 inch boat (19' 6") that much, the weight of the gas in the tank 264 pounds at the farthest aft point would have a bigger effect on the wake than the heads

JimN
10-05-2007, 12:29 AM
"weight times arm equals moment......"

Yes, it does but since I haven't studied Statics in 30+ years, that's not the phrase that leaped to my mind.

ride
10-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Butter.

If the lighter motor was in the original position, the center of mass for the boat would be in one place...

weight times arm equals moment......

Figured as much...:D

Do we know if MC actually moved the engine toward the bow as a result?

JimN
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
At speed, I doubt if 100 lbs difference near the center of the boat would make any difference at all. Going from full to empty fuel tank would make more difference and I haven't seen anyone desperately try to maintain a specific level in their tank to keep the wake from changing.

YooperScott
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I do not understand the whole theory that seems to be out there that iron heads are better? I'll take aluminum heads over iron heads 100 times out of 100. Usually equal more power (better heat transfer) and are always lighter. I think the overheating problems some had with the LT-1 might have been more with the Indmar cooling system and having one of the thermostat's stick than anything.

What actually changed on the LT-1 to warrant the horsepower changes? The only real thing I could think of is if in the later years they had LT-4 equipment (heads/cam/roller rockers on them)? Chevy did that with the Corvette in 1996 and put LT-4 on all of the 6-speed cars. Otherwise I have a hard time believing there were any horsepower changes other than just giving it a different number. Nothing changed to up the horsepower in the car motors and I was under the impression that Indmar did not change the engines internally? Perhaps they changed the cam 1 degree or 2 in duration, but nothing that was going to give any sizable horsepower change. Those engines were always thought to be underrated (not as bad as the LS-1 variety where my LS-1 that had "305 hp" actually dynoed 302 at the rear wheels or about 350 hp when it was bone stock for instance) by GM so perhaps they were just saying they had more power when in fact nothing changed .

It all makes me curious as I used to own a couple LT-1 powered cars and now have an LT-1 in my boat.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

ride
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
At speed, I doubt if 100 lbs difference near the center of the boat would make any difference at all. Going from full to empty fuel tank would make more difference and I haven't seen anyone desperately try to maintain a specific level in their tank to keep the wake from changing.
Makes sense. But I'd still think that a lower power-to-weight ratio is always an advantage. The weight has to get displaced somewhere, whether it be in the boat riding lower or it requiring more hp to off-set the weight difference in the wake (thus reducing available hp overall). However, I agree that the diffences would be pretty small.
Besides, in looking at my DD, I don't think there's 3" clearance beween my pylon and engine mounts to move the block forward and still leave room for my engine cover. I'd think they'd have to move the pylon forward to do it, which would get into my drivers seat area 3 more inches. :(

JimN
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
There's probably not enough room to move it forward in that boat but in a new model, it cold be allowed for.

100lb difference means that 1.6 ft³ more or less has been displaced. There's a little more or less inertia getting out of the hole. How much difference in hole shot do you notice if a 100 lb child (or, some hot little thing) is added? Probably not much.