PDA

View Full Version : Buying boat used in brackish water?

bzmillerboy
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I am looking into buying a boat that was used in brackish water, what are some of the things I should check into?

This boat has the MCX350 and a galvanized trailer.

JoshBuzz
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
what boat is it, how many hours, and where was it kept when it wasn't being used??

mayo93prostar
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I bought my 93 prostar that was and still is used in brackish water. It has 390 hours on it. the biggest problem I had was i had to wire brush the rust off of the tranny and paint it. the marina that serviced it before I bought it sprayed the engine with CRC protectant and it was in good shape but the tranny apparently got missed because of the motor cover not opening up all the way with the lifting arms in place. look under the floor boards at the steering components, tranny, pylon mount, etc. for rust. I cleaned mine up pretty good and keep it in the garage now. It was stored outside on a lift with cover on and I think the salt water in the bilge got hot and created a salt water fog that caused the corrosion. good luck.

ride
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
what boat is it, how many hours, and where was it kept when it wasn't being used??
yea... all that... and maybe a quick descript. of the water itself... how brackish? how concentrated? Were trout swimming around in there or was it more like tuna? Brine shrimp may prompt you to pass...

bzmillerboy
10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
'05 X2 with 130 hours. Seller says it was only used in brackish water 5 times and flushed after it was used. It was ran in the Chickahominy River (Virginia) which I believe is mostly fresh water. Quoted from wikipedia "Among the most populated are blue catfish, largemouth bass, river herring, striped bass, shad, river herring, and yellow perch." Seller says it was never stored in the water.

Archimedes
10-03-2007, 06:26 PM
If the guy's being truthful, you've got nothing to be worried about.

east tx skier
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Five times and flushed well is a good thing to hear. How long was it flushed? The trailers tend to get the worst of salt/brackish water and this one is galvanized. I wouldn't worry too much about five dunks in brackish water if it was flushed well. Just look high and low for unusual amounts of corrosion.

hokiecharlie
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
'05 X2 with 130 hours. Seller says it was only used in brackish water 5 times and flushed after it was used. It was ran in the Chickahominy River (Virginia) which I believe is mostly fresh water. Quoted from wikipedia "Among the most populated are blue catfish, largemouth bass, river herring, striped bass, shad, river herring, and yellow perch." Seller says it was never stored in the water.
I have been going to the Chickahominy all my life, and most everyone I know considers it fresh water. Although saltier than a lake, I think it is still mostly fresh. I don't know of anyone who would think flusing was really necessary after using it in that water. Storing it in the water would be a different story.

Are you in Virginia? I'm in Richmond and always looking for skiers.

Bruce
10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
First of all is it open or closed cooling system? Most important first question!

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I have been going to the Chickahominy all my life, and most everyone I know considers it fresh water. Although saltier than a lake, I think it is still mostly fresh. I don't know of anyone who would think flusing was really necessary after using it in that water. Storing it in the water would be a different story.

Are you in Virginia? I'm in Richmond and always looking for skiers.

There's a pretty popular ski spot in Texas that's supposedly brackish. But as you mention, I think there are varying degrees of mineral content depending on the body of water. Taste test is the best way to be sure. :)

ride
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
There's a pretty popular ski spot in Texas that's supposedly brackish. But as you mention, I think there are varying degrees of mineral content depending on the body of water. Taste test is the best way to be sure. :)

C'mon EastTX, you gotta give them instructions. "While out on your test-drive, nonchalantly approach the stern while engaged in pleastant conversation with your seller. Then without interuption, bend over and lick the rear seat cushion with your tongue.":guitar:

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Hahaha! But in all seriousness, that's exactly what you should do.

ride
10-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Hahaha! But in all seriousness, that's exactly what you should do.
Hahaha... I'm TOTALLY in agreement, both to satistfy the issue but also just to see the sellers reaction! At very least, call it an experiment in social behavior, but that's got AFHV written all over it IMO.

NatesGr8
10-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I use my boat in fresh water, unfortunately i unload/load in brackish water. so the last thing it sees is the brackish. So far i can't see any signs of corrosion or rust...but i make sure to flush for at least 15 minutes immediately after its taken out of the water. I'm also sure to wash the boat and spray down the entire trailer immediately after use. As long as this has been done everything will be fine. One good place to check would be under the thermostat cover. If it wasn't properly flushed you would probably see some corrosion or salt build up in there.