PDA

View Full Version : Would you even consider.. If it were you??

Monte
10-03-2007, 02:36 PM
My brother-n-law has decided to take up boating.. He wants an entry level boat $$, I of course told him to look for some older S&S's in good shape. To make sure he uses it. If he does he has a classic if he doesn't he has a boat that will hold resale value. Anyway I found this on Craigslist.. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/436795488.html

Then I emailed him
Notced the boat you have for sale on craigslist. I am possibly interested in the boat. I have a few questions I would like to ask.

What year is it?
How many hours?
Are the stringers in good repair?
Is the floor solid?
Are there any vibrations while under load?
Is a trailer included?
Do all the guages work?
Does the boat still have the back seat?
Is the pylon solidly in place (does it move)?
Do you still have the platform?
Does it have any leaks?
Is the steering solid?

He responded

hey its a 1974 the first year they made the stars and stripes.It has a trailer I'm not sure of the hours ,ti runs great its a straight inboard so you probably have more vibration than a inboard outboard or just an outboard.the pylon is fine. I use it to pull my boys kneeboarding around the lake.I think some body has redone the floor it is very solid. there is no back seat or platform on this boat. there are only a passenger seat and drivers seat. thanks Bill

Anyway I need some input.. Steer the BNL toward it? Or not??

ski_king
10-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Unless it is in great condition with good floor and stringers, the price is high.

Would be worth checking out in person to me.

3event
10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
If close, maybe worth a close look. The seller's lack of info in his response is a bit worrying. Think carefully about steering a newbie boater to an older boat that he might have to spend a bunch of time on.

Maybe try to help set him up with opportunities to test drive both inboards and i/o's or o/b's so he can appreciate the difference and adjust his own expectations.

But I agree there's no easy answer when you're on a down and dirty budget....good luck!

BrianM
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I'll make you a screaming deal on an '85 S&S. No wood! PM me and we can talk.

KnoxX2
10-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Monte whats his price range?

Muttley
10-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Not being sure of the hours is pretty scary. You'd need a compression test. You'd have to get right into it and check the stringers.

It might be worth a look, but damn, that's an old boat! Unless it's darn near perfect, he might be better to spend a little more and pick up an 86 for around $6500. 10-12 years newer is a big difference.

defender1009
10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I know I browse the Charlotte craiglist for boats regularly, and he's been trying to sell that thing for a loooooong time. At that price, there's gotta be a reason it hasn't sold yet.

east tx skier
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Not being sure of the hours is pretty scary.

I'd expect at best, an answer to the effect that "the hour meter says _." With Fords, unless you're the original owner, it's hard to be 100% sure of boat engine hours.

Monte
10-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Monte whats his price range?

He hasn't really told me.. He was telling me about a few of his co-workers who own fairly new... (I hate to say it).... Bayliners that they want out of.. $3k-6k range.. ( I asked him why he thought they wanted out;) )
He does fairly well monetarily so maybe I'm under shooting him... But I just don't want to see him make a horrible mistake. So I'm keeping what I find for him in the same price range.. I just don't want to show him a POS right off the bat... Or kill him on price right out of the gate..

BTW that boat is most likely at least two hours from us...

Monte
10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Not being sure of the hours is pretty scary. You'd need a compression test. You'd have to get right into it and check the stringers.

It might be worth a look, but damn, that's an old boat! Unless it's darn near perfect, he might be better to spend a little more and pick up an 86 for around $6500. 10-12 years newer is a big difference.

I agree, not knowing the hours is a scary thought..

Does anybody know if a 74 actually had an hour meter??

Monte
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I know I browse the Charlotte craiglist for boats regularly, and he's been trying to sell that thing for a loooooong time. At that price, there's gotta be a reason it hasn't sold yet.

Now THAT is good info.. THAT makes me wonder what other prospective buyers have found wrong with it:cool:

east tx skier
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Even if it did, was it connected the whole time?

Monte
10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Even if it did, was it connected the whole time?

Good point..

I'm leaning toward not even showing him the ad.. At two hours away, wooden stringers, and "Maybe the guy that owned it before me changed the floorboards" it worrys me. The last thing I want to do is get my BNL a deal on a sinking boat or one that is too much work to be feasible..

KnoxX2
10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Monte you need to find out what he wants to do with it and how much he wants to spend. He might be better off in a IO to start with and then move into a MC. Just a thought. Most importantly just get him on the water.

Monte
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Monte you need to find out what he wants to do with it and how much he wants to spend. He might be better off in a IO to start with and then move into a MC. Just a thought. Most importantly just get him on the water.

I asked him what he wants to do with his proposed boat. He said just get out on the water and enjoy time with his wife (my sister) and his daughters.. I know him pretty well though. He dated sis 11 years before they married 8 years ago.. He is a very active individual. (avid mtn biker/ runner) He doesn't fish.. So I figure it is only a matter of time before a ski or a board is attached to the bottom of his feet.. May be an I/O would work out better to begin with.. I just don't want him to buy a POS that never gets used B/C it is a POS:) ;)

KnoxX2
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Monte have him check out MYMC he has a 1989 190 that looks like it is in great shape. It says $10,000.00 At least you would know that he is getting a good boat from a dealer that we all trust.

Monte
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Monte have him check out MYMC he has a 1989 190 that looks like it is in great shape. It says $10,000.00 At least you would know that he is getting a good boat from a dealer that we all trust.

I'll send him that way too. He lives five minutes from Wylie, so it shouldn't be a problem. He has also shown some interest in another boat on the forum...:cool:

76S&S
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM

My 76 does not have a hour meter so I doubt the 74 did.

captain planet
10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
My buddy is selling his 2001 X-5. It is in good shape, runs very well. The price is right. I have been behind this boat many times myself. May be a little far for you though. I've told him to put in the marketplace, but it isn't there yet. He needs to get some more pictures of the interior.

Datdude
10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I have a friend that is selling a early 80's (82-84?) Stars and Stripes that he could probably score for around $5K. It seems to be in good condition. PM me if you (or anyone else) is interested. It is red/gray.

JohnE
10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll send him that way too. He lives five minutes from Wylie, so it shouldn't be a problem. He has also shown some interest in another boat on the forum...:cool:

And he wasn't at CSM '07!!? You guys aren't all that close.:mad: :D

In all seriousness I wouldn't steer him toward a 74 MC. Not the best first boat IMO. Let him get a newer I/O if that's the alternative to begin his boating. Unless you can find him an older Tristar 220 walk-thru which would be PERFECT for him to learn on!:cool:

If you were going to talk him into a MC, I'd say steer him toward one from '83 on where at least the stringers are not wood. Lots of Tristars for $7500 or so. Any less budget, go with the best you can find whether IO, outboard, whatever.

rholmes
10-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Monte, I live in Raleigh and could go take a look at the boat for you. It is true that it has been on craigslist now for about 2-3 months. Thing is, nobody in my market is really into inboards. Bunch of fishing boats really. I was in the market for an inboard and it took me a long time to find one that was what I wanted. We don't have great lakes for inboards. I found out the hard way. But if you want me to go take a look, let me know. This guy was also selling an older (60's)Chris Craft Cavalier inboard too for around 7500.

swatguy
10-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Monte

Not to hijack, but did you get my pm?

Monte
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
And he wasn't at CSM '07!!? You guys aren't all that close.:mad: :D

Ha ha! they moved there about three weekas ago... Also... their baby sitter is our baby sitter;) Before that they lived an hour away...

Monte
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Monte

Not to hijack, but did you get my pm?

Got it PM back...