PDA

View Full Version : Newbie--Trying to join the "club"---Need Help!

defender1009
10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi guys, been enjoying lurking for a while now, and I promise I've done as much searching as I can before posting this. I've been a Malibu guy for many years (sorry---I know, I know), but I think I'm about to join the darkside. Found a deal on a 1987 Prostar 190 that seems too good to pass up. Just took a test drive, and I have a few questions.

1) I noticed that the blower, tachometer, oil pressure, gas gauge (bounces like crazy) and one speedometer gauge don't work (both pick-ups seem intact for the speedo), and out of all the switches, only the manual bilge and nav light switches DO work. Is this going to involve just some basic electrical gremlin chasing on my part (which I can do), or does this point to a larger problem which could equal serious $$$?

2) Seems to be a lot more squeaks and rattles coming from the entire dash area than I remember on other older high-end direct-drives.....is this typical or not? If typical, is it something else I could chase down?

3) Lastly (and with the most potential for being a dumb question), I've owned primarily v-drives, but I've driven a lot of direct-drives as well. They all seem to come out of the hole, and ride at speed, fairly flat. This boat seems to take a bit of a nose-high attitude both out of the hole, and while riding. Again, is this normal, or could this indicate a heavy transom (water-logged?). All the wood I can see (floor, seat bottoms, etc) appear to be dry and sound, and the bilge was clean and dry, so I'm guessing this is normal?

If you're still reading, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm on Lake Wylie, so if this goes through I suppose I'll be meeting some of you at the big shindig on my home lake next year.:D

east tx skier
10-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Welcome. I know a bit more about the later years, but there are a lot of folks here with late 80s Pro Stars that will be able to walk you through it.

With the gauges, I think some bounce is normal. Especially with the fuel gauge as the gas moves around in the tank. My 93 moved a bit with a brand new sending unit. Oil pressure moved a bit with varying rpms. The speedo pitot pickups are probably just clogged if I had to guess. A safety pin may fix this or a $26 investment for the newer style pickups will practically eliminate it unless you're in some nasty water a lot.

As for the rattles, I'd check the tightness of the nuts on the bolts securing the windshield. Double nutting them can help, but they tighten up with just a little work (kind of a two person job.

No idea as to why it's slow to plane. Also not sure if the floors were still wood at that point. By the early 90s, the only wood left was in the combing bad backing. The stringers are definitely composite in 87, which is, of course, good.

Again, welcome. There will be people to fill in the gaps or tell me I'm completely wrong in just a minute. Good luck.

G-man
10-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I thought in 84 floors went to fiberglass

TMCNo1
10-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Welcome to Team talk and keep me informed of your intentions about coming to CSM '08, I'll go ahead and list you on Post #1 if that's OK! Let me know the # of people in your party besides yourself.

east tx skier
10-02-2007, 05:37 PM
George, mid 83 was stringers for sure. But way back when, I could've sworn I saw somebody with a newer boat than that who posted pictures of his floor, which appeared to have some wood in it. I'd be surprised if there was any wood in the floor by 87, but I don't know for sure.

BriEOD? You here?

TMCNo1
10-02-2007, 05:43 PM
George, mid 83 was stringers for sure. But way back when, I could've sworn I saw somebody with a newer boat than that who posted pictures of his floor, which appeared to have some wood in it. I'd be surprised if there was any wood in the floor by 87, but I don't know for sure.

BriEOD? You here?

'87 should me modern construction with no wood as we know them today. That was the introductory year for the new style of bonded in fiberglass stringer/floorboard as is in our '89.

defender1009
10-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.....I thought I had read on here that the stringers were fiberglass, but the floors, transom, and seat bases were wood---if the floor is glass, all the better.

East Tx---I hear you about normal bouncing---in the boats I've owned I've never had what I'd call a "world class" gas gauge. This one is insane though---whether sitting perfectly still in a glassy cove, or riding in chop, it was consistently bouncing frantically between empty and half full. Reminded me of the good old British gauges on my old Land Rovers. Sound like a sending unit maybe?

My main concern was that there is just so much going on with the entire gauge panel and switches, that it might point to a larger issue. In my experience, tachs are some of the most reliable gauges, whether car or boat, and I was surprised that this one was dead. Does the tach get it's signal from the alternator on this boat, or from a mechanical source?

TMCNo1 - Thanks---sure, put me, a guest, and two kids on there for now. Hey, worst case scenario this deal falls through and I'll bring the 26' Formula as a party barge!

Thanks again guys, and please keep any suggestions or tips coming. I'll look forward to contributing to the site soon.

Leroy
10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Hopefully you are able to look at several 190's as there are many out there for sale. You'll also see for yourself as you test a couple others what is normal and what isn't.

TMCNo1
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.....I thought I had read on here that the stringers were fiberglass, but the floors, transom, and seat bases were wood---if the floor is glass, all the better.

East Tx---I hear you about normal bouncing---in the boats I've owned I've never had what I'd call a "world class" gas gauge. This one is insane though---whether sitting perfectly still in a glassy cove, or riding in chop, it was consistently bouncing frantically between empty and half full. Reminded me of the good old British gauges on my old Land Rovers. Sound like a sending unit maybe?

My main concern was that there is just so much going on with the entire gauge panel and switches, that it might point to a larger issue. In my experience, tachs are some of the most reliable gauges, whether car or boat, and I was surprised that this one was dead. Does the tach get it's signal from the alternator on this boat, or from a mechanical source?

TMCNo1 - Thanks---sure, put me, a guest, and two kids on there for now. Hey, worst case scenario this deal falls through and I'll bring the 26' Formula as a party barge!

Thanks again guys, and please keep any suggestions or tips coming. I'll look forward to contributing to the site soon.

Tach signal comes from the distributor (purple wire IIRC).

Go to Discount Inboard Marine (Skidim) and get yourself a new fuel tank sending unit, here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1088, PN 0512, but call them to verify. It cured my same problem.

I'll add 3 to your attendees now!

Leroy
10-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Defender; The issues you have mentioned are not associated with anything major normally. Hopefully you have checked the engine (compression test, oil color, etc) and transmission fluid. East Texas Skier put this buying a used boat guide together and it is great to go by.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

pkskier
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
The only wood in my '87 TriStar is in the seats and combing pads.

Hoosier Bob
10-02-2007, 11:16 PM
My guess with the gauge is it has had the sender replaced and it needs adjustment. Easy fix. Bow high makes no sense. Sure she will leap but hits plane fast. The rattles, I agree. I rode in an 89 new that rattled more than my 74! Good news is you can shore up what MC did not. More good news is the vital parts are built to last forever. The 87is an awesome looking boat and with some time can be made right! Take your time and go through every inch! Speedometers can have problems in the lines, those funky tubes, the pickups and the speedo itself. You blow another watches and you can fix!:D

Be sure to get a good deal! My pick? 91-94! But I will admit the series from 87-90 has that sexy stealthy look that rocks!Hi guys, been enjoying lurking for a while now, and I promise I've done as much searching as I can before posting this. I've been a Malibu guy for many years (sorry---I know, I know), but I think I'm about to join the darkside. Found a deal on a 1987 Prostar 190 that seems too good to pass up. Just took a test drive, and I have a few questions.

1) I noticed that the blower, tachometer, oil pressure, gas gauge (bounces like crazy) and one speedometer gauge don't work (both pick-ups seem intact for the speedo), and out of all the switches, only the manual bilge and nav light switches DO work. Is this going to involve just some basic electrical gremlin chasing on my part (which I can do), or does this point to a larger problem which could equal serious $$$?

2) Seems to be a lot more squeaks and rattles coming from the entire dash area than I remember on other older high-end direct-drives.....is this typical or not? If typical, is it something else I could chase down?

3) Lastly (and with the most potential for being a dumb question), I've owned primarily v-drives, but I've driven a lot of direct-drives as well. They all seem to come out of the hole, and ride at speed, fairly flat. This boat seems to take a bit of a nose-high attitude both out of the hole, and while riding. Again, is this normal, or could this indicate a heavy transom (water-logged?). All the wood I can see (floor, seat bottoms, etc) appear to be dry and sound, and the bilge was clean and dry, so I'm guessing this is normal?

If you're still reading, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm on Lake Wylie, so if this goes through I suppose I'll be meeting some of you at the big shindig on my home lake next year.:D

TMCNo1
10-03-2007, 06:24 AM
But I will admit the series from 87-90 has that sexy stealthy look that rocks!

HB, you really have a way with words. I never looked at our boat as sexy stealthy, but ya know, she does have a cute rear when she goes into battle!

defender1009
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Well, in all honesty, I haven't even really been looking for a "new" boat, so this is soft of out of the blue---there's one or two others for sale in our area---one is a dog, and the other is a trailer queen that's priced too high (plus my wife refuses to buy the teal color---no offense). While there is no shortage of V-drives, pure inboard ski boats are fairly uncommon in my area.

I can probably get this one for $6500---cosmetically it's in great condition, both hull and interior, and I'm having a compression/leakdown test done today to make sure the motor is up to snuff. If that checks out, it seems too good to walk away from to me. I'm also a sucker for the classic lines, and I love taking on a good restoration project. With the items this boat needs, I should be able to knock everything out over the winter---(which I would of course document and post on here.):)

beatle78
10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm concerned with the boat not planning quickly.

Those little closed bow DD boats should plane really quickly.

tex
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Dark side? We are the guys wearing the white hats!

Jim@BAWS
10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi guys, been enjoying lurking for a while now, and I promise I've done as much searching as I can before posting this. I've been a Malibu guy for many years (sorry---I know, I know), but I think I'm about to join the darkside. Found a deal on a 1987 Prostar 190 that seems too good to pass up. Just took a test drive, and I have a few questions.

Your 87 MAY HAVE wood in front of and behind the motor box. Not factory !!! Many folks replaced those floor board pieces infront of and behind because it was easier to do. There would be NO WATER LOGGING in your boat except those 2 pieces. That hull is a FLAT BOTTOM boat It will beat you in less that perfect water conditions. It was designed for skiing.

Speedos...take the P/U tube off the speedo p/u's in the back. Blow the p/u's out with air DO NOT PUT AIR PRESSURE in the lines. You do not want to repture the diaphram in the speedo head.

The guarges bouncing...Normal do not worry. Check you fuel level when the boat is standing still

Enjoy your boat...By the way You came from the DARKSIDE. You are not going to it !!!

Jim@BAWS WELCOME

tph
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm restoring an '89. It has a slight guage issue as well. The readings on some of the guages change with different electrical loads. As an example the temperature guage reads 165 degrees until you switch the blower on..then it reads 185 degrees. Do I have a faulty ground or ?