PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

ALBERTASKIER
10-02-2007, 05:36 PM
My brother and I have a 1990 prostar 190. Both our families are growing and we are quickly running out of room. I have been looking at some 2000 prostar 205Vís. I like the space in the boat and the fact that it is an ok crossover boat. I am the only one that skiís and everyone else wakeboards. I only free ski, so from what I have herd this boat should be a perfect fit. I would like to know if there is anything particular to look for when I am looking at this model of used boat. Anything to stay away from? Any must haves? I am looking at boats in the western states, if anyone knows of a good one for sale. I am always looking forward to the road trip.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

yippikaiyay
10-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Don't be afraid to look at a PS 205 with DD either.

ProTour X9
10-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Or a 209 if the slalom wake doesn't really matter.

ALBERTASKIER
10-02-2007, 06:15 PM
I have also been looking at both those boats too. The 2001 209/x9 are really nice but most of the time out of our price range. We did miss a smoking deal on one in ca. but of course it sold quickly. I also like the 205 direct drive but think the extra room of the V drive will be good for the family. But for a good deal i would be interested.

76S&S
10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
We just upgraded to a 02 x star - same hull as the 205v. You and your family will absolutely love the room in this boat. It is night and day different. I would recommend that you shop for one with a tower or plan on adding one. Getting all of the boards out of the floor is a huge hit with the wifey.

jss101
10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I traded in a sterndrive boat (20' Sea Ray) for a 2000 MC 205V a few years ago. My wife, son, and I all ski, and my son wakeboards. We absolutely love the boat. It's roomy and comfortable, and has plenty of power for picking up skiers.

If you're into huge wake you'll probably need some kind of a ballast system, since it's wake is fairly tame. At ski speeds (~34mph for us) it's pretty flat. It's of course bigger at wakeboard speeds, but doesn't have that lip that some like for jumping.

The only problem I've had with the boat is I get some oil in the bilge. I haven't figured out where it's coming from. It's not much but when you run the bilge pump you can tell - since it doesn't take much to see it on the water. When I bring it in for winterizing this year I'm going to see if the dealer can fix that.

We've skied hundreds of hours and taken lots of folks, with kids. It's been great and I highly recommend it.

trickskier
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I have an X-1 (205-V) and absolutely love it........Great all around boat!!! The wake flatens out pretty good around 34 MPH. However, it is not as flat as the ProStar's wake..............Good Luck with your decision!!!

swatguy
10-02-2007, 11:36 PM
One of the things most prone to failing in this boat was the stitching in the front cushions so take a good look at them.

Not sure if you are considering just a 205V or An X-star (same boat as 205V just with the wakeboard options and graphics) Also not sure what your price range is, but there were alot of nice changes that happen to the 2001 model. It received a better tower, 3 piece hatch, as well as the standard ballast was upgraded from one center bag in 2000 to 1 center bag and 2 hard tanks in the rear. Most of these boats tho(205v/X-stars) people have plumbed in ballast. Of course you are gonna pay around 2500-4k difference for that stuff on a 2001 compared to a 2000, but I can tell you that owning a 1 piece hatch is a pain. Very cumbersom.........However that wouldn't get me to overlook a 2000 that was clean. I would def stay away from a 99 X-Star/205V. Just alot of minor things that weren't quite worked out IMO, but hey an X-Star/205V is an X-Star/205V but the vinyl in 99 was horribly stitched.

Alot of people complain about the tower from 99-2000, but from my experiences its solid. Though I do know a few people that have experienced failure at a joint. Not a big deal can be re welded, but like said I know of plenty more that didn't fail. The tower design on the 99-2000's makes it a little tough to get to boards with the angle it has especially compared to the 2001. The biggest thing is that if you are wanting a Bimini it is gonna cost you. Towerbiminis.com is really the only place to find one for that tower, but their product is first class.

Other than that the wake and boat is awesome as you know. Being that everyone else boards I would have to disagree with going d-drive with like a 209. Just my opinion Especially with family being involved. Much more sociable with the V-drive configuration. Again all personal preference.

mccobmd
10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I would have to agree on the direct drive. I also have the X1 which is the same hull as the older x-star's. Would also agree with the comments on the 2001. I ended up with a great deal on a 2006 X1 but was looking at a 2001 X-star. The ski wake is good enough for free skiing with this hull and the boarding wake is good without ballast and great with it. I think the upgrades in 2001 make it worth the extra if the budget can abosrb it. There are a lot of quality X-star's available in that year range. Other's on here will comment but my research showed the most reliable engine to the the 330 horse.