PDA

View Full Version : Lose the weight!

6ballsisall
10-01-2007, 11:21 PM
So I sit here looking at what looks to be the starting of a beer/too much food gut (aka "the buddha) and I think to myself, "DAMN! I am not even 30 yet!" I can't let this happen to myself!

So I sincerely ask the group what can help me lose the weight (for good) Here's my diet:

1. I RARELY eat fast food (maybe twice per month at most)
2. I don't get much excerise (especially this year=lack of skiing :( )
3. I dont drink that much (contrary to what you saw of me at MM3 :D )
4. I would probably say I eat to large of portions. I travel almost every week (always eating out at good restaruants) and I probably tend to pick up to much grub there too.

So I ask SINCERELY, what can I do to lose the gut before it gets out of hand? I weigh about 187-192 lbs. and am just under 6' tall.

Advice needed peeps, it's getting down to the winter and holiday months! If I don't get a handle on this I'll be SOL by next spring!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Under 6' at 190. What is the problem, sounds right on to me.

6ballsisall
10-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Under 6' at 190. What is the problem, sounds right on to me.

Maybe, but the "gut" if forming and I don't like it (nor does my belt...) If the weight was in my arms/shoulders/chest well than that would be different. ;)

milkmania
10-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Maybe, but the "gut" if forming and I don't like it (nor does my belt...) If the weight was in my arms/shoulders/chest well than that would be different. ;)

I see you left out MMII:rolleyes:

8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-01-2007, 11:31 PM
If we could figure out how to get that weight up on your shoulders and chest, I sure as heck wouldnt be here! I would be rich sitting on some tropical beach with scantily clad native women sipping a pina colada!!!!:D

6ballsisall
10-01-2007, 11:32 PM
I see you left out MMII:rolleyes:

8p

Thanks for the reminder Brian.......... :(

Shine can't be to full of calories can it??

TheOneandOnly
10-01-2007, 11:32 PM
keep it simple eat smaller portions and Exxxersice

6ballsisall
10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
If we could figure out how to get that weight up on your shoulders and chest, I sure as heck wouldnt be here! I would be rich sitting on some tropical beach with scantily clad native women sipping a pina colada!!!!:D

and thats why I'd settle for losing the gut. ;)

Leroy
10-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm over 17 years longer down the road JR, business travel makes it tough. At least the airlines have really done their part!

Skip meals, go walking/hiking instead, salads are much better now, have regular scheduled exercise,

BUY A BOAT

milkmania
10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder Brian.......... :(

Shine can't be to full of calories can it??

hey, here's an idea........

find out where UMP get's those Granny's Crunchy Lip Smackers... I hear they're fat free:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm over 17 years longer down the road JR, business travel makes it tough. At least the airlines have really done their part!

Skip meals, go walking/hiking instead, salads are much better now, have regular scheduled exercise,

BUY A BOAT

That last part is enevitable Leroy. ;)

I've been bad on the exercise piece, I can't seem to stick to a regimented workout schedule. Need to work on that.

TheOneandOnly
10-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Make a plan for your eating schedule a week at a time, do this before you go to the grocery store. Stick to your meals, keep track of calories, carbs & fats. Only give your self one day on the weekend that you can cheat and eat what ever you like (only one day though) When possible bring lunches with you to keep the FAST FOOD 1000+ calorie meals at bay.

rektek
10-01-2007, 11:43 PM
So I sit here looking at what looks to be the starting of a beer/too much food gut (aka "the buddha) and I think to myself, "DAMN! I am not even 30 yet!" I can't let this happen to myself!

So I sincerely ask the group what can help me lose the weight (for good) Here's my diet:

1. I RARELY eat fast food (maybe twice per month at most)
2. I don't get much excerise (especially this year=lack of skiing :( )
3. I dont drink that much (contrary to what you saw of me at MM3 :D )
4. I would probably say I eat to large of portions. I travel almost every week (always eating out at good restaruants) and I probably tend to pick up to much grub there too.

So I ask SINCERELY, what can I do to lose the gut before it gets out of hand? I weigh about 187-192 lbs. and am just under 6' tall.

Advice needed peeps, it's getting down to the winter and holiday months! If I don't get a handle on this I'll be SOL by next spring!!!

more important is your LIPID panel results ?
what worked for me:
cut out all the simple sugars, no sodas, candy, donuts etc.
even juices, cut 'em out. lay off the beer.
eat healthy, fruits, veggies, fish, nuts, lean beef. eat whole grain breads. don't eat late at night and no fast food ever !

break a sweat 3 times a week, whatever it is, cycling, treadmill etc, you don't have to go crazy just 30 mins and get your heart rate up.

you'll be starving for a few weeks, you will lose 10lbs first month.

curious what others might add.

cbryan70
10-01-2007, 11:51 PM
the worst thing to do is SKIP meal. The best possible thing to do is eat as many small meals as you can 5 or even 6 small portion meals a day. By doing this you will keep your metabolism going all day long. Doing this and working out will speed up your metabolism which basically means you will eventually burn more fat while sitting on teamtalk talking about what to do to lose weight. All this seems easy...but it isnt i say this as i am trying to lost about 20 pounds and im only eating 2 meals a day. work makes it tough but disipline is definalty the most important. Once you start getting into working out DONT stop once you stop it sucks starting again. Thats my two cents. Its better losing a little weight at a time then 20 pounds in a month on a fad diet you will just gain that back. Try to cut back on your carbs, eat lots of chicken and fish try to cut down on beef, vegis are better then fruits because of sugar but fruit sugar is the first to get burned so its better then a snickers bar

6ballsisall
10-01-2007, 11:52 PM
more important is your LIPID panel results ?
what worked for me:
cut out all the simple sugars, no sodas, candy, donuts etc.
even juices, cut 'em out. lay off the beer.
eat healthy, fruits, veggies, fish, nuts, lean beef. eat whole grain breads. don't eat late at night and no fast food ever !

break a sweat 3 times a week, whatever it is, cycling, treadmill etc, you don't have to go crazy just 30 mins and get your heart rate up.

you'll be starving for a few weeks, you will lose 10lbs first month.

curious what others might add.

Would you make fun of me if I told you I have no idea what a LIPID panel results are?

Not much of a soda guy myself. If I drink one it's a diet coke, nothing else, even that is rare.

LakePirate
10-01-2007, 11:57 PM
It's simple.

Eat less...Move more.

bcampbe7
10-02-2007, 12:06 AM
It's simple.

Eat less...Move more.

No truer words have been spoken.

Don't skip a meal JR.

I hate to work out. I only run if I am chased! I have found that I have a rekindled love of mountain biking though. It gets me moving and can be done year round. I am sure you have some awesome trails in your neck of the woods.

6ballsisall
10-02-2007, 12:10 AM
No truer words have been spoken.

Don't skip a meal JR.

I hate to work out. I only run if I am chased! I have found that I have a rekindled love of mountain biking though. It gets me moving and can be done year round. I am sure you have some awesome trails in your neck of the woods.

Ironically I have been thinking about buying the wife and I bikes (along with those kids carriers) If nothing more, we could ride the neighborhoods.

Guess I found a good "reason" to get those bikes eh?8p

Leroy
10-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I agree and found a place where I can play indoor soccer again this year on Wed (open play) and THur (league) nights! I think it does take activities you love in order to stay with it. I have not played in a year until this started 4 weeks ago.

bcampbe7
10-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Ironically I have been thinking about buying the wife and I bikes (along with those kids carriers) If nothing more, we could ride the neighborhoods.

No doubt...

Wendy's bike has been hanging in our garage for the past 5 years or so. I got it out a couple weeks ago, aired-up the tires and it was good as new.

I got myself a Trek 6000 and we bought a kid hauler/bike trailer thing. Being a year old our little guy doesn't quite grasp the concept of riding around in the trailer, but he seemed to enjoy it. :D

bcampbe7
10-02-2007, 12:15 AM
I agree and found a place where I can play indoor soccer again this year on Wed (open play) and THur (league) nights! I think it does take activities you love in order to stay with it. I have not played in a year until this started 4 weeks ago.

You said it Leroy! It's kinda like work. You find something you love to do and you will never work (work out) a day in your life.

milkmania
10-02-2007, 12:17 AM
big problem with me is I am a habitual meal skipper:(

Saturday, I had a grilled cheese sandwich
Sunday, I had a bowl of chicken noodle soup
Monday, I had a couple strips of brisket

no pop whatsoever though:o

bcampbe7
10-02-2007, 12:20 AM
No pop is great Milk!

I am the last person to give dieting advice, but my doc told me to eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to the traditional 3 meals per day. If anything I don't get to the point of being starved at dinner. Before I would be so hungry at dinner that I would eat a ton of food. It is easier to limit my food intake when I am not starving when it's time to eat.

Leroy
10-02-2007, 12:29 AM
On the meal skipping I'm guess JR is somewhat like me travel often but not all the time so routine is missing, when travelling business breakfast, buffet with made to order omelet...snacks mid morning brought in, "healthy" lunch, afternoon snacks/sodas and then business dinner usually at a great restaurant. I found when travelling I have to skip one meal and have an apple for lunch or piece of toast for breakfast or lunch.

Agree skipping meals in general is not good to do.

Hoosier Bob
10-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I run 2-3 times a week, eat one big meal a day, no soda, ice tea, coffe and do not sit down until I absolutley have to! I was 195 and am now 165! Oh and if this is not enough add intense job stress, half pack of cigarettes a day and 10 to 12 brewskies! Now your rockin' on the Hoosier diet! I am one of those guys that can say; I am 42 years old and in the best shape of my life! Do I owe this to Bowflex? Hell no it is a mixture of cigarettes, Beer and Excercise! Although my lungs and liver may have an entirely different opinion.:o

Farmer Ted
10-02-2007, 01:12 AM

Hoosier Bob
10-02-2007, 01:15 AM
YOU ARE R*******! SLOW, or otherwise obtuse!:D .....................................

PendO
10-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Well JR, I've dropped 32# so far (started at 239# / 6' 3.5"), with at least 10 to go so I can get down below 200 and be at my sr. in high school weight, for me, I had to set month end targets with rewards if I met the target ... kinda lame that a target is being able to spend your own money (and there were other sidebets), but it worked for me ... I used the eliptical a bunch in the spring, and reduced my calorie intake (especially calories from liquids) and started drinking alot of flavored water and diet snapple and sobee lean ... also, I got a scale that gives you your %water and %body fat if you weight yourself with bare feet ... I am not sure how accurate it is, but it it accurate relatively speaking ... so every day I would weigh myself once in the AM and once in the PM, and I kept a log/spreadsheet, so that I was accountable ... I have found that the more hydrated I stay it usually led to eating healthier ... I do still drink diet pop, but it actually seems to dehydrate me ... it has not been fast, and the first 10# seemed like the hardest, but you have to find a way to keep your metabolism up... I don't have time to exercise daily so on days that I don't exercise I eat a lite lunch or no lunch at all.

Jonathan94
10-02-2007, 02:27 AM
I will throw my two cents in...

This is one big thing that I will agree with [QUOTE=PendO] ... I have found that the more hydrated I stay it usually led to eating healthier ... IQUOTE]

I find having a water bottle with me most places I go during the day (and drinking / refilling often) will prevent me from getting the "high calorie / high fat" snack urges, and help me regulate my eating to proper smaller meals throughout the day.

I also second an earlier comment about not eating at nighttime. I run alot and in the winter do alot of cross-country skiing (now that is a conditioning sport!), but have found not eating anything after 9pm has made a big difference. There really is no need to eat then unless you are planning to have an active night I guess to burn off the calories. ;) The biggest culprit? Making your kids lunches the night before! I used to always snack when I did that, now I just get up earlier in the morning to do it.

So.. drink lots of water and don't snack late at night.

hester
10-02-2007, 06:03 AM
(always eating out at good restaruants)

Not sure where you are eating but check out the calorie counts on those restaurants’s websites and you will be amazed. Some meals that sound healthy are worse than some fast food combos.

My favorite example is chicken and broccoli pasta at Ruby Tues = 1700 calories compared to 1310 for the Wendy’s bacanoator and large fry!

WTRSK1R
10-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Not sure where you are eating but check out the calorie counts on those restaurants’s websites and you will be amazed. Some meals that sound healthy are worse than some fast food combos.

My favorite example is chicken and broccoli pasta at Ruby Tues = 1700 calories compared to 1310 for the Wendy’s bacanoator and large fry!

I have to second this comment. Last year at the end of the year, I was traveling for work non stop. It is very difficult to predict the calories of food when you are eating out unless you actually check the nutrition information. I gained about 15 lbs before I started paying closer attention. I managed to lose it again this spring, but it was not easy, especially when on the road.

BrianM
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
BUY A BOAT

Yeah! Buy a boat!

Seriously though it is the resturaunt meals (and portions) that are killing you. I would start by disciplining yourself to leave some of the food on your plate at every meal out and try to choose the healthier choices. Besides that just try to move a bit more. Take the stairs , walk around the area around the hotel you are staying at in the evenings etc. Lastly buy a boat and ski!

T Scott
10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I have lost 18 lbs. since September 1st. (22lbs to go) I too, am a business traveler and spend a lot of time entertaining clients. What is working for me is planning and accountability.
For the palnning, if I know I am taking a customer to a nice steak house for dinner, I will eat a very light breakfast and lunch. I also take time to research the nutritional information of the menu items at the restaurant where I will be eating.
As far as accountability, I am as guilty of handing my kids a cookie after school and popping a few in my mouth as well. When I do that, I just negated my jog I took this morning. :(
A tool that I have used to help me manage both my planning and accountability is a free website called:

thedailyplate.com

The site allows you to set up a free profile to track your weight loss and goals, has a search engine that will obtain nutritional info on just about anything you can imagine. It also has a daily food chart where you enter what you ate that day and it calculates a total caloric/fat/sodium etc. values for the day. Once I did that it was easy to see where I could make better decisions in my food choices.
I wish you the best of luck losing those few extra lbs. The first pound is the hardest!!

209er
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
My Nutrition Professor at OSU had this to say about weight and weight gain, less intake, more out-take. Simple as that.

Watch the carbs and the bad fats going in. Get your heart rate up for at least 30 mins a day. I travel too on business and understand your plight (I'm 40, 190# just under 6'). It gets tougher as you get older to keep it off. Every year it gets tougher to get this old boy out of the water on one ski.

wakolman
10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
A lot of good advice and comments on here.

Make your health a top priority (It sounds like you are already serious about that). What I say to people who know they eat too much fast food or know they don't exercise enough is "either do it on your terms or wait until it is too late (heart attack, diabetes) and you are forced to do it just to stay alive".

Run a calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you take in each day. If you don't have time or whatever excuse comes up to not exercise, then watch what you eat even closer.

I agree with the not eating late at night.

Here is one that follow: Try to eat your meals without a beverage. Your can digest your food better. Digestive enzymes break down the food in your stomach. If I drink a glass of water with my meal, I can literally hear the "sloshing" around in my stomach for some time afterwards. It makes sense to me that the enzymes my body needs to break down the food are being diluted and/or flushed away by the 10 oz. of whatever I drank with my meal. It isn't as hard to go without a drink as one might think (as long as your dinner doesn't consist of a bag of pretzels and a pack of saltines). <----I know, beer comes in 12 ouncers, I always pour some off for my homies.;)

lanier92prostar
10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I have started inputing my daily food intake into mypyramid.gov. I use this info to see the carbs, fats, and calories I have had. I have lost 10lbs since 9/1 since I started paying attention to what I eat.

east tx skier
10-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Dropped 30 lbs in early 2004. Most of it was from not drinking the overly sweetened drinks anymore though I still do a little sugar in the coffee. To jump start it, I would suggest eating no more than fist sized portions of lean meat (turkey, fish, chicken) and vegetables as a side be it a salad, green beans, sugar snapped peas, carrots, squash, you name it.

Lastly, exercise. I run 2.5 miles at 6 am monday, tuesday, and thursday. We have a bowflex that I work out on monday through thursday. When I wasn't running it in the morning, I was doing it on my lunch break. Three years later, my eating habits need a bit of correction again, but I'm still within 5 lbs of my target weight. I just need to lose those five pounds.

If you have a knack for cleaning your plate like I do. Cut a part of the portion out at the beginning of the meal and put it in a ziplock for later.

Someone once said to me, "Chew your food slowly and stop as soon as you feel full. There will be plenty of food for you at your next meal." It's simple, but if you follow that and exercise, you will be able to enjoy a beer without worrying so much about the fuel tank for a sex machine.

djhuff
10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
The best bet is to figure out what you can sustain eating wise. Get in the habit of eating exactly what you need to be on a continued even weight for the amount of activity you do. Then simply exercise more when you want to drop a few pounds. the basic premise is eating only what you need. Diets are great, but you can't go back to what got you that gut once you lose the weight.

I find that when I travel, I work out more than at home, since my commute time is much less, I use that time to hit the treadmill at the hotel. THis is great at conventions, since at home, I have to wake up at 630 to get to the office by 8, at the hotel, I can wake up at 630, go knock out a few miles on the treadmill, and still be in the conference by 8.

But get used to eating less, that is the biggest killer. When I fiinished up my collegiate athletic career, I popped on 30# just because I was used to eating 4-5000 calories a day (my nutrition prof flipped out when she saw that on the report we had to turn in on our food diary), and had a hard time adjusting to the quantities of a 2000 calorie a day diet.

Just remember there is no magic pill, you have to put effort into it.

Ryan
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm in the same circumstance. I just can't get up early enough to go run. I used to take running shoes and shorts with me on every business trip. But, they were only coming out of the suitcase for use about every other trip.

Now I try to pick hotels with a good pool and swim.

I'm also having an elliptiacal delivered tomorrow. It's replacing one that was damaged in the move. But, I'm hoping that in all of it's costly granduer that I'll be guilted into getting on once a day. I'll let you know how that goes.

Leah
10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
It's as simple as math.....I lost 20 lbs last year this way, Count your calories for three days while eating your regular diet, I first cut down to 1100 cal/dayfor two weeks, trust me you will learn to eat the "free foods" then I went to 1500cal/day for two weeks and then tried to keep under 2000cal/day for maint, I walked 30 min 3*week, that all worked well until I got sick two months ago and the entire world decided that I needed brownies, baked goods and casseroles to recover.......Now I have to start all over again........

M-Funf
10-02-2007, 02:09 PM

My wife and I have bikes, but our rides are rarely aerobic enough to get a good workout...generally just lumbering along.

I recently started going to a spin class at the gym. The instructor is an ex Army Ranger... :eek2: 60 minutes of hell.

As for alcohol, my wife does Weight Watchers, and one beer has more points than one martini...sooooooo :D

M-Funf
10-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I used to travel 90% of the time for work. I know how difficult that can be on exercise and meal management.

Now that I don't travel much, we're doing mostly weight watchers recipes. Most are actually pretty good. We make a list of dinners for the week (usually plan 5-6). Breakfast is fruit and lunch is leftovers from previous dinners.

We usually break routine once or twice a week for a pizza, mexican, or good ol' bar food...:o

Most important is to get buy-in from the other half that you need to work on it together. It's really easy to get off track...

rrbooker
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Your weight is fine for your height! You just need alittle cardio! Also try eating 6 times a day, small meals. I only do 5! This will give you energy during the whole day, and your body breaks the food down better!

I have

1. 1 protein shake in the morning, on my way to work
2. eat some fruit at 10am,
3. eat lunch at 1. I eat Salad every weekday, and what ever i want on the weekend
4. another protein shake at 4
5. and dinner no later than 7 (steak, chicken, pork, fish)!

I also try to work out 3 to 4 times a week, and i don't have a gym membership! I do it the old fashion way! I run, or mountain bike at least 2 times a week, but that's usually on the weekend.

BTW.. I really like my beer on the weekends!!!!

6ballsisall
10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks all! Lots of good input in here. As someone stated, I am concerned about my health and I'd rather catch it now than later. My career is very high stress and thats hard enough on the body, I don't need physical characteristics getting in the way too.
So I started this morning by eating three meals (I never ate breakfast before) and significantly decreasing my portions (forced)

I saw a few posts about not drinking as much fluids, especially at dinner time. Maybe thats my problem? (some of it) I drink at LEAST one gallon of Ice Tea daily (no sweetener, or any other junk in it) Perhaps thats detracting from my bodies ability to digest food?

RK@UST
10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Ok, here is the easiest way.
Like alot have said,
4-5 small meals a day
Keep a good nitrogen balance by consuming your bodyweight in grams of protein per day. Supplement with protein powder.
LIFT WEIGHTS 3 times per week. Cardio is GREAT, but this builds muscle and muscle BURNS fat. You don't have to lift heavy to do this.

Cardio 3 times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time. Try to do interval training if you can, it will increase your metabolism for a longer period of time. If you don't know what that is . It's speed intervals going all out for 1/2 the time you go slow ( recovery)

Example, let's take running , but it can be anything.
slow jog for 1 1/2 min, fast run for 30 sec. and repeat. 30 min of this is unreal if you go all out.

Eat smart, lift 3 times a week, and cardio 2 to 3 times.
Hell let's make it easy. Weekday's only.

OH yeah, forgot the most important.
Drink 1 gallon of water per day
I promise you , if you do M-F, you can have fun on the weekends, celebrate , don't take it to extremes, and get the job done.
Gaurantee.

Good luck.

Leroy
10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
That is a lot of tea JR, can you get to bed at night?

6ballsisall
10-02-2007, 10:45 PM
That is a lot of tea JR, can you get to bed at night?

No problem at all. I've drank 2 double esspressos before bed and hadn't an issue falling asleep.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
JR, most of what I am gonna say has already been said.

I have kept the 125 lbs I lost off for 4 years now. Every now and then, 10 lbs will creep up on me and my jeans get tight in the waist. I just use that as a wakeup call to bust my arse a bit to get back to target weight. its happend probably once a year in those 4 years. No big deal. I just drop the 10 and then go back to maintanence diet. The easiest tips I can offer are things you may already be doing.

for dropping the weight:

NO FAST FOOD!!! period! natta!
NO junk food! no soda, no candy, no chips!
NO restaurant foods! NOTTA! (this may be difficult with your job, but you gotta work around it just for a while learn to eat foods you can take to your hotel room for dinner. you can do this! its very cheap to grab a can of tuna fish, a jar of yogurt, some fresh fruit, a few slices of bread.)
Focus on Salads and such if you must eat in a restaurant.
Monitor your bread intake.... eat only whole grain breads.
NO Booze! Yes I MEAN NO ALCOHOL of ANY kind! ( you want to lose wieght right? you can bring it back on the maintence diet)
Lots of water.
look into green tea.
Get exercise! while on the road, take a walk or use the hotel gym.
Stay away from elevators. take the stairs. easy. simple. effective.

once you loose the weight, you can dial in a maintanense diet to keep your self where you want to be. you can bring back some favorite foods in moderation.

I know you think I am nuts for this, but if job stress (or any stress) is getting to you, look into learning meditation and yoga. yoga is nothing more than stretching your body. it helps prevent injury, sore muscles, fatigue, and promotes better posture. Meditation is not some weird thing were you sit around and chant and burn incense. that was called college. Meditation is just training your mind to calm down and relax. thus your body relaxes. The benefits are many. I cant say enough good about it. It helps you stay mentally focused. joke all you want, but its good stuff. nothing weird, just training your brain to be quiet for a while.

shepherd
03-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Anybody else doing this yoga stuff? I have a partially torn meniscus in my knee... Doc says no more running, heavy squats or lunges. My shoulder is f'ed up from lifting weights... no more lifting. I've been riding my bike a lot, even to work a few days a week (5 days a week). Yoga? I figure the stretching and balance would help the skiing if nothing else...

At least the doc said "Don't give up water skiing." It helps that he's a diehard slalom skier like me. :D

corey
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I used to work at a bike shop and almost all of the best riders were in yoga. The added flexibility not only makes you less prone to injury it allows you to sit in a more aero position on your bike. That being said I never tried it, to much biking and boarding for another hobby but all in all I've heard nothing but positives.

On another note also noticing the bulge and finally doing something about it. So far down 7 lbs, would like to lose another 25 but I'll be happy with 15.

JohnE
03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Shep, I've done the yoga X workout in P90X. I can see it being very effective.

kycat2007
03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
CrossFit is the answer.

CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.

Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing. Combat, survival, many sports, and life reward this kind of fitness and, on average, punish the specialist.

The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen.

All the workouts are scalable. Try this workout for example. You said no weighted squats right. Try doing 5 rounds for time
50 air squats, 20 pushups, 20 situps. Do not stop unless you have to. You will see your leg strength grow from nothing but your own weight.

Next day do 50 ft lunges, 20 air squats, 20 knees to chest jumps for 4 rounds and time.

You will be amazed at teh limited time needed and how much you are out of shape.

Crossfit.com
It is a gymnastic core strengthing workout instead of the bodybuilding stuff the gyms sell

JohnE
03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I think the workout above will stress the knee and shoulder just like resistance training with weights will.

Scott
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm 40, 5-10 and behind the wheel of a vehicle 5 days a week. I refuse to work out(because I know I wont be consistent). I started around june of last summer. I'm down 56 pounds up to today. I started at 250 pounds. Through summer, i drank like a fish and ate everything that wasnt fastened down. During the week, I would stay on the program. I use the atkins based program. I am sure many will disagree with it, but it works for me, where many others have failed. I dont starve, dont workout and can still loose weight. :D

scott023
03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm 40, 5-10 and behind the wheel of a vehicle 5 days a week. I refuse to work out(because I know I wont be consistent). I started around june of last summer. I'm down 56 pounds up to today. I started at 250 pounds. Through summer, i drank like a fish and ate everything that wasnt fastened down. During the week, I would stay on the program. I use the atkins based program. I am sure many will disagree with it, but it works for me, where many others have failed. I dont starve, dont workout and can still loose weight. :D

To be clear... you eat and drink what you want on the weekends and behave during the week? What does the Atkins diet you are on entail?

kycat2007
03-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Watch this video to get a better understanding of fitness
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_OpportunitiesPart1.wmv

this may be you but you will see the benefits

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_ScaledWOD.mov
this lady is like 65 or older and she dows not have issues with stress because she scales her workouts

Scott
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I guess what i was saying is i would cheat on weekends, during the summer, and by staying on program through the week, i was still able to lose weight throughout the summer. The atkins program has variations nowdays but basically its a low carb program. it does allow u to eat.. you just have to give up all your breads, pastas, potatos, chips etc.. Its not all great, but it does work..

To be clear... you eat and drink what you want on the weekends and behave during the week? What does the Atkins diet you are on entail?

Scott
03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
And to be clear, I am not advocating this lifestyle. I know there is no substitute for exercise. I am jst not going to do (exercise) on a regular basis..:cool:

Chief
03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Spend 7 months in the desert with no beer: Lift weights 6 days a week and run 12 miles a week.

Well it could be done anywhere without the beer.

I like that Crossfit workout plan. I'm sure if combined with weights and cardio it could be a super way to lose weight very quickly.

I have always thought that working out with your own body weight is the way to go.

RexDog1
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I am 6'4" I was 230lbs:( all I did was cut my food intake in half, and work out 1to2 hours a day, and in 6 months I am now 188lbs and fell good with more energy ............................ work out and cut back on your food intake ....... I am not a Dr. but I slept with my wife last night............:rolleyes:.

cmw
03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
I am 6'4" I was 230lbs:( all I did was cut my food intake in half, and work out 1to2 hours a day, and in 6 months I am now 188lbs and fell good with more energy ............................ work out and cut back on your food intake ....... I am not a Dr. but I slept with my wife last night............:rolleyes:.

RexDog,

I'm 6'5" 220lb. I realize I could shed a few pounds but 32lb and I would be too skinny. Half the food and working out 2 hours a day. I bet you did "fell" good. Just kidding you man! Good job. :D

shepherd
03-27-2009, 03:13 PM

You lost 42 lbs? Some drivers will do anything to make their race cars go faster. :rolleyes:
j/k congrats Rex, that's awesome.

I supposedly burned 450 calories on the elliptical during lunch today. Then I drove down to the BBQ joint for a pulled pork sammie. This **** doesn't seem to be working for me... :cool: