PDA

View Full Version : help needed for upgrading and customizing inst.panel

krakolos
10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi folks,

I would like to remove the speedo and tach holding plate and also the switch plates on each side of the steering wheel.

I will then have pieces of aluminum machined (circular pattern I think we call it billet), drilled and lettered, + change my throtle knob to aluminum also to give it a more 200x look since it is a 1998 PS190.

Please give me instruction on removing these equipements and include short cuts if any.

I will post pictures upon completion of the plastic surgery.

regards

krakolos
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
please help me with this one I am shure someone as the knowledge.

east tx skier
02-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I know there is a thread about this somewhere on the forum. The speedos and tachs are trickier on the 95--98 than on the early 90s MCs.

JLeuck64
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I haven't removed my instrument panel before. That being said I will offer this. The few times I have been under the dash looking back up I seem to remember some fasteners you can get to. For sure the best way to reach those would be to take your driver's seat out first. Then you can lie on your back and work a little more comfortably. It's not fun down there without the seat removed...

coz
02-01-2008, 09:36 PM
please help me with this one I am shure someone as the knowledge.

If it's like mine get on your back with a flashlight and poke your hand up through the big hole and feel around top for press clips and release, and I think the little guages are on with wing style nuts, you might have better access to the little ones once the big ones are out. Now with that said if you screw something up it's your fault not mine. :D

Memphis Mastercraft
02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Discount inboard Marine has a nice chrome shifter knob that i purchased for about $25 it makes a world of difference from the old faded black one.

BrianM
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I know there is a thread about this somewhere on the forum. The speedos and tachs are trickier on the 95--98 than on the early 90s MCs.
Actually the 95-97s are really easy. It was 98 that the dash looks the same but they did away with the screws on the front of the panel. If I rember right you actually have to partially remove the whole dash pod to get to the gauges on the '98s. Someone around here posted how to do it a whil back.

east tx skier
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Didn't they raise the big 3 gaugues up in 95? If so, I assume access changed in 98 then.