PDA

View Full Version : Leak From Underneath Dash onto Driver

Chicago190
10-01-2007, 04:03 PM
So I've had this issue I tried dealing with over the summer, but was never able to find the cause of. Basically, when the boat accelerates onto plane, a stream of water leaks from somewhere underneath the dash onto the driver's leg through the crack where the upper dash wraps around and meets the fiberglass panel below the dash (above driver's legs). I've checked the speedometer tubes (both function), tried drilling a hole at the low point under dash to prevent puddling up, and looked for other leaks. The boat does not have a heater core to my knowledge. What are some places to look that I haven't checked where water could enter the dash area? My guess is its leaking through weather stripping under the windshield or maybe through the vent under the front of the windshield. Thoughts?

Sodar
10-01-2007, 04:08 PM
So I've had this issue I tried dealing with over the summer, but was never able to find the cause of. Basically, when the boat accelerates onto plane, a stream of water leaks from somewhere underneath the dash onto the driver's leg through the crack where the upper dash wraps around and meets the fiberglass panel below the dash (above driver's legs). I've checked the speedometer tubes (both function), tried drilling a hole at the low point under dash to prevent puddling up, and looked for other leaks. The boat does not have a heater core to my knowledge. What are some places to look that I haven't checked where water could enter the dash area? My guess is its leaking through weather stripping under the windshield or maybe through the vent under the front of the windshield. Thoughts?

Check the rubrail. You could be getting water through the deck/hull transition, behind the rubrail.

bmeth11
10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
It sounds to me like it would be one of the speedometers. I had the same problem when the diaphram in one of mine developed a small hole. The faster i got the more water that leaked.

hydro-therapy
10-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Its the speedo had the same issue, try unhooking the tubes at the back of the boat the run and check it.

SkiDog
10-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Thats exactly what the problem is. Check the back of the speedo's and see if the tube has come loose.

Chicago190
10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Speedometer tubes were not loose. Could it be that they aren't fitting tightly and are still leaking? One of my gauges would become filled with moisture after 5 mins even when dried out. What is the solution, run new tubing? New pitots?

G-man
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
nothing worse than a loose speedo, right TMC#1?

mayo93prostar
10-02-2007, 04:31 PM
this thread goes south in 7 posts, wow! bring on the peacock too.

trickskier
10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
It sounds to me like it would be one of the speedometers. I had the same problem when the diaphram in one of mine developed a small hole. The faster i got the more water that leaked.
Like bmeth said the diaphram has gone bad in one of your speedo's. You will have to replace the speedo. As far as I know there is no fix for it.

TMCNo1
10-02-2007, 07:56 PM
nothing worse than a loose speedo, right TMC#1?

I think it was water coming from my tacohmeter, cuse that sucker was tacohin' 7000!:rolleyes: :D A tad of Teak Oil sealed it right up!

SkiDog
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM

28114this thread goes south in 7 posts, wow! bring on the peacock too.
OK, you asked for it. He appeared on my back porch last week at night time!