PDA

View Full Version : Oil change w/only 10 hrs on synthetic, or no?

ride
10-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I've put 10 hours on my LT-1 since last oil change and am looking at calling it a season as Autumn just got filled up with off-water priorities. With regular oil, I'd change it without question, BUT its running synthetic (Mobile1 15w-50).
Question: Considering only 10 hours, do I need to be as concerned about detioration issues with synthetic oil as I would with regular oil?
What's EVERYBODY'S take on this?

BTW-Funding for the change isn't the issue, but more just questioning if the change is overkill.

trickskier
10-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I would wait for bigmac's response. He knows more about oil than anyone on here.

bigmac
10-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Using synthetic is overkill. IMHO the problem with letting old oil sit over the winter is the combustion byproducts (acids) sitting around in the engine.

The only advantage of synthetic over dino oil is shear stability, and its advantage in that regard over high quality Group II base stock oils like CI-4/SL diesel in a boat that's following mfgr's recommended change intervals is negligible. Note that Indmar says synthetic is OK after 100 hours on the engine, but that using it does not allow extended drain intervals. I'm sure that's due to the combustion byproduct issue, which provides no advantage to synthetic oil.

Answer to your question IMHO is that even with only 10 hours on this oil change, I'd change it again before putting it away. I agree that that might be overkill, however. OTOH, no engine ever suffered from too many oil and filter changes.

Maristar210
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Personally, even if I was unfortunate enough to only put just one (1) hour on the boat I would change it. You should change it every fall no matter the number of hours. Its peace of mind too because you then have no unexpected expense in the spring, you just dewinterize and go !!!

MYMC
10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Using synthetic is overkill. IMHO the problem with letting old oil sit over the winter is the combustion byproducts (acids) sitting around in the engine.

The only advantage of synthetic over dino oil is shear stability, and its advantage in that regard over high quality Group II base stock oils like CI-4/SL diesel in a boat that's following mfgr's recommended change intervals is negligible. Note that Indmar says synthetic is OK after 100 hours on the engine, but that using it does not allow extended drain intervals. I'm sure that's due to the combustion byproduct issue, which provides no advantage to synthetic oil.

Answer to your question IMHO is that even with only 10 hours on this oil change, I'd change it again before putting it away. I agree that that might be overkill, however. OTOH, no engine ever suffered from too many oil and filter changes.
Amen brother...amen.

ride
10-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Using synthetic is overkill.
Yea, I know it may be more than I need but I will say its given me a little piece-of-mind when I've let the wife drive and some weeds have found their way into my f/w intake.

IMHO the problem with letting old oil sit over the winter is the combustion byproducts (acids) sitting around in the engine...

Ahh, so its the byproducts from combustion that leave the inpurities/acid rather than the break-down effect of heat/friction on the engine oil itself. Is that right?

bigmac
10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Yea, I know it may be more than I need but I will say its given me a little piece-of-mind when I've let the wife drive and some weeds have found their way into my f/w intake.

Ahh, so its the byproducts from combustion that leave the inpurities/acid rather than the break-down effect of heat/friction on the engine oil itself. Is that right?Yes. The oil doesn't break down.

Hoosier Bob
10-02-2007, 12:11 AM
I could tell you a story but I won't. Let's just say bad things happened and I am glad to have always run syn! My Toro loves me for it as well! My truck loves me for it and if my boat heats up I will not me serving Dino!;)