PDA

View Full Version : I got scammed (by the CITY) long post....

Ric
10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
So the wife and I head to the Astros game this past saturday to do some volunteer work for a local High School group. (basically, your group hands out freebies before the game and the astros donate a bunch of cash to your school group)

We show up early as asked.
('stros suck this year, so there isn't a huge early crowd, so we get these great, metered parking spaces next to the stadium... )

Pay the computerized meter and place the receipt on our dashboards as instructed and head into the facility. The parking was so good we called our friends who were helping out and told them to park with us....

Our meter gave us roughly 3 hrs and we were done in about 1.5hrs... we decide to walk across the street (past our cars) to the sportsbar & get a beer and a sandwich prior to heading home.....

We walk out into the drizzle to find our trucks missing...

Police being the caring, intelligent guys that they were, had no idea who towed us or what our beef was with having been towed... Genius actually asked me "who told you you could park there?". I told the young fella, "you are not listening to me... Nobody told me NOT to park there! hell son, I even paid to park there!"

Apparantly, you cannot be parked in those spaces 2hrs before game time... since we arrived 3hrs before game time, we weren't aware of such a rule (no signage) ...

$20 cab ride to the local impound yard.

One impound yard has my truck but not the other guy's truck... he's going ballistic so I look sane when I ask the lady if we are the first pizzed off people she's seen today...

Wives are not following my directions so they botch the cab thing 8 ways to hell and the other guy is yelling at the other impound lady when I drive up in my truck! ahhahaha

Wives damn near stick the other guy's atm card in to the conveniently located atm built into the fence of the impound lot in the armpit shadows of downtown Houston, when I finally yell STOP! You women get in the car and don't help anymore...

I pay the lady for his truck and he runs like a girl into the impound yard to check on his 07 tundra:rolleyes:

$400 CASH! later, I have both cars out of impound and we are rolling.. $140 for a margarita drowning of a dinner to make up for our friends hassles, and we head home...

Today, we still each have a city of Houston ticket for $35 to pay for our blatant disregard for event parking:mad:

So much for volunteering your time! It's really expensive :o

Now, several entities profited from my afternoon of volunteerism... is any of this deductible on my 07
taxes?............................:cool:

PendO
10-01-2007, 02:51 PM
ric, that blows ... but it does warm my heart that somebody else spend cash and got nothing in return ... I ruined a couple parts in my gas fireplace last week ... and after 700 bucks it works just as good as it did before I effed it up trying to play electrician ... how the hell do you know not to park there if there is no signage??

milkmania
10-01-2007, 02:52 PM
blah, blah, blah *snip
but, did the Astros win?:cool:

just kidding.... glad the farmer's around here don't mind if we park amongst the cows and hay baling equipment:rolleyes:

Maristar210
10-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Buy a dictionary and a clock or take the bus!!!8p

Ric
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
ok, I get the bus and the clock, but a dictionary? :rolleyes:

Monte
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
ok, I get the bus and the clock, but a dictionary? :rolleyes:

I think he meant to say hooked on phonics;) Seriously ric.. Is there no way to contest the ticket and the towing?? With no signage??

Ric
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
ric, that blows ... but it does warm my heart that somebody else spend cash and got nothing in return ... I ruined a couple parts in my gas fireplace last week ... and after 700 bucks it works just as good as it did before I effed it up trying to play electrician ... how the hell do you know not to park there if there is no signage?? glad to warm someones heart. I have a bad case of the redass after this deal.

how the hell do you know not to park there if there is no signage??according to the rhodes scholars in blue, you "just sposed to know sir". he said there is a sign.... I have still yet to find it :(

Ric
10-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I think he meant to say hooked on phonics;) Seriously ric.. Is there no way to contest the ticket and the towing?? With no signage?? I honestly believe I'm SOL on contesting... by the time I'm done fighting this, I'll have doubled my losses.

Yes, I'm as selfish as the other 15-20 people per day who've been victim to this scam over the past 5-6 years, I am probably not going to change the world:mad:

bstrom-tt
10-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Maybe a call to the local news organization would get the ball rolling. Around here, the TV/newspaper folk love to show how the city, county or state bureaucracy can screw people over.

and it's simply amazing to see how fast those same bureaucracies fall all over themselves to right the wrong when there incompetence is plastered all over the media.

Maristar210
10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
I was not there but if there was plenty of parking right in front I might be suspicious about why. On Second thought it was a Stros game and since the Ryan express, JR Reed and Joaquin Andujar are no longer pitching I might pass as well....

The dictionary portion might be another language? I dunno8p

TreeClimber

trickskier
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Your tax dollars at work....................;)

Monte
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I agree with bstrom.. Call the eyewitness news trouble-maker/ resolver people.... That could be fun! But that might be your 15minutes too...

Ric
10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Maybe a call to the local news organization would get the ball rolling. Around here, the TV/newspaper folk love to show how the city, county or state bureaucracy can screw people over.

and it's simply amazing to see how fast those same bureaucracies fall all over themselves to right the wrong when there incompetence is plastered all over the media. notta bad idea!

steve, belieeeeeve me, I thought about why in the hell there were plenty of empty spaces and looked the area over completely to be sure this kinda thing wouldn't happen to me.... :o

Ric
10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
oh ya, and I read the ticket again today... the ticket is for "other" and he handwrote into the block on the ticket, "No parking/Towaway 2hrs before event".

Ric
10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
oh ya and if you are so damn smart that you write in military time, why would you write "am" or "pm" after your entry?

wakolman
10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Maybe take a pic of the street where you parked, showing the signage (and lack of) as your proof. Yeah, probably not going to win in fighting it, and won't be worth your time if you do. Maybe a call or a letter to the DA with pic explaining your problem is most efficient and practical.

RexDog1
10-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Sorry Ric………..
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED:o

Leroy
10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
I would have the high school principle write a letter, actually you write it and give it to him to send to mayor or chief of police explaining what happened and that their consideration in the matter would be appreciated.

djhuff
10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Dropping the $35 ticket shouldn't be a problem with minimal effort, however, you are not going to get the impound fee or towing fee back without some serious fighting. Towing companies act on a tow now, ask questions later mentality. That is why they make you pay cash, because you have no real recourse for getting your money back.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I would have the high school principle write a letter, actually you write it and give it to him to send to mayor or chief of police explaining what happened and that their consideration in the matter would be appreciated.
^^^^^^^^To Obi Wan you listen. ^^^^^^^^^

Ric
10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
but, did the Astros win?:cool:

just kidding.... glad the farmer's around here don't mind if we park amongst the cows and hay baling equipment ya know... I don't even know who won... it was biggio night, and I never even saw the first pitch(or any of the game) ! :rolleyes: somehow, by the time the margaritas came, I still hadn't wondered if the astros were winning or not. hahhaha maybe I could get biggio to reimburse me, but he is on a fixed income now that he's retired

TMCNo1
10-01-2007, 07:28 PM

and it's simply amazing to see how fast those same bureaucracies fall all over themselves to right the wrong when there incompetence is plastered all over the media.

I agree Ric, contact all the local TV stations, tell them your story and let them investigate and plaster it on the 6:00 pm news and see what happens, along with follow-up segments as thing progress to keep pressure on the people who allowed this to happen. We have a reporter here at every station (Channel 2, is "2 wants 2 Know") who does nothing but listen to unique situations like yours, investigate, interview all those involved on camera and most always the bad guys cooperate and there is some kind of settlement arrived at, like an apology along with a refund, free parking for life, something that will make them look go, not bad.