PDA

View Full Version : charging issue

sheckski
10-01-2007, 01:37 PM
i have a 2000 205v with the original alternator, although I have gone through many belts and batteries. My volt gauge is reading fine except when I get to 4500 rpm + or so and then I show a draw on the battery. The belt seems tight and the alternator mount is fine. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this ?

JimN
10-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Make sure the charging lead is tight on the alternator and the battery terminals are clean, even if they were cleaned during the season.

rektek
10-01-2007, 02:13 PM
i have a 2000 205v with the original alternator, although I have gone through many belts and batteries. My volt gauge is reading fine except when I get to 4500 rpm + or so and then I show a draw on the battery. The belt seems tight and the alternator mount is fine. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this ?

can you describe your symptoms better ? what does draw on the battery at 4500 rpm mean ?

J :o

sheckski
10-01-2007, 02:22 PM
meaning I usually show 13v on the gauge but it drops to 11 v or so.

JimN
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
My guess is that the belt is slipping, due to accessories used at this time. Turn everything off that's not absolutely needed for running the boat and see if it changes. No stereo, coolers, pumps, lights, Perfect Pass, nothing. Just the key ON, running, hauling azz and having fun. If it still has a problem, have the alternator tested. You'll probably have to tell them the pulley sizes- that will let them know the RPM of the alternator. If you normally have no issues with battery discharge, changing to an undersized crank pulley is an easy way to decrease the load on the motor and slow the alternator RPM. The battery won't be getting a good charge until slightly higher engine RPM but if you don't do a lot of low speed runs, it'll be fine. Doing a couple of mid to high speed laps at the end of the session will help charge it, too, as long as it won't disrupt things for others.