PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Options

Oklahoma 280STS
10-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Winterizing our 280 STS cost over $250 last fall. I am physically unable to perform this task myself. In northern Oklahoma winters can be severe. Question-If I am able to assure a climate above freezing and add stablizer to the fuel can I save the money and not winterize? Thanks for your help.

dpolen
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
$250 sounds like cheap insurance for a 280STS...I know somebody smarter than I will come along shortly, but I think the unofficial answer is "yes".

bigmac
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
What about engine and transmission oil change? Filter? Impeller? All the other stuff MasterCraft recommends once a season to keep your very expensive boat happy?

Didn't you guys just have a pretty substantial ice storm down that way last winter? I recall seeing photos of lots of downed power lines. Personally, I wouldn't trust my engine block to the reliability of my local power company. At the very least I'd drain the block, heater and potable water lines.

dsoby
10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Yes, you could do this but you will be betting your engine that your climate control system doesn't malfunction. If you go this route, you should run your engine occasionally over the stroage season.

JimN
10-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Oklahoma 280STS- get a list of everything they did and think about how important it is to not crack the block/manifolds/oil cooler, or damage anything else with raw water in it. Then, think about how the used oil is etching into the machined engine parts like the cam, crankshaft, connecting rods, valves, lifters and then there are the bearings, which are soft metal anyway. Trans oil, battery removal, anti-corrosion, lubing and servicing the trailer, removing and bagging all of the hull and motor plugs so they can be left in a conspicuous place for re-installation in spring and anything else they normally do.

If you can't do it yourself, it's necessary to pay someone to do it and understandable that you might not want to but when faced with what could happen if you don't, it's pretty cheap. You could shop around but if you find a shop that will do it for less, it's probably not going to be as close as you want.

Diesel
10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Don't worry about it....save the $250 all will be fine.:rolleyes:

NeilM
10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
$250 is cheap compared to what friends are telling me they're paying for winterization up here.
JimN is dead on.. lots more than just the cold to consider..

Yellow X9
10-02-2007, 09:41 AM
$ 250.00 is alot cheaper than a new block

Thrall
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
As described above, alot of the "winterization" is really just annual maintenance that needs to be done anyway. I've never even been in a MC 280/X80, but winterization is not that difficult, and for the big $$ you spent on the boat, proper maintenance is important.

east tx skier
10-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Big money boat. Big money maintenance. Is that the twin engine? Like was said above, winterization is often coupled with annual maintenance. For that price, I doubt they're just draining and stabilizing.

You can drain and stabilize yourself in under 10 minutes. Oil and transmission fluid changes are bare minimum on top of that IMO.

Impellers and fuel filters in the spring. I'd go the extra $20 and get some new spark plugs, but that's just me.

/all the plural spelling above assumes twin engine.

Maristar210
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I would definately winterize and have them do the seasonal maintenance on your boat. No question about it.....

Good Luck - Steve

mccobmd
10-02-2007, 04:38 PM
My brother in law kept his I/O in heated storage in Norman,OK last winter. Took it out the first time and had water filling faster than bilge could pump it out. 3600 dollars later had a new engine block. 3600/250 equals a lot of peace of mind and many years of fun.

Chief
10-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Move to FL. No winterzation required. Just bug spray.

corey
10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I've personally had to tell people who didnt winterize their boats because they were in "heated storage" that their block was cracked. It is not a good feeling to tell someone let alone be on the recieving end.

An X-80 with out engines is pretty much the most expensive paper weight you will ever own so get it winterized!