PDA

View Full Version : 1985 S&S Restoration Thread

BrianM
09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Everything is official. I bought myself an '85 project boat. I am going to keep a log here of the restoration process for all to see. Here are the details.

1985 S&S PCM 351 Powerslot, 475 hours. All original interior. I am now the third owner. Boat came with the original MC and PCM Owners manuals along with a few very cool promotional literature. Boat has been in storage for the past 5 years. Overall it is in pretty nice shape but just needs a good owner to show it some MC love. Only bummer about the boat is the ugly non-MC trailer. It tows well and the breaks work great but it sure isn't very good looking.

One final note. This boat is FOR SALE! Depending on how far along I am will determine the price. I bought this boat right and will make someone a great deal on the boat. PM me and we can talk.

So now for a few before photos.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 08:56 PM
A side shot with functional but not so pretty trailer.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Someone was a little sloppy with the teak sealer.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 08:58 PM
All original interior. A little dirty but in excellent shape.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Another interior shot.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Powerslot!

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Dash and gauges all in good shape.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:03 PM
462 original hours.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
She's been asleep for 5 years. Will she run? I think so. A new carb and some fresh fuel should bring life to this old girl.

cbryan70
09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
What is the price range you are thinking it to be around? ball park?

cbryan70
09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
little bit of eather would fire her right up! :-)

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
One more interior shot. The backseat has the only cracks on the interior. Two small 1 1/2 inch cracks on the cushion.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
A little bit of chalking on the gel. But look around the stars. There is a deep shine under there.

BrianM
09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
One more for now. Again a little gel fade but there is life not far under there.

Chas
10-01-2007, 10:30 AM
That looks so much better than the project I'm working on - good shopping!

shepherd
10-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Good find Brian! I hope you have as much fun restoring it as I did my old '90. That interior is in great shape given the age. Hopefully, it'll clean up nice for you.

Good luck! And please keep us posted with pics of the process.

85S&S_Keuka
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Good Luck Brian, You may even find that you want to keep that '85 once it's all dolled up.:)

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Here is an update for ya. I have about 10 hours into compounding and polishing the hull. I have averything but the bottom of the boat done.
I did two passes with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound and two passes with the 3M Cleaner Wax. All of this with a 7" Wool pad with my Makita set to forced circular mode. The cleaner has enough ebrasive in it to remove any of the light haze from the compound and produces a nice shine.

After I finish this process on the bottom I am going to go over it one more time with a Meguires Polish and then one final coat of good Meguires Carnuba Wax. But it is looking good.

Here are the stars with a nice uniform gray in the background now.

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Notice the Makita reflecting in the gel?

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:10 PM
A side view. The old girl is starting to look her old self.

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Had to do a little wet sanding on the transom to remove all of the old teak sealer. No more white spots and brown streaks.

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
And the money shot. There is something about the bow of these boats with the raised portion, the stars and the nostrils.

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I ordered a new carb and some basic tune up parts from DIM this moring. Hope to have it running with me giving the old girl a test ski next week. More to come...............

east tx skier
10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Nice looking tug, Brian. I predict you'll have no problem selling it.

Slinkyredfoot
10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey Brian, it is looking very good....now aren't you happy you bought the boat????

BrianM
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
now aren't you happy you bought the boat????

Yes! But my wife may not be. I am already attached to it and I haven't even had it on the water yet. I half joking told my wife we could keep it as our public water boat. She wasn't amused. :o

Slinkyredfoot
10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Yea I can relate, I bought a very nice MC a few years back as a project, I had to sell it though because it did not have the blessings of a loving wife....apparently "do whatever you f.....g want" did not mean what I thought....:rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Ooooh, Brian, Rawley Vision 5 panel mirror. You didn't mention that.

BrianM
10-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Ooooh, Brian, Rawley Vision 5 panel mirror. You didn't mention that.

Yes it has the Rawley Vision. Very retro indeed. I flipped it up today and was taking a look back. One h*ll of a view with that thing. It also still has the original mirror on the dash just in case you need a little extra vision out back. :rolleyes:

shepherd
10-04-2007, 12:01 AM
And the money shot. There is something about the bow of these boats with the raised portion, the stars and the nostrils.

Ooooh. Very nice.
I noticed the mirror too. Never heard of Rawley, but it looks real cool.

Sodar
10-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Looks Great Brian! The only thing detracting from the looks is that trailer... that thing is a peice of work.

H20skeefreek
10-04-2007, 07:24 AM
... we could keep it as our public water boat. .... :o

Until you take it out onto public water, then you'll want to get rid of it as soon as possible. The boats are GREAT..... on private lakes.

Nice work on the gel by the way.

mayo93prostar
10-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Wow Brian, that hull looks like it is in good shape. it looks really good after your polishing. hope it runs good. i still recommend draining the oil out of it before running it but it is a trade off with the idea of warming up the oil to get it out. good luck. hey, we post pics on here, can we post sound clips to hear V8 rumbles???? that would be sweeeeet.

BrianM
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Looks Great Brian! The only thing detracting from the looks is that trailer... that thing is a peice of work.
Starting next week all photos of the boat will be taken on the water. As well as the trailer works and tows it sure doesn't add to the looks of the boat. Function over form there.

Wow Brian, that hull looks like it is in good shape. it looks really good after your polishing. hope it runs good. i still recommend draining the oil out of it before running it but it is a trade off with the idea of warming up the oil to get it out.

It is going to get two oil changes in very short time. First one immediately and the second after a couple of hours of run time.

Monte
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Nice looking boat you have there Brian..

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes it has the Rawley Vision. Very retro indeed. I flipped it up today and was taking a look back. One h*ll of a view with that thing. It also still has the original mirror on the dash just in case you need a little extra vision out back. :rolleyes:

Still have the one I picked up on ebay. Great view indeed.

BrianM
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I made substantial progress today. She is alive! After a little trouble shooting and some effort got the boat fired up and took it out on the lake for a little run. I actually managed to get it started on the old carb. I am going to switch it out with the new one though because I have a little bit of a rough idle and some hesitation on a start with heavy throttle. Amazing that it was running at all with a carb that has been sitting for 5 years. The boat does run strong though. idles with about 30 lbs of oil pressure. Transmission shifts in and out of gear smoothly. I have basic tune up parts on the way to replace all of the old plugs wires cap rotor etc.

Life is good!!!!!!!!!

KnoxX2
10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
That's awsome !

How was the ride?

Slinkyredfoot
10-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Starting next week all photos of the boat will be taken on the water. As well as the trailer works and tows it sure doesn't add to the looks of the boat. Function over form there.

It is going to get two oil changes in very short time. First one immediately and the second after a couple of hours of run time.

Regarding your trailer, I have seen 2 MC trailers here around our lake this summer that are like my 79 but I know would work with your boat.

One may be available if I could find the guy, saw it earlier this spring and may have a picture .... he was pulling a "Lund" fishin' boat on it believe it or not...would you be interested if I could get it cheap???

KnoxX2
10-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Regarding your trailer, I have seen 2 MC trailers here around our lake this summer that are like my 79 but I know would work with your boat.

One may be available if I could find the guy, saw it earlier this spring and may have a picture .... he was pulling a "Lund" fishin' boat on it believe it or not...would you be interested if I could get it cheap???

Could trade trailers then its a win - win :D

pq2
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow Brian, great work, please post some pics on the water. Congratulations again.

Slinkyredfoot
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Trailer pic I was refering to earlier,

BrianM
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Trailer pic I was refering to earlier,
Where are you located? That trailer looks like it is in pretty decent shape. I would be interested at the right price if it wasn't too far away.
Could trade trailers then its a win - win :D
I would definitely be interested in that if the MC trailer was in servicable shape.

This 5 Star trailer actually loaded and unloaded pretty easy. It is just not great looking.

Wow Brian, great work, please post some pics on the water. Congratulations again.
Probably not going to be able to get any on water pics til next week. Don't think I am going to get a chance to get back to it the rest of this week.

Stay tuned..............

cbryan70
10-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Well this just is not fair. YOU SAID the rest of the pics will be on the water! Well you never said that the pics wouldnt be coming for two weeks!! Glad to hear you got her breathing again. What did it take to get the carb running?

BrianM
10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
What did it take to get the carb running?
Actually the old carb ran without doing a thing. I drained all of the old fuel out of the tank and replaced the fuel filter. Put about 7 gallons of fresh 92 octane in the tank and went at it.

I was having a spark issue that Vince at DIM helped me track down to a bad ballast resistor. I had been getting spark at the coil but not much. By-passed the resistor just to see if I could get it to fire, dumped some fresh fuel straight down the carb to help get it some immediate fuel, hit the key for about 1 second and the boat fired right up and ran until it ran out of gas. Dumped a little more fuel down the carb and tried agan. Again a quick hit of the key and she was running. That second hit of fuel down the carb was enough to get the fuel pumped from the tank and it kept running. After I let it run for a few minutes the temp came up a bit and I broght the throttle back to idle. The idle was set really low so the boat was stumbling. Set the idle up a little bit and all was good. Turned it off let it sit for a few minutes hit the key again and it fired right away.

That is when i decided to take it off the fake a lake and stick the boat in the water. Again fired right up and I fast idled the lake a bit then did a few ski speed runs. The carb definitely is not running great. It is hesitating real bad with a fast push of the throttle (probably the accelerator pump). The boat also seems to be running very rich. I have the new carb in the box and am going to switch it out. This ought to get rid of all of those issues. That along with fresh ignition parts and the boat is going to purr like a kitten

BrianM
10-09-2007, 09:47 PM
The other great thing is that everything on the dash is working. All of the guages and speedos are working perfect. All of the guage backlights work and all of the backlights on the toggle switches work.

BrianM
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
The boat is coming along nicely. Got the new carb on and the hesitation is gone. Boat idles great, has a nice strong hole shot and holds slalom speed well. Replaced plug wires, rotor and gave it a fresh oil change. Decided to use the boat for the evening slalom sets and do a little photo shoot. Skied the boat into 32 off 36 mph tonight. It's not my '97 but it skies well. Thanks to my ski partner for idling around for the photos.

First one. I still need to replace the star on the bow.

BrianM
10-16-2007, 08:51 PM
And the other side.

BrianM
10-16-2007, 08:53 PM
The rear. Teak is not ready for photos yet. It is still in the garage awaiting 'Harold worthy' restoration

Farmer Ted
10-16-2007, 08:53 PM
sounds like you're keeping it?

BrianM
10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
sounds like you're keeping it?
Negative ghost rider.

Just a reminder to everyone. The boat is FOR SALE! I'll make someone an awesome deal on a great boat. Give this classic a good home. PM me and we'll talk.

BrianM
10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
And finally another bow shot.

6ballsisall
10-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Brian I really screwed the pooch on this deal! That boat should be sitting in my garage right now.....:(

Slinkyredfoot
10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey Brian,
You got that boat looking good in no time, did it fall out of favor or is the wife on your butt about selling it....just asking

BrianM
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I never planned to keep it. The boat is ready to start finding a new home.

Slinkyredfoot
10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Well my friend it looks good, if I were in the market I would consider this nice ride....and the trailer? I located one for you in Indiana amd procured the wheels for a mere $299, I guess I will keep it then and haul the new "Lund"

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Boat looks very nice Brian! :cool: :cool:

pq2
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow Bryan, the boat looks even better on the water. Is it posible to install a perfect pass in those boats?

BrianM
10-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Wow Bryan, the boat looks even better on the water. Is it posible to install a perfect pass in those boats? Yep! Perfect Pass would be an easy install.

BrianM
10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Last night I changed out the plugs and replaced the ignition switch that was a little stiff. Also spent a couple of hours with the Makita giving the boat a polish and then a fresh coat of carnuba.

Got a 13.7 x 17.5 XMP in the mail (thanks again alletric!) and dropped it off at the local prop shop for a little rehab. That should be done and on the boat by Wednesday. Can't wait to see the difference and the smoothness of a freshly rehabed XMP over the dinged up stock prop.

Oh and the boat is still FOR SALE! PM me if you are even a little interested. This boat will be a great buy for someone I promise.

BrianM
10-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Just got the 13.7 x 17.5 OJ XMP back from the prop shop. Alletric was kind enough to donate the injured prop to the cause. You can see where the prop was worked on the edges but the pretty CNC marks are still mostly there. Going to put it on the boat this evening and then give her a test run. Ought to make a HUGE difference over the old dinged up forged 3 blade.

Willski
10-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Boat looks great Brian.....I already have one though!

Sodar
10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Have you come up with an asking price? With that galvi trailer, I could have a very nice rig for the salt bath....:rolleyes:

BrianM
10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Have you come up with an asking price? With that galvi trailer, I could have a very nice rig for the salt bath....:rolleyes:
It really would be a shame to have this boat rot in the salt. But money talks.

Sodar
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
It really would be a shame to have this boat rot in the salt. But money talks.

Who said rot?? I would take great care of it. I have actually been looking for an outboard, but with that galvi trailer, this would be perfect.

Rockman
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Brian,

My hat is off to you on getting the boat looking awesome!:headbang:

I do like the color combination and the stars!

J

BrianM
10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Brian,

My hat is off to you on getting the boat looking awesome!:headbang:

I do like the color combination and the stars!

J

Thanks a lot. Wait until you see it with the newly finished teak deck. Howard will be proud ;)

Jim@BAWS
10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Brian

The BIG thing that you will notice is that the POWERSLOT Humm/Whin
will be almost nill. The 4 blade will change the sound of that boat.
More HOLE shot...you will also notice a change in the table behind the boat. It should be a nicer softer table

Let us all know

Jim@BAWS

Just got the 13.7 x 17.5 OJ XMP back from the prop shop. Alletric was kind enough to donate the injured prop to the cause. You can see where the prop was worked on the edges but the pretty CNC marks are still mostly there. Going to put it on the boat this evening and then give her a test run. Ought to make a HUGE difference over the old dinged up forged 3 blade.

cbryan70
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
table behind the boat? meaning the rooster tail? Mine is pretty rough at 15 off i have a 78 without power slot tho. Would a 4 blade improve my holeshot alot? I know the boat is old but she was struggling when we were trying to get two skiers out of the water. One is no problem but just to mess around with two somtimes is fun.

Jim@BAWS
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
table behind the boat? meaning the rooster tail? Mine is pretty rough at 15 off i have a 78 without power slot tho. Would a 4 blade improve my holeshot alot? I know the boat is old but she was struggling when we were trying to get two skiers out of the water. One is no problem but just to mess around with two somtimes is fun.

Do you have a 1:1 or a powerslot 1.5:1 going to a 4 blade 13 x 13 will
help. you might loose 1/2 MPH on the top end.

IS IT REALLY A SLOT or a 1:1 A slot has a 14 x 18 prop

A 4 blade will change the table somewhat and will increase holeshot
on a slot

Thanks

Jim

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Brian,
Couple of quick questions for ya.

- Did you use a high-speed polisher for the buffing work? Variable RPM?
- Did you leave the decals on and buff over them, or replace them after buffing?

I'd like to buff mine out this winter, but I'm concerned about a buffer taking off the decals. I may replace the decals anyway, but I'll probably try buffing over them to see if that works out first.

Thx,

BrianM
10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I used a Makita dual mode polisher set in the forced rotation mode for all of the compounding and polishing. See this thread for the machine I used http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19450&highlight=makita
I used 3m Super Duty rubbing compound with a high quality wool pad. I did all of the compoundind and polishing with the decals on although I was very careful around the edges and did not put any pressure on the machine over the decals. It turned out great and I did not bugger up any of the decals.
Brian,
Couple of quick questions for ya.

- Did you use a high-speed polisher for the buffing work? Variable RPM?
- Did you leave the decals on and buff over them, or replace them after buffing?

I'd like to buff mine out this winter, but I'm concerned about a buffer taking off the decals. I may replace the decals anyway, but I'll probably try buffing over them to see if that works out first.

Thx,

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks, Brian.

Looks like I'll be putting a polisher on my Christmas list.

One more question: How do you think a polisher will work with my textured deck?

BrianM
10-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Brian.

Looks like I'll be putting a polisher on my Christmas list.

One more question: How do you think a polisher will work with my textured deck?
Those textured decks are tough. A friend of mine had an '82 with it. That beind said I think with a nice fluffy wool pad and some extra patience it will work well.

BrianM
10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
WOW!!!

Cut out a little early do get the new prop on the boat and give it a test run. Unfortunately when I got to the lake conditions were horrible. The lake was flooded (about 10-15ft higher than normal and the wind was blowing about 20mph and COLD. To top it off I was by myself. Put the prop on and had to give it a try even with the bad conditions.

What a HUGE difference this prop makes. It is night and day smoother than the stock 3 blade. Like Jim said above the prop is also much quieter in the boat. Nice improvement to the hole shot too. Couldn't really tell much about the wake or table because of the conditions.

For anyone who has an older boat with a slot I can not reccomend this prop enough. Even with a short test run I can tell that it has made the boat completely different and all to the better.

Here is a shot of the boat on the lake. Normally the ramp to the dock slopes down at a pretty good angle. Today not only was the water 18" deep over the end of the ramp but it was sloping up.

BrianM
10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
One last note. The boat hadn't been started in a week and the air temp was 57 degrees this afternoon. One pump of the throttle to set the choke and them set the throttle at a fast idle and the boat fired up on the very first turn of the key. About a 3 min warm up to operating temp and she was good to go.

Life is good.

alletric
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Glad to hear the prop worked out for you Brian. I share the same results when I went to a XMP. It is like going from a radial engine to a turbine. Smooth as glass.

Footin
10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Nice boat Brain, any offers yet?

BrianM
10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Nice boat Brain, any offers yet?

I am currently trying to work a deal with someone here on the board. No committment yet though. I have my fingers crossed.

BrianM
10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Here's the teak. The last coat of oil is drying. Will finish up with a couple of coats of paste wax. The teak on this deck is substantially darker and has a darker grain than the one on my '97. The deeper color ought to look great on the boat.

BrianM
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Here is a quick before and after.

KnoxX2
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
That looks great Brian.
How did you do it?

BrianM
10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
That looks great Brian.
How did you do it?
I use the 'Harold Method' http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6841&d=1140472173

Although this platform was in really bad shape and very rough. I started with 80 grit on a palm sander then went to 120 then to 220 and then used the 'Harrold Method' although I only go to 1500 grit. The photo above is just before the 1500 and final coats of Johnson Wax.

Wake_USF
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Very sexy!!! That boat is awesome!!! Can you pm me your asking price?

JohnE
10-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Very nice job Brian. Thanks for sharing the entire project with us.

TMCNo1
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
I use the 'Harold Method' http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6841&d=1140472173

Although this platform was in really bad shape and very rough. I started with 80 grit on a palm sander then went to 120 then to 220 and then used the 'Harrold Method' although I only go to 1500 grit. The photo above is just before the 1500 and final coats of Johnson Wax.

You did a very nice job and you Graduate with a A+, you go to the "Head Of the Class"!:D

Slinkyredfoot
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
You did a very nice job and you Graduate with a A+, you go to the "Head Of the Class"!:D

Coming form the MasterCrafter, I would consider this a compliment...
Looks great Brian, amazing how the detail comes out as well

wade95
10-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Man, now that is a nice looking boat. If it wasn't for the divorce I'm about to go through I'd buy it right now. The 85 S&S is the first boat I learned to ski behind.

TMCNo1
10-25-2007, 02:34 PM
If it wasn't for the boat, we would probably have gone thru our first divorce!

BrianM
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Got the new star installed on the bow of the boat so now she has all of her teeth again :D Also instlled the freshly finished platform and stapled a little loose upholstery on the rear seat.

The felt like material on the bunks of the trailer have been leaving some black goo on the bottom of my freshly polished hull. I had some black bunk carpet lying around from when I redid the bunks on my '88 trailer so I decided to tear off the old and replace with fresh. When I tore off the carpet I found that one punk had a soft end so I replaced that as well. Only got two bunks done before I ran out of light last night. I will finish up and take some more pictures tomorrow.

Since the boat was off the trailer I decided to take her out to stretch. Water in the lake was still high but not horrible and conditions were nearly glass. The XMP continues to impress. So silky smooth. It does look like the rooster tail came down a bit as well. It was nice to just take a few passes through the course with the boat. Smooth running on a cool evening.

Willski
10-26-2007, 01:10 PM
It seems like you have a lot of free time....

BrianM
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
It seems like you have a lot of free time....
Sort of. No kids and I am a real estate broker so I am flexible and most of my free time I can do what I wish. I have been putting all of my free time into this boat over the last month. In case you haven't heard the real estate market has been a little slow :rolleyes: so I have had a little more free time lately. Also waterskiing and boats are my major hobbies (no golf) and I am begining to come down from my 4 day a week (two evenings and both weekend days) habit of being at the lake. I haven't been skiing that much lately but I continue to go to the lake to putz around the boats anyway.

A big plus is I also have a very understanding wife :love:

André
10-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Wow! Don't know how it happenned but totally miss this thread...
Congrats on the hard work results Brian!Looks awsome and will make someone a real affordable ski machine!

Not much of those older boats around here.Would sell quickly around my lake...

Good work!
Are you done skiing this year?

BrianM
10-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Are you done skiing this year?

Never done skiing around here. Got out this afternoon. Water was in the low 60s so I had to use the dry suit for the first time this year (I'm a BIG cold wuss). Air was about 70.

BrianM
10-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Got the trailer bunks finished up this morning. Replaced one bunk board that was a little soft and recovered with fresh carpet.

BrianM
10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
One of the freshly done teak on the boat.

BrianM
10-27-2007, 05:29 PM
I kind of like this shot of the back of the boat on the water.

BrianM
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Interior cleaned up really nice. Rawley vision folded down.

BrianM
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
And the rest of the interior. First time I have had the backseat in the boat on the water.

BrianM
10-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Someone needs to come get this boat from me.
She is ready to ski.

BrianM
10-28-2007, 07:09 PM
A couple of photos of the books and things I have to go with the boat. Original MC and PCM owners manuals and a few pieces of promotional material. The one in the upper left is a reprint of something from Powerboat Magazine.

BrianM
10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
A picture of the inside pages of the Powerboat article. Has a little info on Rob Shirley.

BrianM
10-28-2007, 07:19 PM
And the back page with performance data. Sorry about the poor quality.

BrianM
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
A couple of pictures from yesterday.

BrianM
10-29-2007, 05:06 PM
And one more.

This will probably be the last of them since it sounds like I have made a deal to sell the boat. Buyer is supposed to be making the trip down to pick her up Saturday.

sethro
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Sure is a beautiful boat Brian...I'm sure it will make someone a great boat. ;)

KnoxX2
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Brian where will the bote be heading?

BrianM
10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Brian where will the bote be heading?
About 15 hours north of me.

KnoxX2
10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Hate to see that boat go. Hope it will go to someone on here.

bcampbe7
10-30-2007, 12:24 PM
That boat is gorgeous Brian! You did a good thing buy cleaning her up and getting her running again. Kudos to you! :cool: :cool:

BrianM
10-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Hate to see that boat go. Hope it will go to someone on here.

I kind of hate to see it go too. If it were about 18 months later I would have been very tempted to keep it. But as of right now I do not have a good place for storage and really do not have a need for a second boat. The boat really did turn out even nicer than I expected.

The buyer is someone that is at least ocasionally on the site. More of a lurker than a poster. It sounds like the boat is going to be in good hands.

BrianM
11-03-2007, 03:07 PM
SOLD!
The '85 is making the long 14 hour trip back to Illinois this morning. Thanks to Sethro who is going to give it a nice (but cold) home. Great guy who made a long distance transaction very smooth.

cbryan70
11-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Where at in illinois?

BrianM
11-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Where at in illinois?

Northern part. I'll let him chime in with an exact location if he wants.

André
11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
SOLD!
The '85 is making the long 14 hour trip back to Illinois this morning. Thanks to Sethro who is going to give it a nice (but cold) home. Great guy who made a long distance transaction very smooth.

Enough profits for an update to Stargazer?;)
Congrats to Sethro!!!

Lennyp04
11-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Congrats on the Sell and Congrats to Sethro for buying an amazing boat!!

sethro
11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Good grief, what a drive. My friend Martin and I Left Rock Falls, IL at 4PM on Friday and returned just after 2AM Today...at least we got to turn back the clock as soon as we arrived. :) Got to Brian's shortly after 6AM and were back on the road around 11AM after skiing a bit at Brian's lake.

The boat was beautiful just as advertised. I am so grateful we had no mechanical difficulties on the trip down or towing the boat on the trip back. The ugliness of the trailer certainly wore off as I realized how nice of a trailer it actually is...and if it can handle the "roller coaster" of a highway (I-55) from Hammond, LA to the Mississippi state line it will hold up to anything!!! That is quite possibly the worst stretch of interstate highway I've been on in terms of roadway condition.

Brian, it was great to meet you and your wife (and the dogs too :D ) and thanks for all of the kind hospitality offers, but we both wanted to get home and have a day to recover before heading back to work. Sorry for stinking up your lake with our horrendous attempts through the course. I think that's the last time I try to ski after being awake for 25 of the previous 26 hours!

I think I'll go take another nap. Thanks again Brian.

Seth

bcampbe7
11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Congrats on the purchase Sethro, but 1st things 1st. You have got to get rid of that hideous avatar! :D

Yes, I know you beat us (Iowa) this year. :o

sethro
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Trailer looks a little better now that the axle is in more of a correct spot...I could barely lift the tongue because of all the tongue weight before.

pq2
11-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Congrats Sethro, thats a great looking boat.

BrianM
11-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Trailer looks a little better now that the axle is in more of a correct spot...I could barely lift the tongue because of all the tongue weight before.

Hey that looks a lot better now. Looks like an industrial strength ski boat trailer now instead of a fishing boat trailer. Did you decide to leave the bunks in the upper position? What did the wife think?

sethro
11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I am going to leave the bunks in the upper position for now until I try all the different ramps I use. I'll drop them if the ramp at our private lake allows. My wife just kind of shakes her head, but I had to make a couple of promises (home improvement projects) to keep two boats through the winter...so when those are completed all will be good. :)

André
11-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Good job on the trailer!

Any more pics of your Lab?:)

SunCoast 83
11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Congrats Sethro, thats a sharp boat. Brian really did a great job on it!!

KnoxX2
11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Sethro..you have a great boat there. I hope you will keep us posted (like Brian did) on the progress of your 85 S&S. We heve watched her transform over the last few months. Congrats