PDA

View Full Version : Oil and filter change

thijs
09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Okay,
we are doing the winterization thing today. We are running 15w40 wieght oil in our 1994 Prostar 205 with the 285bhp Indmar.

Is there a difference between gasoline 15w40 and diesel 15w40? There was only 15w40 stamped with 'Diesel' on the front.

Secondly we are not able to make it to the MC dealer in Calgary (which is closed today anyways) to get a filter. What is the automotive equivalent? I can get the MC part number off the filter if anyone needs.

awsgman
09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I have a 96 prostar 205and use K&N "HP 2002", This is a cross ref. of Fram PH30.

thijs
09-30-2007, 01:57 PM
thanks awsg

WilliM1940
09-30-2007, 03:55 PM
If you have a flat follower cam in your engine you should use a diesel rated oil, there is a high pressure additive no longer supplied in gasoline automotive products ZDDP. Most people here I think are running diesel rated oils. Lots of stuff available on the web including this:

http://www.memphisbritishcars.org/newsletters/oil200702.htm

Tons of discussions here also about oil, do a search.

bigmac
09-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Okay,
we are doing the winterization thing today. We are running 15w40 wieght oil in our 1994 Prostar 205 with the 285bhp Indmar.

Is there a difference between gasoline 15w40 and diesel 15w40? There was only 15w40 stamped with 'Diesel' on the front.

Secondly we are not able to make it to the MC dealer in Calgary (which is closed today anyways) to get a filter. What is the automotive equivalent? I can get the MC part number off the filter if anyone needs.Assuming your engine calls for the Pennzoil PZ3, a better and readily-available choice would be a NAPA Gold 1069 or a Wix 51069. Fram oil filters aren't very highly thought of in automotive circles and the PZ3 is made by Fram.

Oil 15W40 with API CI-4/SL is indeed a diesel-recommended oil. If it meets those specs, you'll be good to go.

NeilM
09-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Your local Automotive Village in Calgary can help you out. They have Pennzoil 15w-40 by the case and can cross-reference your filter easily.

thijs
10-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Sweet, thanks all. i tried to search, but the sight kept excluding the word oil b/c it was turning out oo many results.

Jesus_Freak
10-01-2007, 05:48 AM
...Is there a difference between gasoline 15w40 and diesel 15w40? There was only 15w40 stamped with 'Diesel' on the front...

I had the same problem at my local parts store. Thanks for the thread.

TRBenj
10-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Assuming your engine calls for the Pennzoil PZ3, a better and readily-available choice would be a NAPA Gold 1069 or a Wix 51069. Fram oil filters aren't very highly thought of in automotive circles and the PZ3 is made by Fram.

Oil 15W40 with API CI-4/SL is indeed a diesel-recommended oil. If it meets those specs, you'll be good to go.
I dont believe thats the correct filter for a Ford. Youll want a NAPA 1515 or Wix 51515. The Motorcraft FL1A is also very good.

Many oils that formerly had the ZDDP additives are starting to remove them. Most recently, Shell Rotella is among them. Im switching over to Valvoline Racing VR1 oil, as it still has the zinc. The Ford 351w is a flat tappet motor.

TMCNo1
10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I dont believe thats the correct filter for a Ford. Youll want a NAPA 1515 or Wix 51515. The Motorcraft FL1A is also very good.

Many oils that formerly had the ZDDP additives are starting to remove them. Most recently, Shell Rotella is among them. Im switching over to Valvoline Racing VR1 oil, as it still has the zinc. The Ford 351w is a flat tappet motor.

I've been running Valvoline VR-1, 40 weight. Racing Oil, Part # 229, in my boat engines since 1978, 18 years of that in the '89 351W PS190.

krakolos
10-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi, I work for Shell at Montreal East Refinery and tried to get Pennzoil "15W40" Marine here in Montreal. By the way Shell bought Pennzoil a while back and I was told that this oil specified by Indmar is no longer available in Canada (it was before). But it is available in the United States.

I managed to get Pennzoil Oil filters (PZ3) tough from a Pennzoil quick lube center at $3.50 a piece.

I have been using Castrol Syntec Diesel 15W40 with the API : CG-4 & SJ approvals these are the ones Indwar says you have to meet if Pennzoil is not available.

Do not save $ on oil, our marine engines are working against the water as opposed to a car or truck that have inertia once on there way. I was told that my engine works the equivalent of maybe 10 times what is expected of a car engine.

By the way the oil I am buying is sold at Wal-Mart by the gallon.

""Happy waves to you until we meet again""

Regards

TRBenj
10-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi, I work for Shell at Montreal East Refinery and tried to get Pennzoil "15W40" Marine here in Montreal. By the way Shell bought Pennzoil a while back and I was told that this oil specified by Indmar is no longer available in Canada (it was before). But it is available in the United States.

I managed to get Pennzoil Oil filters (PZ3) tough from a Pennzoil quick lube center at $3.50 a piece.

I have been using Castrol Syntec Diesel 15W40 with the API : CG-4 & SJ approvals these are the ones Indwar says you have to meet if Pennzoil is not available.

Do not save $ on oil, our marine engines are working against the water as opposed to a car or truck that have inertia once on there way. I was told that my engine works the equivalent of maybe 10 times what is expected of a car engine.

By the way the oil I am buying is sold at Wal-Mart by the gallon.

""Happy waves to you until we meet again""

Regards
Im assuming you have a newer boat with a Chevy motor? Not all that is applicable to the older Ford powered boats.

thijs
10-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah we have the 350cid SB chevy.

thijs
10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Okay, so we waited to get oil from our local dealer and this is what I got: This is what they use when they do the oil changes.

Interestingly there is no mention of the weight of the oil, i am sure it is 15w40 though as MC only instals heavy duty engines. Anyone know who manufactures these products? I have a hard time believe they are not simply just rebadged/stamped with MC logos with permission from a more common producer?