PDA

View Full Version : Some tidying up ?s

swatguy
09-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Well i am going to be tidying up my 2000 X-Star a bit this fall..... was looking for some advice.

My carpet in the engine area is coming unglued and kind of peeling away. I put some 3M spray adhesive on there and it worked for about a month. Anybody got some ideas on what to use to keep that up there. Also got some heavy grese staains back there from mechanics working in the area over the years. Anbody got an idea of how to rid that? Tried powerwashing, but didn't seem to budge. Also tried the Starbrite carpet cleaner as well.

Also do you think it would be wise to get a set of decals now or do you think I will be able to get a set of the original X-Satr decals when needed down the road? We are pretty anal so don't forsee a need for a new set as my wiofe drives like a pro(I AM BLESSED), but my kids will be getting older. Anbody got an idea of the cost for a set?

Jerseydave
09-30-2007, 04:58 PM
On the grease stains, if all else fails try Brake Cleaner from the auto parts store. Don't get it on any plastic or upholstery or the threads. Suck it up right away with a shop vac.

erkoehler
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Well i am going to be tidying up my 2000 X-Star a bit this fall..... was looking for some advice.

My carpet in the engine area is coming unglued and kind of peeling away. I put some 3M spray adhesive on there and it worked for about a month. Anybody got some ideas on what to use to keep that up there. Also got some heavy grese staains back there from mechanics working in the area over the years. Anbody got an idea of how to rid that? Tried powerwashing, but didn't seem to budge. Also tried the Starbrite carpet cleaner as well.

Also do you think it would be wise to get a set of decals now or do you think I will be able to get a set of the original X-Satr decals when needed down the road? We are pretty anal so don't forsee a need for a new set as my wiofe drives like a pro(I AM BLESSED), but my kids will be getting older. Anbody got an idea of the cost for a set?

Don't buy the decals, it isn't worth it with the people you know;) Someone is bound to talk you into upgrading eventually :)

swatguy
09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Eventually :) I am already tight on space so when they get older we will go bigger :)

Also one thing I forgot to put in here. To all you all who have plumbed in the integrated bow sac how does it empty? Just curious as I may attempt to plumb one in this winter if I find the time and Santa is good to me. Would think only one side of the bag would empty....Could be way off but being the horse shoe shape and not knowing anyone who has run one automated I would think the side without the pump would have some water left as the bow is usually pointed up which in turn would make the water flow back.

beatle78
09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Eventually :) I am already tight on space so when they get older we will go bigger :)

Also one thing I forgot to put in here. To all you all who have plumbed in the integrated bow sac how does it empty? Just curious as I may attempt to plumb one in this winter if I find the time and Santa is good to me. Would think only one side of the bag would empty....Could be way off but being the horse shoe shape and not knowing anyone who has run one automated I would think the side without the pump would have some water left as the bow is usually pointed up which in turn would make the water flow back.

Good question. I was thinking about putting 2 drain pumps, one on each side of the 'V' and 1 fill pump at the top....

How does everyone else do it?

swatguy
09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I have been doing some research and the way I have only seen it done seems to be the vent hose comes from the center of the bag. The 2 side vents are then run to a Y connector and then tied into one single reversible pump. Seems simple enough.

Some have spliced into the vent line of the Center bag so not to drill a hole and just put a check valve there to the overflow from the bow bag doesn't go back into the center.

Also saw a setup of a guy who tied his bow bag into his factory system with 0 pumps. Didn't say how it worked though. What he did was take the vent line from the center bag and run it to a Y connector intro those two ports out of the rear of the bow sac. And ran one vent line out of the bow sac center. Said due to the fact that the center bag is lower When you drain the center bag the water from the bow bag will just siphon into the center bag and empty out the center bag pump. Seems simple and logical.......though fill time would be a little on the long side I would imagine.....but again there were no follow up comments on how it worked. Seems like it would.

beatle78
10-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I have been doing some research and the way I have only seen it done seems to be the vent hose comes from the center of the bag. The 2 side vents are then run to a Y connector and then tied into one single reversible pump. Seems simple enough.

Some have spliced into the vent line of the Center bag so not to drill a hole and just put a check valve there to the overflow from the bow bag doesn't go back into the center.

Also saw a setup of a guy who tied his bow bag into his factory system with 0 pumps. Didn't say how it worked though. What he did was take the vent line from the center bag and run it to a Y connector intro those two ports out of the rear of the bow sac. And ran one vent line out of the bow sac center. Said due to the fact that the center bag is lower When you drain the center bag the water from the bow bag will just siphon into the center bag and empty out the center bag pump. Seems simple and logical.......though fill time would be a little on the long side I would imagine.....but again there were no follow up comments on how it worked. Seems like it would.

hmmm.... I forgot about the vent line. I am probably going to use the Tsunami pump method that etakk7 used here.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16832&highlight=205v+baLLAST

I wonder how he plumbed in the bow sac??

etakk7,

Care to chime in here? :)

Thanks,
beatle78

Rich_G
10-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Regarding the Grease Stains - last year I had an upholstery guy do some repairs on my vinyl, and he also got some stains out of the carpet. He used this spray product called "Greased Lightning"; available at WalMart as well as other retail.

This guy makes his living detailing used cars for dealerships, and said he has tried everything, and this is the best he has found. I bought some and have taken out stains in my wife's car as well.

I am halfway thinking about taking out the carpet in my 205V engine compartment and putting in a spray in truck bed-liner. There is nothing in there except ballast bags, and it stays wet a good part of the time.

Anybody else tried this?

swatguy
10-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Rich

I acually have some of that stuff on hand as well as gresed lightning. Just thgought it would kill the carpet. Will give it a go I mean who's ganna see it but me :) Crossed my mind for sure as mostly the stuff back there is wet. Only thing preventing me is that when my board goes back there that truck lining stuff isn't so soft from my recollection. Also there are a ton of screw ends that stick out that could catch a vest or even a bag whne you are removing them.

Thanks Beatle

etakk7
10-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Rich, interesting idea. When I get new bags for the back, I'll have to see how watertight it can be back there.

The IBS has five "ports." I have an Attwood 750 (3/4 inch thread) threaded into each of the legs to drain. I fill on the starboard side only, in the upper hole of the "leg." I use the top front hole for venting. The system worked perfectly for me. One drain pump went out on me at the end of the year and all but about 1/2 gallon drained out on it's own.

76S&S
10-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Something that I've used on grease before is hand cleaner, it cleaned it right up in my situation.

TMCNo1
10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Mineral Spirits paint thinner!