PDA

View Full Version : Dry Storage on Lake Norman (NC) - Recommendations?

93ProStar205
09-30-2007, 10:38 AM
OK, so I have finally come to the realization that with two kids under 4, getting out on the lake can be a bit of a challenge. I currently store my PS 205 in the garage, but am considering dry "rack" storage to minimize my prep time for getting on the water. Does anyone in the Lake Norman area dry store a MC and have recommendations for decent pricing AND a nice/careful facility on the south end of the lake? Having some anxiety about misaligned underwater gear due to negligent loading/unloading. . . .

Thanks,
Shaun

pagelk
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
OK, so I have finally come to the realization that with two kids under 4, getting out on the lake can be a bit of a challenge. I currently store my PS 205 in the garage, but am considering dry "rack" storage to minimize my prep time for getting on the water. Does anyone in the Lake Norman area dry store a MC and have recommendations for decent pricing AND a nice/careful facility on the south end of the lake? Having some anxiety about misaligned underwater gear due to negligent loading/unloading. . . .

Thanks,
Shaun

It really matters what side of the Lake you live on. I live on the southeast side in Cornelius and there are a few places that are around...some are even available (where ususally everything is booked up). When I was looking for storage it was more based on location than anything else. There are places where most people want to keep their boats due to access to restaurants, bars, the sandbar, etc... but I wanted a place with a smaller cove with not much boat traffic so I didn't have to drive 10 minutes to find decent water. Crown Harbor Dry Storage is great (it's right off exit 28 on I77...you can see it from I77). Mark is the guy who runs it...he's a really great guy. I used to keep my Regal there before I traded for a MC. Also, King's Point is another dry dock that is good, so is Holiday Marina.

All three cost around the same... they're between $2000-2300 for 12 months for a 20-22' boat. Prices increase based on length.

I just got my MC the other day and still haven't taken delivery, but I plan on keeping it at Crown Harbor.

JohnE
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I just got my MC the other day and still haven't taken delivery, but I plan on keeping it at Crown Harbor.

Sorry for the threadjack, but how 'bout some pics? And welcome to the forum. My sister in law's sister lives on Norman FWIW.

Harry Reynolds
09-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I bought my X-2 last fall and have kept it at King's Point in Cornelius. The guys there are great! My only complaint about the whole set-up is folding down the tower. I've got it down to under 5 mins, but it is still a pain.
Someone else at the Marina just bought a black X-1, but I have not gotten a chance to talk to them.
As in the response above, it all depends on where you want to boat on the Lake. If you think you want to go north of the 150 bridge more than about twice a year, I would consider somewhere a bit farther north, because it is really far at $4.69 a gallon.

pagelk
10-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry for the delay, been out as much as I could (until this week...) here are the pics

http://www.pscmalibu.com/SiteBoatPics/side%202.jpg

http://www.pscmalibu.com/SiteBoatPics/back8.jpg

http://www.pscmalibu.com/SiteBoatPics/interior9.jpg

pagelk
10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I would consider somewhere a bit farther north, because it is really far at $4.69 a gallon.

That's if there even is gas on the lake. I'm not going to lie...second weekend out, I ran out of gas in the no wake zone near the dock (luckily it was sunset so we got to enjoy it until a friend towed me the 100 ft in).

For some reason, the gas gauge will stay on F (I'm guessing the level indicator is on the back side of the gas tank), but damn, it goes down quick once it gets off F. I've been bringing gas cans on the boat 4 at a time every weekend (gives me 20 gallons/half a tank). I now just need some friends that can actually afford to help me out. I hate being the guy with the toys and the money!---HELL, I even bring the girls... i need some new friends!