PDA

View Full Version : Enough is enough!!

Sodar
09-30-2007, 01:51 AM
So, how many companies are copying the MC "Super-fly Bow"??? Now, we can add Four Winns to the list!!

sand2snow22
09-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Didn't MC copy Cobalt first?

dmayer84
09-30-2007, 02:17 AM
WHO?.....................

cdstukey
09-30-2007, 02:58 AM
for as calm as that is, it doesn't look like there is much boat in the water, probably just the camera angle

sand2snow22
09-30-2007, 03:46 AM
WHO?.....................

This is dated 2003, same year as the first pickle X-Star. I don't think MC invented the pickle, but they sure have done a good job with it :D

http://www.boatinglife.com/article_content.jsp?ID=9217

Lennyp04
09-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree...enough is enough, come up with your own ideas

ProTour X9
09-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Is it just me or does that really look like a 280?

TMCNo1
09-30-2007, 09:19 AM
for as calm as that is, it doesn't look like there is much boat in the water, probably just the camera angle

Probably the typical I/O porposing at speed while the lower unit is trimmed out!

JimN
09-30-2007, 09:20 AM
OK, then who had the step in the hull before MC? That's not new, either.

As far as the amount of hull in the water, it is a stern-drive and they probably tilted it too high to be able to see but from that angle, it "looked really cool!".

TMCNo1
09-30-2007, 09:25 AM
OK, then who had the step in the hull before MC? That's not new, either.

As far as the amount of hull in the water, it is a stern-drive and they probably tilted it too high to be able to see but from that angle, it "looked really cool!".

Several manufacturers, including Dixie Boat Co., Newton, NC, who came out with a open bow inboard in 1982 and it had a step in the hull. Our 1986 Super Skier 299, 350 PCM, had it in the hull.

JimN
09-30-2007, 09:34 AM
It was actually more of a rhetorical question, but it kind of proves the point that there's not much really new stuff out there. Did you know that the Step Hull, patented by Regal, was inspired by sea planes? Look at the pontoons on one of those and when you consider that the step keeps a plane from flipping over when landing and makes take-offs easier, it only makes sense to put it on a boat hull, to improve acceleration and reduce fuel use while under way.

Lennyp04
09-30-2007, 09:59 AM
My mom said this comment the other day and I really liked it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Jim@BAWS
09-30-2007, 10:18 AM

How amny times have we said this NO NO NO MC did not copy Cobalt

Jim@BAWS

oldriver
09-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I think the pic was taken in the ocean and they are just shooting off a roller........my2cents

JimN
09-30-2007, 10:39 AM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

But if someone doesn't do their research, it's patent infringement or plagiarism.

michael freeman
09-30-2007, 10:50 AM
So, how many companies are copying the MC "Super-fly Bow"??? Now, we can add Four Winns to the list!!

If you look closely at the front of the boat it is not a pickle fork. It is flat across the front. It is a glorified deck boat.

The reason is looks cool is because the water is very clear that gives the illusion that the boat is floating as well as having a hull that goes all the way to the back of the deck, (i.e., it is part of the lifting surface.)

As far as who copied who, who cares? Enjoy your boat. I personally like my X-30 (normal ... and now unique boat hull), but if you look at the non-MC boats, they look a little off to me. Like the one in this ad, it looks like a big deck boat to me.

Jerseydave
09-30-2007, 10:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Paul Fiore of Global marine invented the stepped hull in 1994. (He owns Outerlimits) Since then many boat companies have used that hull to gain more top speed, and from what I recall that hull is only beneficial above 50-60 mph. Not sure what the advantages would be for a ski-wakeboard boat, maybe someone can enlighten me on that.

As for the large "superfly" bow, wouldn't that be similar to the old runabouts from the 60's and 70's called "tri-hulls"? Only difference is the MC rides on just the center keel, where "tri-hulls" had three keels forward which would contact the water surface, especially in turns. Those boats provided more interior room, but the ride was harsh in rough water. (My dad's friend had an old "Winner" tri-hull from the 70's).

michael freeman
09-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I guess we shouldn't even talk about who sued and won the lawsuit for putting towers on their boat. ;)

This is the MC board not the sour grapes board. I don't see any innocent victims of cloning in any of the boat manufactures. I do believe that MC is the leader and does a lot for making our boats better by bringing new innovations to the water. Lets get back to being happy we all own MC boats and talk about the fun we have enjoying them. ... oh and the people up north can discuss winterizing their boats. :)

Lennyp04
09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

But if someone doesn't do their research, it's patent infringement or plagiarism.

Very good point.

michael freeman
09-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Very good point.

Since we seem to continue to have selective memory, would someone tell me who was the first boat company to place a tower on their boat?

I love MC, but you guys would rather wine about FourWinns new deck boat then go enjoy your own boat and it is freaking embarrassing.

"Enough is Enough" Let MC deal with the legal maters. If they did steal a design element from MC, then MC will soon have a lot more money to do some even cooler ideas.

Lennyp04
09-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Michael, another very good point

WilliM1940
09-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Winner Boats, very cool tri-hulls. My father had a 1969. On these boats the outer sponsons did not ride in the water, only the center deep V, and they had fiberglass stringers. But in a pretty good swell greater headway could be made because the extra floatation would keep the open bow above the water level. Tons of room with the square bow, very practical, but ultimately homely in comparison to its standard hull comtemporaries. Everything seems to go in 20 year cycles...

TMCNo1
09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
The pickle fork design is nothing more that a interpetition of the 'late '60's, 70's, '80's tunnel hull, runner bottom bow design of the Drag and SK circle racing boats and on the Catamaran Offshore boats, not much difference other than the size of the fins, direction or placement and single VS double headlights on the mid/late '50's automobiles. Every manufacturer had a version of the rear quarterpanel tail fins and or double headlights, Chevrolet, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth and American Motors and it was no different than the picklefork fad.

JimN
09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
I want to see a Supra with fins from a '59 Caddy. Now THAT would be cool!

TMCNo1
09-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I want to see a Supra with fins from a '59 Caddy. Now THAT would be cool!

You know UMP has a pic of his Batmobile boat with fins and a bunch of boats did have them too, back in the day!:cool: