PDA

View Full Version : My dog has 9 lives


Roonie's
09-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I have two chocolate labs one 6 year old female and one 12 year old male. The 12 year old has nine lives. He is fit and can still outrun our other dog to a ball anyday.

Before all this started he is a cancer survivor. At age 8 he had confirmed cancer growths that were surgically removed and he has since been cancer free (now age 12).

It started two years ago.

He had sudden cardiac death right in front of me. He collapsed and completely stopped breathing for a minute. I gave him mouth to muzzle CPR and it revived him (no joke). Brought him to vet who then directed us towards a dog cardiologists (never knew they existed) and it seems he has a heart condition. He is now on heart meds as he has a very irregular heart beat and the meds keep that in check. Over the two years he has had three episodes again where his heart has stopped. No more CPR (as we agreed to have a DNR since he is an older dog and had a good life) but he has recovered on his own everytime.

This year he decides to eat the styrofoam bean bag filling (a bunch of small balls the size of BB's). He ate so much his stomach was full. We induced vomiting. He was in such bad shape after a day of this he couldn't even lift his head on his own. I nursed him back to health giving him small spoon fulls of chicken soup until he had his strength back. He recovered in a day

I was backing the boat up to park in the driveway and he decides to lay down in front of the car (he knows better at age 12). I pull forward not knowing he was there, and run over his head with the front tire of my suburban. He is bleeding out of his eyes, nose, ears, and mouth badly. I bring him to vet to let him die in peace and without pain. I let the kids say their final goodbye's to Tucker, and turns out it is all superficial and he recovers in a day. His skull is permanently mishapen now however but no other problems from this incident.

My wife cooks two homemade batches of brownies. We go on an errand and he decides to eat them all. Chocolate is poison to dogs. I induce vomiting by giving him hydrogen peroxide all day. He vomits almost all of it (at least 5 pounds worth or more) and recovers in a day.

I think the dog is trying to kill himself even though he is invincible at this point. He is still in great conditioning and runs faster then any other dog even with his heart condition. He now tires faster then before but give him a little rest and he is back running with his sister. He can go up and down stairs no problem still and is basically the same dog as when he was younger except the meds. Just thought I would share.

Roonie's
09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Here is a recent pic of our dog. Resting after playing ball before having head run over.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/tiredtuck.jpg

Picture after having head run over.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/tuckerhead.jpg

billr
09-29-2007, 02:32 PM
We have a 9 year old choc. lab, and I don't look foward to his demise. Have you read the book "Marley and me" ? Great book for anyone that has a dog, especially a lab. Bill

sunsational
09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Animal Blessings is another great book.

JimN
09-29-2007, 04:00 PM
When he wakes up, do you hear 'I Got You, Babe', by Sonny and Cher?

ProTour X9
09-29-2007, 04:16 PM
WOW!!!!!!! Thats all I can say.

milkmania
09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
my hat is off to you, incredible stories and I commend you for taking care of Tucker through all of them.

:)

Roonie's
09-29-2007, 05:58 PM
The dog is supposed to be saving my life not the other way around. He is a good dog and one of the sweetest dogs you will ever come across. The kids still like to ride him and basically he has been a speed bump since they were babies and he has never minded. He has been in a great mood even during his worst times. Right after I ran over his head and blood everywhere and I was examining him, he was licking my hands and face. He will probably be with us another 4-5 years but either way we are resigned to his fate.

AirJunky
09-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Unreal.

Kodiak was my a malamute / lab mix that lived to be over 16 yrs old. I had him from the time he was 5 weeks & he was always a good runner & serious swimmer till the last few weeks of his life. Sure he'd get tired early, hips would start to shut down as the water got colder, but he never knew it. Kept right on goin, no matter what. He took a turn & we knew it wasn't going to be long. It was still the hardest thing I think I've ever done. No matter how long you have to say goodbye, it still hurt to see my buddy go. R.I.P.

Leroy
09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Great story Roonie! Love the labs, we have a black one, Cocoa that is 4 years old, they are tough dogs!