PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Radio from scratch

jayderwin1
03-08-2005, 02:01 PM
has any one wired a radio straight from the battery? i have a 86 and it did not come with a radio so i got one and cut some holes and got a mounting kit but now i need to figure out how to wire it straight from the battery.

Ric
03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
has any one wired a radio straight from the battery? i have a 86 and it did not come with a radio so i got one and cut some holes and got a mounting kit but now i need to figure out how to wire it straight from the battery.

Sure, you need to be careful to have a fuse at the battery and a fuse near the deck (that's probably supplied in the deck's wiring harness).

the deck will probably have a trigger/power ant. wire and an ignition wire
if you have amps, you need them to be triggered so that they turn off when you turn off the radio (again, fuse all amps at the battery too)

the ignition wire needs to go to your key(if you want it on only when the key is on) or to a toggle, if you want to run the radio whenever you feel like running the radio.

hope this quick answer makes sense

BriEOD
03-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Easy day...

- Yellow straight to the Batt, probably has a fuse in line (memory, clock, etc)
- Red wire to the accesory switch on your dash, this way you can turn it off when you want to and not eat up the batt or you could wire it to the ignition switch so when you have the key on it comes on, you have options. I prefer the switch.
- Black is your ground, find where all your gauges are tied into a ground an tie in
- Blue is going to be for your amplifiers if you have any (it tells the amps that the head unit is on and to turn themselves on)
- You don't have a power antenna
- For the speakers if you have amps you'll wire from the amp if not use the schematic to decipher what wire to what speaker. The wires with the black lines are your negative and the solid color are positive

jayderwin1
03-09-2005, 09:46 AM
thanks for info