PDA

View Full Version : Who's diggin VDIG?

Eagle Lake Rebel
09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
A buddy of mine is debating between an '08 or '07 X-Star. My 2 cents on the debate was go for the '07 because of all the problems I've been told about the Vdig. Looking for '08 owners that have had good luck with Vdig to help balance out all the negative PR I keep running across. Thanks for any feedback.

kev88
09-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Purchased an 08 X-2 about 3 weeks ago. Really like the Vdig - no problems yet.......

erkoehler
09-28-2007, 01:04 AM
The solution to VDIG issues will be announced in the near future........

sand2snow22
09-28-2007, 01:27 AM
You da man, Erk!

MYMC
09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
The solution to VDIG issues will be announced in the near future........
Already out, and available...covered at the dealer meeting.

Jim@BAWS
09-28-2007, 10:03 AM
There was a dealer meeting...no one told me WHEN???

Jim@BAWS

MYMC
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Jim@BAWS
You didnt miss much...there were boats, and more boats oh and new boats.

Eagle Lake Rebel
09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok I'll bite, what's the fix for the problem(s)?

erkoehler
09-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Already out, and available...covered at the dealer meeting.

Didn't know if they had released it to the public.......trying to stay out of trouble :)

Sodar
09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

Jim@BAWS

Are these dealer meetings a mandatory thing?Does someone from every dealer go? Just curious....

endl
09-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Seems like it would be a good idea huh!

RK@UST
09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Todd, have you seen the 08 X45 in Conway ?
Very nice.
Sorry for the jack.

east tx skier
09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Didn't know if they had released it to the public.......trying to stay out of trouble :)

Does it require a hammer? 8p

Doug G
09-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Does it require a hammer? 8p

Nope, just a gauge with a needle on it, a screwdriver, some alligator clips and electical tape . ;)

TheOneandOnly
09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I hope they get it fixed before we get ours...

ProTour X9
09-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I betcha they'll just have MacGyver go to every dealer to fix the problems.

TheOneandOnly
09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
What was happening with them ??

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Let's see, it locks up which requires powering down the boat to let the system reboot, selector button failures, & screen etching. Other than that it's perfect. I wonder what's in store when the '08 summer gets here and VDIG is given the endless 100 degree heat test. One thing for sure MC will stand behind it and will make it right.

rick s.
10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
what all is vdig supposed to do?

MYMC
10-02-2007, 05:20 PM
what all is vdig supposed to do?
Everything and then some...at this point I would say we are lacking in the "everything" catagory and the jury is still out on the "and then some".:mad:

MYMC
10-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Let's see, it locks up which requires powering down the boat to let the system reboot, selector button failures, & screen etching. Other than that it's perfect. I wonder what's in store when the '08 summer gets here and VDIG is given the endless 100 degree heat test. One thing for sure MC will stand behind it and will make it right.
Yes we will, but wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to?

Three words... Medallion Instrumentation Systems

rick s.
10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Everything and then some...at this point I would say we are lacking in the "everything" catagory and the jury is still out on the "and then some".:mad:

Before I asked my original question on the forum I went to the MC site to find out more about vdig. Couldn't find much other than a picture.

So my question was actually a serious regarding what all is vdig supposed to do.

OhioX14
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Before I asked my original question on the forum I went to the MC site to find out more about vdig. Couldn't find much other than a picture.

So my question was actually a serious regarding what all is vdig supposed to do.

I would suggest downloading the 2008 Owner's Manual which can be found here (yes, it's a large download - checkout the section entitled "Instruments and Gauges" ):

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Manual

You can also download the User's Guide for the included PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro here (grab the "2008 Mastercraft" manual):

http://www.perfectpass.com/pp_support_usersmanual.html

These two documents should give you a good understanding of what it looks like, what it's supposed to do, and how it's supposed to work.

As others have said it was not without bugs when it first rolled out and I too am on my third VDIG. However, I truly believe they've worked out most, if not all, of the kinks and I'm really not all that concerned because Mastercraft is backing it, and in my case, my dealer has been phenomenal as well.

Check out the two docs. Hope that helps.

Mark Crockett
10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I am on my third VDIG as well. Dealer called today to schedule a time to come to my house and perform a 30 minute software upgrade on my current VDIG. They are coming out tomorrow afternoon to perform the upgrade. Hopefully this is the final fix.

TheOneandOnly
10-03-2007, 08:54 PM
How many times have they had to upgrade the software

OhioX14
10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
I am on my third VDIG as well. Dealer called today to schedule a time to come to my house and perform a 30 minute software upgrade on my current VDIG. They are coming out tomorrow afternoon to perform the upgrade. Hopefully this is the final fix.

Mark,

Could you tell me when you received your third VDIG? I'm curious if I'm already due for a software upgrade? Perhaps this is the fix Eric was referring to?

Thanks!

X-Aggie
10-04-2007, 03:38 AM
I've never seen so many people be so critical about a piece of equipment that both the manufacture and the issuing body is willing to fix no questions asked. It took 22 years to see a prototype of the B-2 bomber, and I imagine less complaints... Granted your X-Series is not going on a mission to bomb Jalalabad, but give the development cycle a little slack here. It WILL work, and WILL have some attractive (interesting) features in the years to come.

03 35th Anniversary
10-04-2007, 05:13 AM
I've never seen so many people be so critical about a piece of equipment that both the manufacture and the issuing body is willing to fix no questions asked. It took 22 years to see a prototype of the B-2 bomber, and I imagine less complaints... Granted your X-Series is not going on a mission to bomb Jalalabad, but give the development cycle a little slack here. It WILL work, and WILL have some attractive (interesting) features in the years to come.

Well when somebody spends $60,000 - $90,000 or even more on a boat. Its hard not to be alittle GRUMPY when you loose a day or two on the water with family and friends, thats if the dealer can get it in and out in a week. After spending that much money on a top of the line boat what other reaction would you expect out of somebody?

Its great that MasterCraft is backing it a 100% like they do everything else. But that doesn't replace time missed on the water with a brand new boat that is in the shop.

MYMC
10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
And how many of those failed when delivered as "production ready"? As a dealer is it a money loser to do three (or more) warranty repairs on each 2008, not to mention who pays the lake call when the customer doesn’t own a trailer...lake calls are not parts of the warranty. We are not paid actual time, we are paid warranty time and there is no profit on parts...so instead of working on a boat where I can make money I'm servicing a part that should not be having the issues that it does.

Critical? Which do I service...the guy with the new boat that is broken or the service customer that is trying to maintain his boat? Further it gives competitors something to call a weak point...yep I'm critical I feel I have EVERY right to be.

MYMC
10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Mark,

Could you tell me when you received your third VDIG? I'm curious if I'm already due for a software upgrade? Perhaps this is the fix Eric was referring to?

Thanks!
Revision "G" is up on dealer link now...yes "G".

TheOneandOnly
10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Has this been all software related?

Willytown
10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Yes I believe it is all software related. If you order your 08, I believe everything should be fixed by then.

MYMC
10-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Has this been all software related?
No...there was also selector button failures, & screen etching on the early build boats.

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Revision "G" is up on dealer link now...yes "G".

So when will we be ready for Preparation H?

/Ah Beta testing.

X-Aggie
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
03 I'll agree with you on the frustration of loosing valuable time on the water with family and such, but depending on model most of the Vdig's features are gauge redundant. Meaning you still have quite a few of the gauges critical to not getting in trouble, though I agree with your thoughts.

MYMC I'll agree as well that it may be a pain in the *** for dealers to throw good money after bad so to speak, but I can redily think of worse disasters by lesser company's. '01 (I believe) digital dash in Nautiques. Early MB wedge debacles ripping transoms up. '06 Sikers choice swinging board racks (Roswell). With the "relative" ease that you can pop these in and out I don't even think it's one of MC biggest miscalculations of the past few years.

In a nutshell, I'll say I really like the thing when it's working...:uglyhamme

MYMC
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Ah Beta testing.
Huh whats that?

To be honest I used to be a "master" at it...then I got married;)

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 11:52 AM
03 I'll agree with you on the frustration of loosing valuable time on the water with family and such, but depending on model most of the Vdig's features are gauge redundant. Meaning you still have quite a few of the gauges critical to not getting in trouble, though I agree with your thoughts.

MYMC I'll agree as well that it may be a pain in the *** for dealers to throw good money after bad so to speak, but I can redily think of worse disasters by lesser company's. '01 (I believe) digital dash in Nautiques. Early MB wedge debacles ripping transoms up. '06 Sikers choice swinging board racks (Roswell). With the "relative" ease that you can pop these in and out I don't even think it's one of MC biggest miscalculations of the past few years.

In a nutshell, I'll say I really like the thing when it's working...:uglyhamme

I believe those were the 2000 Nautiques with the short lived digital gauges replaced with analog under recall if I have my facts correct (which always begs the question of how many hours were on it before the gauge was replaced) ... but I digress.

What I'm curious about is how long was the VDiG tested before it was put in a production model and sold to consumers.

X-Aggie
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
(which always begs the question of how many hours were on it before the gauge was replaced)

Hahah Could you get a read on hours if the display was dead?:confused:

As for testing I'm sure it could have been more thorough. Though I'm also sure MC's engineers would balk at what some people do with their creations. Meaning some of the units I've seen haven't exactly been babied.

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Hahah Could you get a read on hours if the display was dead?:confused:

Nope, they were still using Fords. Great engines, but you can't hook up to the computer to figure out actual hours. The recall happened pretty fast though if I have my facts straight, so probably not a ton of hours. Something people had to consider nonetheless.

As for testing I'm sure it could have been more thorough. Though I'm also sure MC's engineers would balk at what some people do with their creations. Meaning some of the units I've seen haven't exactly been babied.

I thought it was mostly software stuff?

Examples? Difficulty: Can't say they just got wet. ;)

MYMC
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Ummm, MC engineers didn't design, refine or come up with this...that would be Medallion. Medallion should have done alpha, beta, preproduction and production testing in the environment in which the instrument would be used…whether they did or not I cannot say.

Don't know what you've seen, but I am speaking mostly to boats that are new just sitting on the lot...so far I could not and would not hold a customer responsible for issues with VDIG.

ski_king
10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Do all the 08's have the VDIG, or is it only on some models or is it a option?

MYMC
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Do all the 08's have the VDIG, or is it only on some models or is it a option?
Standard on all "X" boats except X1 and X7 (won't fit in dash).
Optional on MariStar and PS214.

TheOneandOnly
10-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Back to the origional question doesnt seem like anyone is diggin the Vdig

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Standard on all "X" boats except X1 and X7 (won't fit in dash).
Optional on MariStar and PS214.

And none on the 190/197 because skiers wouldn't know what the heck to do with it or would just leave it on the perfect pass display. :)

MYMC
10-04-2007, 02:59 PM
And none on the 190/197 because skiers wouldn't know what the heck to do with it or would just leave it on the perfect pass display. :)
True! (won't fit in the dash is the real reason);)

east tx skier
10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
With all the ballast indicators, it seems like a helpful tool for the Xboats to have a few fewer gauges total in the dash.

OhioX14
10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
With all the ballast indicators, it seems like a helpful tool for the Xboats to have a few fewer gauges total in the dash.

Actually, that's my only gripe with the VDIG design. With both PerfectPass and Ballast Gauges in the same display you need to toggle between screens to check each. Yes, there are some shortcuts to do this but separate gauges would make it easier. Beyond that, there's much to like about having all that information in one place.

Mark Crockett
10-04-2007, 08:56 PM
OhioX14,

The 3rd VDIG is about 3 weeks old and it was installed with version E. The dealer upgraded it to G today.

X-AGGIE,

This is my second Mastercraft in 5 years and it will NOT be my last so I am a loyal customer but I respectfully disagree with you on our VDIG frustrations. A 76K dollar boat should not behave this way. My VDIG crashed 15 minutes after I purchased the boat and has been consistently unstable through 3 versions. The depth finder and perfect pass do not have redundant gauges and I have had to shut off my battery and reboot the VDIG on the water more times than I can count in order to continue using the boat. No one would expect this type of issue from a 76K luxury sedan and I don't think anyone should have to expect it from a 76K boat. I do not believe Mastercraft thoroughly tested this product and to add to MYMC’s dealer perspective with a customer perspective, I feel I have the right to be critical as well!

TheOneandOnly
10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
From the customers perspective, I always seem to buy new unpreviously released options/redesigns on toys. Example:I purchased a new 04 yamaha r1 motorcycle, which had a whole redesign, it had a few minor kinks to work out but nothing that prevented opertation.

Being in the electronics industry we see this all the time, software bugs, hardware mishaps--get overlooked since they arent tested fully before release. Im a firm believer in purchasing a year after they have been out so the kinks are hopefully worked out. I have herd these complaints with all manufactures. If your looking to buy anything new that hasnt been in the realworld testing enviorment your kinda at your own risk (least theyre warranting it which they should). I agree there shouldnt be these types of problems with a 76k boat, then again I think there hugely overly priced... Another conversation though

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok, Should I start a new post with How deep a hole has Vdig dug? Hate to see a product with so much potential have such a poor start.
I'm sure MC would like to put a boot up Medallion's backside for this. How all these problems didn't get caught and corrected during testing is hard to understand. I'll stick with my old school dash in my '07 and enjoy my weekends on the lake with my new tower braces that did correct my only gripe. If my buddy buys an '08 he at least knows he's always welcome on my X30 while the Vdig gets sorted out.

kev88
10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
then again I think there hugely overly priced... Another conversation though

Still no problems with the VDIG on our X-2. Disagree about these boats being overpriced. We came out of a 2006 Sea Ray 21 ft runabout that retails for about 33k. With the fit/finish, quality of materials, workmanship, processes used in constuction, Indmar engine compared to our mercrusier I/O, I had no problem paying double what we paid for our Sea Ray.

TheOneandOnly
10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Oh they are cheap with your paycheck? 100k for an xstar? Must be nice...

TheOneandOnly
10-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Kev88 how long have you had yours?

kev88
10-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Kev88 how long have you had yours?

We've had it for a month. Did quite a bit of reseach before purchasing. Don't get me wrong the X-2 is an expensive toy. I've owned boats/watercraft for about 10 years and Sea Rays are known for their build quality as well (hand laid fiber glass, etc). MC is well worth the $$ in my opinion.

TheOneandOnly
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
I agree love the boats price is just a little scary... Nice to hear someone has had good luck, i'll be buying this month for early delivery of next spring-hope they have it all sorted out by then

kev88
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
i'll be buying this month for early delivery of next spring

Great - good luck!

OhioX14
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, Should I start a new post with How deep a hole has Vdig dug? Hate to see a product with so much potential have such a poor start.
I'm sure MC would like to put a boot up Medallion's backside for this. How all these problems didn't get caught and corrected during testing is hard to understand. I'll stick with my old school dash in my '07 and enjoy my weekends on the lake with my new tower braces that did correct my only gripe. If my buddy buys an '08 he at least knows he's always welcome on my X30 while the Vdig gets sorted out.

This is the funny thing with Mastercraft and the new toys they decide to put in their boats. We ordered our X14 in '07 after driving and skiing behind an '07 so we thought were getting the analog dash, we just didn't know whether the boat would be an '07 or an '08 and we certainly didn't know anything about VDIG. When we first heard we were getting an '08 we were happy as I too thought the second model year of a new boat would be a good thing. Then I hear we're getting this new gauge called a VDIG and that too is cool because we're getting PerfectPass instead of Mastercraft Cruise at no extra cost. Then comes the VDIG saga which we don't need to go through again.

The lesson learned with Mastercraft is when you're one of the first in a new model year run you really have no idea exactly what you're getting!