PDA

View Full Version : Any Doctors or bite experts, inside ASAP

DooSPX
09-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I got bit by a spider the other night on my hand... at first about 2 days ago, I thought it was a common mosquito bite, but today its dark red bump with a spreading red/pink swelling ring forming around it... now, my hand is kinda cramped up and when I make a fist, I can feel it pull the skin around the bite area...

any idea's?? :confused: :confused:

thanks

Chief
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM
EMERGENCY ROOM! I think they have what your looking for. Good Luck.

tex
09-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Go see a doc asap, It could be a brown recluse. A buddy had one and it can get ugly.

Bite Symptoms
The physical reaction to a brown recluse spider bite depends on the amount of venom injected and an individual's sensitivity to it. Some people are unaffected by a bite, whereas others experience immediate or delayed effects as the venom kills the tissues (necrosis) at the site of the bite. Many brown recluse bites cause just a little red mark that heals without event. The vast majority of brown recluse bites heal without severe scarring (http://spiders.ucr.edu/avoidbites.html).

Initially, the bite may feel like a pin***** or go unnoticed. Some may not be aware of the bite for 2 to 8 hours. Others feel a stinging sensation followed by intense pain. Infrequently, some victims experience general systemic reactions that may include restlessness, generalized itching, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, or shock. A small white blister usually initially rises at the bite site surrounded by a swollen area. The affected area enlarges and becomes red, and the tissue is hard to the touch for some time. The lesion from a brown recluse spider bite is a dry, blue-gray or blue-white, irregular sinking patch with ragged edges and surrounding redness--termed the "red, white, and blue sign." The lesion usually is 1½ inches by 2¾ inches or smaller. Characteristics of a bite are further discussed at http://www.amednews.com/free/hlsa0805.

The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain.

It is difficult for a physician to accurately diagnose a "brown recluse bite" based simply on wound characteristics. It is absolutely necessary to have the spider for a positive identification. Necrotic wounds can result from a variety of agents such as bacteria (Staphylococcus, "flesh-eating" Streptococcus, etc.), viruses, fungi, and arthropods (non-recluse spiders, centipedes, mites, ticks, wasps, bedbugs, kissing bugs, biting flies, etc.). Necrotic conditions also can be caused by vascular and lymphatic disorders, drug reactions, underlying diseases states, and a variety of other agents. An annotated list of conditions that could be mistaken for a brown recluse spider bite is available at http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/08/05/hlsa0805.htm. Misdiagnosis of lesions as brown recluse bites can delay appropriate care.

First Aid
If bitten, remain calm, and immediately seek medical attention (contact your physician, hospital and/or poison control center). Apply an ice pack directly to the bite area to relieve swelling and pain. Collect the spider (even a mangled specimen has diagnostic value), if possible, for positive identification by a spider expert. A plastic bag, small jar, or pill vial is useful and no preservative is necessary, but rubbing alcohol helps to preserve the spider.

An effective commercial antivenin is not available. The surgical removal of tissue was once standard procedure, but now this is thought to slow down wound healing. Some physicians administer high doses of cortisone-type hormones to combat hemolysis and other systemic complications. Treatment with oral dapsone (an antibiotic used mainly for leprosy) has been suggested to reduce the degree of tissue damage. However, an effective therapy has not yet been found in controlled studies.

I'm not a doctor but I plan on playing some doctor later tonight-Good luck!

123src
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I am a RN that used to work in the Emergency Room. Without looking at it, it is hard to tell what is going on, BUT, it is much better to waste money on a copay than loose your hand or worse.......

GO TO THE ER

mccobmd
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Almost any bite can become infected but the quicker you get seen the less potential for tissue necrosis, you don't have to go to the ER, most AM/PM clinic's can get you on proper antibiotics.

Leroy
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
DooSPX, you still there?

ttu
09-27-2007, 10:34 PM
go to a dr. my father got bit on the bottom of his upper arm by a brown recluse about 5 years ago and he lost a lot of tissue there.

he waited about 2 weeks till he went and got any med advice.

Willski
09-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I agree. Go to a Doc or ER!! Don't ask a bunch of boat owners!!!!! We'll just tell you that water, or gin or Cutty will cure all of your ills!

tommcat
09-27-2007, 10:55 PM
it always makes me laugh when someone will want the opinions of a bunch of people they dont know on a website before they'll go to a doctor.

i just cut my arm off, what do you guys think? should i just use some band aids or go to the doctor?

JimN
09-27-2007, 11:21 PM
All of that stuff is useless in the wild. Just stick the end of the stump into the fire to cauterize it. (I think I saw Yul Brynner do that in a movie, once)

Monte
09-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Leah on as Monte....

I'm also an RN (for a surgeon) and suggest that you see a doc.. I've seen many wounds that were originally thought to be "bug bites" but have ended up being MRSA. It's not just in the hospitals and nursing homes....A Doc can check it and tell you which antibiotics you should be on and possibly even culture the wound itself....get it checked out soon....I hate having to shave skin off of someone's arse to graft somewhere else....that gives me the creeps!!!!

TMCNo1
09-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Take 3 sets and call me in the morning!

Farmer Ted
09-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Leah on as Monte....

I'm also an RN (for a surgeon) and suggest that you see a doc.. I've seen many wounds that were originally thought to be "bug bites" but have ended up being MRSA. It's not just in the hospitals and nursing homes....A Doc can check it and tell you which antibiotics you should be on and possibly even culture the wound itself....get it checked out soon....I hate having to shave skin off of someone's arse to graft somewhere else....that gives me the creeps!!!!

MRSA??????????????

bigmac
09-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeh, see a doctor. The wound needs to be attended to, cleaned and dead tissue cut away. The possibility of the bite being from a brown recluse spider and the consequences of that makes it very important that the wound be addressed early to minimize the damage from the local toxins and to try to prevent secondary infection.

djhuff
09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Got something like this on my leg last year. I let it go for 3-4 days then it hurt to walk so I went to the doc. I got so many antibiotics (high dose good stuff) that I dont' think I could get sick for months. It slowly cleared up though. Shouldn't have to cut it out though, your body will replace teh dead tissue.

My doc said it wasn't a brown recluse (that's what I thought it was), If it was, I would have known it.

tones03
09-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Wheres dr brainey when you need him???:rolleyes:

kjohnson
09-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Was it a spider bite or what? R u still alive? Any necrosis? MRSA? By the way, MRSA will kill you. My mother died from it about 1 year ago. She contracted it in a nursing home. Without going into a lot of detail, some dumb arse nurse's aide was wiping her incorrectly, which caused her to devleop MRSA (a super virus). There isn't much publicity about MRSA. I don't think the hospitals and nursing homes want to talk about it, because of liability issues. F.....g lawyers have instructed them not to publicize it.

Leah
09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
MRSA is a staph infection that is resistant to typical antibiotic treatments. Most doctors can treat it on an outpatient basis with pills, however there are cases in which we have to admit the patient for IV antibiotics. If the wound does not appear to be healing despite your keeping it clean and dressing it...you should definitely see a doc, stay ahead of the infection, it's too hard to play catch up with those things....BTW MRSA is everywhere not just hospitals and N. homes. Schools, and esp athletes are getting it too. WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!

123src
09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
MRSA is a staph infection that is resistant to typical antibiotic treatments. Most doctors can treat it on an outpatient basis with pills, however there are cases in which we have to admit the patient for IV antibiotics. If the wound does not appear to be healing despite your keeping it clean and dressing it...you should definitely see a doc, stay ahead of the infection, it's too hard to play catch up with those things....BTW MRSA is everywhere not just hospitals and N. homes. Schools, and esp athletes are getting it too. WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!

I agree. What I commonly saw in these types of antibiotic treatment situations was an IV load followed by pills.

bigmac
09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Antibiotics are often used to prevent secondary infection. That's possible given Doo's description of the increasing redness and swelling around the bite, but at this stage it's more likely a local allergic reaction.

The problem with brown recluse bites isn't infection, it's the damage that's done from the venom in the bite. That stuff can cause tissue death and that dead tissue can become infected making the problem more complicated. If the infection is MRSA, that makes it even a little more complicated, but not insurmountably so.

Having said that, the majority of brown recluse bites heal in weeks to months without any significant medical intervention. The problem is that the 1 - 2% of those that don't can be real nightmares. So, if DooSPX was unable to recover the spider and can't be sure it's not a brown recluse, the bite area should be looked at frequently over the next 3-4 days to be sure it's not extending. If it is, get back to have it looked at right away.

Keep the wound clean with soap and water. If you go to an ER, they'll likely put you on some kind of antibiotic. No reason to worry about MRSA at this point.

puck_11
09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
MRSA sucks! Its really common in South Texas and I've had it, I've got a nasty pic I could post if anyone wants to see. They had to cut it open to let it drain. About three weeks later after the wound finally healed, I got another one and this time they hospitalized me and pumped me full of antibiotics for 3 days straight.

JimN
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Since the bite wasn't seen when it happened, could it be from a tick? How big is the red ring? Is it like a bull's eye?

Here's something from Wikipedia about MRSA- "MRSA was discovered for the first time in 1961 in the UK, but it is now widespread in the hospital setting."

Great- just what we need. Go in for one thing and pick up something worse by being there.

bigmac
09-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Great- just what we need. Go in for one thing and pick up something worse by being there.

These "superbugs" are indeed becoming a real problem. MRSA is sort of the prototype of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but there are several more out there and getting to be more.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
it always makes me laugh when someone will want the opinions of a bunch of people they dont know on a website before they'll go to a doctor.

i just cut my arm off, what do you guys think? should i just use some band aids or go to the doctor?

HOLY WAH!!!! I am laughing my arse off over here!!!!

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme
:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
HOLY WAH!!!! I am laughing my arse off over here!!!!

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

UMP, just imagine if they get an STD, and wait till their Issac Hayes falls off!:rolleyes:

tex
09-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I agree. Go to a Doc or ER!! Don't ask a bunch of boat owners!!!!! We'll just tell you that water, or gin or Cutty will cure all of your ills!
Gin has worked magic on my knee!!!!!!

TMCNo1
09-28-2007, 02:06 PM
A 5th of Canadian Mist that had been in the freezer for 3 years and 4 Doan's BackAche pills stopped my back from hurting at the lake one weekend, but my legs and feet wouldn't work for about 4 hours!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/gd_tequila.gif

ski_king
09-28-2007, 03:18 PM
DooSPX
MC Fanatic
Last Activity: Yesterday 09:35 PM

I wonder if he went and got help, or is laying on the floor beside his computer?

Let us know how you are DooSPX!

tex
09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Gin has worked magic on my knee!!!!!!
Did I mention Vikes help too?

tex
09-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I wonder if he went and got help, or is laying on the floor beside his computer?

Let us know how you are DooSPX!
I keep checking here but he's not shown up!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14483

DooSPX
09-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey guys.... an update... I havent went to the Doc or ER... I know, I know.. im stubborn....
the swelling as went down alot, still a little red with a little bump in the middle....
we will see!!

mccobmd
09-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Now some of us boat owners went to school for a long time to give a coherent and accurate answer, but like I tell people who call, if you can get it to fit through the phone so I can see and feel it I'll tell you what's wrong.

TMCNo1
09-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey guys.... an update... I havent went to the Doc or ER... I know, I know.. im stubborn....
the swelling as went down alot, still a little red with a little bump in the middle....
we will see!!

I have a hard time reasoning why anyone would stick their head in the sand over their health! I am fast in believing not only may you have a medical problem, but a mental health problem as well!:o

DooSPX
09-28-2007, 08:37 PM
HAHA ^^^^
thanks TMCNo1....

Leroy
09-28-2007, 10:40 PM
You're fine, rub some dirt on it and keep going.

we will see!!

michael freeman
09-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I have taken off from work to take my dog to the vet 4 times in the last two weeks including X-rays over a hurt toe because it might be something more serious. None of it covered by insurance.

You are risking serious problems to save a $20 copay????

Second, why did you even bother asking? Everyone on here said go to the doctor, and you ignored them. Next time you should save time and keep it to yourself. Please have your next of kin let us know if you fail to go to the doctor that one time when you really should have gone.

tommcat
09-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Gin has worked magic on my knee!!!!!!do you pour it on or soak in it?

tex
09-29-2007, 12:26 PM
do you pour it on or soak in it?
Pour it in my mouth. Dosage=large amounts!

tommcat
09-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Pour it in my mouth. Dosage=large amounts!
i've tried a similar prescription, i use rum or crown and it works wonders for my pain.

JimN
09-29-2007, 02:41 PM
tommcat- "do you pour it on or soak in it?"

Why, yes. Yes, you do.

tommcat
09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
they doctor said to use alcohol for wounds, he just didnt specify what kind or what to do with it