PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun. WHATS THE BEST SURF BOAT ON WATER?

Goinbroke
09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Just curious what every thinks, and have tried. I surfed behind a 32 foot Sea Ray w/ twin 350's once, what a whitewater mess..
I also saw a pic of a guy in ID surfing behind a Carver Yacht! didnt look fun either.
what's everyone think?

corey
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
My best set was behind an X-Star with the Pro Tour Ballast Kit, sooooo awesome. My wife killed it too which pretty much sold her on the X-Star.

Sodar
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Before wakesurfing was even out.... we are talking like 10 years ago, my dad and my uncle ran their sportfishers next to each other, off Catalina Island and we surfed the apex of the two wakes. It was hands down, without question, the most fun I have ever had on a board. So, my favorite wakesurf boat... a 1986 72' Custom Pilothouse and a 1988 48' Ocean Sportfisher.... :D :D

trickskier
09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Before wakesurfing was even out.... we are talking like 10 years ago, my dad and my uncle ran their sportfishers next to each other, off Catalina Island and we surfed the apex of the two wakes. It was hands down, without question, the most fun I have ever had on a board. So, my favorite wakesurf boat... a 1986 72' Custom Pilothouse and a 1988 48' Ocean Sportfisher.... :D :D
Betcha it had a wake like an aircraft carrier............;)

dh_bennison
09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
We tried surfing behind my X10 in Scotland 2 weeks ago. The wake was massive when we weighted in right. Only problem was the wife broke her leg!!!!!!

Goinbroke
09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Sodar, that sound cool... never thought of a double boat wake.
I'm thinking new X-Games event..

Goinbroke
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
What! Broken leg? how?
Was she surfing?

MYMC
09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Of the current production (and to be honest it's better than anything we made in the past) the 220CSX.

RK@UST
09-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Of the current production (and to be honest it's better than anything we made in the past) the 220CSX.
I have heard it's great.
I have also heard the X35 is supposed to be comparable to it ?????
This came from dealer meeting ( Orlando) attendee. ???????

dh_bennison
09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
What! Broken leg? how?
Was she surfing?

No Sam wasnt surfing she was on her wake board. She broke her leg in 4 places and is now in plaster for six weeks minimum.

The sick bit is the fall did not look that bad (I have a photo of it!!) and as we drove back to pick her up we were all laughing!

Then it was straight to A+E. Then on the way home the Chevy Suburban gave up in a big way (new engine job). Thats very expensive when you live in the UK.

Oh and I forgot to mention the power went off in the place we were staying for 24hrs and recovery truck took 5 hrs to turn up after the truck broke. Even when it did turn up it didnt have a tow hitch and I had to arrange getting the boat home myself.

AAAAhhhh what a holiday so many memorys!!!!!!!!

MYMC
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I have heard it's great.
I have also heard the X35 is supposed to be comparable to it ?????
This came from dealer meeting ( Orlando) attendee. ???????
All true...it is good but I don't think the CSX will be unseated.

ProTour X9
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Just think what the 265 would be like, BUT thats probably not designed with solely wakesports in mind, probably a good ride in chop though.

RexDog1
09-27-2007, 05:02 PM

I also heard this I like it!!!! surf on one side and troll fish on the other side!!!!!!!:D :D

Doug G
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
So do you guys surf driving straight or do you do the turn? We can get an ok surf wake if we add in turning . Straight ahead the guys have a hard time staying in the curl. (X-30 factory ballast and people all in one corner usually the port side)

PendO
09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Just curious what every thinks, and have tried. I surfed behind a 32 foot Sea Ray w/ twin 350's once, what a whitewater mess..
I also saw a pic of a guy in ID surfing behind a Carver Yacht! didnt look fun either.
what's everyone think?

SURFING BEHIND AN I/O ... and you still have your limbs ... congrats!

RexDog1
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
So do you guys surf driving straight or do you do the turn? We can get an ok surf wake if we add in turning . Straight ahead the guys have a hard time staying in the curl. (X-30 factory ballast and people all in one corner usually the port side)

You slightly turn to the side the surfer is on

MYMC
09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Either way...I'll turn of they are falling out of the curl. Try unloading all the factory ballast except port rear and then throw a full Xtreme Series fatsac in the port locker. See what you think then.

endl
09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Honestly I think the X-45 is better than the CSX. It takes some dialing in depending on weight in boat/trim plate ect. I have only been behind the CSX only once though.

sand2snow22
09-27-2007, 05:40 PM
This is my favorite

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/sean.jpg

sand2snow22
09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

How fast are U going? Try slowing down. Slower=high wave, short pocket. Faster=less wave, long pocket. Too fast= hard to keep up

Roonie's
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
This is my favorite

That is a sick wake!!!! I am suprised you didn't get a ticket for the guy on the sunpad in ID. They get strict about that there. Been warned before but no ticket yet.

Roonie's
09-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Either way...I'll turn of they are falling out of the curl. Try unloading all the factory ballast except port rear and then throw a full Xtreme Series fatsac in the port locker. See what you think then.

What setup would you recommend for an 07 X2 for a good surf wake?

justinlkgb
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
This is my favorite

Looks like he's clear for takeoff:D

Seriously though that wave is sick. what boat is that? Makes my wave look like a ripple on a calm day:o

sand2snow22
09-27-2007, 05:57 PM
That is a sick wake!!!! I am suprised you didn't get a ticket for the guy on the sunpad in ID. They get strict about that there. Been warned before but no ticket yet.

Roonie, that's me on the sunpad, early season in Oregon. Not very smart, I don't encourage it...

tex
09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
We used to do that in some shows. The only difference was that we would thread the needle on a jet ski and launch ourselves. Some great diggers came out of it. You can't just put a dumb ars skier on a jet ski and expect good things!

Sodar
09-27-2007, 06:16 PM
We used to do that in some shows. The only difference was that we would thread the needle on a jet ski and launch ourselves. Some great diggers came out of it. You can't just put a dumb ars skier on a jet ski and expect good things!

I did that before on my old standups. I got tweaked wrong though and cracked the handle pole, so I never tried it again.

tex
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
I got so bent with the ski straight up like a rocket ship and me looking like an air railey. I landed on my knees in the tray but stayed on the gas. It looked like I knew what I was doing. My shins were so bruised it looked like my legs were broken in several places. I had to wear long pants because my legs made all the chicks in the show sicker then normal.

Doug G
09-27-2007, 06:26 PM
How fast are U going? Try slowing down. Slower=high wave, short pocket. Faster=less wave, long pocket. Too fast= hard to keep up

Not sure if I was clear but we only run the port rear ballast when surfing and we move as many ppl as comfortable to that side / corner also. I don't have any sacs but I was thinking that as well MYMC that may be an addition for next year.

We have done a variety of speeds from 9 to 12 and I agree with what you are saying. Most seem to like it between 9.8 and 10.6 although it doesn't look anything like that pic! How much weight do you have in there?

Rex - when the guys are falling out of the pocket they keep asking me to turn more until I'm in a pretty tight turn and then they can stay in and are happy. It seems to tight to me though. I don't want to drive in circles :rolleyes:

Goinbroke
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Nice Sand2Snow.
What boat is that?

sand2snow22
09-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Nice Sand2Snow.
What boat is that?

Unfortunately, not a MC. 750 lbs port locker, 1000 lbs bow sac and about 10 people in the boat.

Doug, have you calibrated your speed with a GPS? My 10 MPH use to be about 12 MPH until I calibrated. I think MYMC is right, you need more weight in the rear locker, maybe another fat sac or pop-products. You might have too much weight forward which tends to flatten out the wave and it's really hard to stay in the pocket, especially at higher speeds. I have found the closer the rub rail is to the water, the better!!

swchopper
09-27-2007, 11:27 PM
I know we all love M/C here, but a Centurion Enzo 230 surf wake is tough to beat!

sand2snow22
09-27-2007, 11:51 PM
This one looks pretty good. It's an old Navy boat and I believe it's an inboard. I think he lives in Hood River. Chest high behind a boat, amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p73x8txQHvM

MYMC
09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
What setup would you recommend for an 07 X2 for a good surf wake?
Get as much weight as possible in the port locker (fat sac won't fit) and then another bag under the observer wrap as close to the rear as possible. Fill port stock ballast and leave the rest empty.

Doug G
09-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Unfortunately, not a MC. 750 lbs port locker, 1000 lbs bow sac and about 10 people in the boat.

Doug, have you calibrated your speed with a GPS? My 10 MPH use to be about 12 MPH until I calibrated. I think MYMC is right, you need more weight in the rear locker, maybe another fat sac or pop-products. You might have too much weight forward which tends to flatten out the wave and it's really hard to stay in the pocket, especially at higher speeds. I have found the closer the rub rail is to the water, the better!!

Twice this year, seems to correlate with each time I try to set the clock it needs to be done.. go figure ...

Yup needs more weight.

swatguy
09-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I know we all love M/C here, but a Centurion Enzo 230 surf wake is tough to beat!

Will second that answer and add a pic from the World Wakesurf Championships and after being behind one regularly first hand it's hard to deny the king. What's even cooler about their boats is that you can order it custome so that if you are goofy you can get the tranny reversed so the prop spins the other way making your side the prefered side if you are that into it. Great feature i think, as well as the sideswipe to port out the exhaust from the the side of the boat opposite the rider rather than out the rear.

Eagle
09-30-2007, 01:14 PM
The guy who owns Inland Surfer (wakesurf board manufacturer) uses an Enzo 230 here on Lake Sammamish. He gets a new boat every year and this year's is now for sale (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/502665.html?1191098535).

cornerone
10-09-2007, 12:33 AM

what are you behind and what is the set-up? if you don't mind saying?