PDA

View Full Version : Towing a x-star w/ a toyota 4 runner

GreenSpirit Hydro
09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I have an 06 Toyota 4 -runner. It is a 2 wheel drive, but has the V8 engine. According to my owners manual it can pull 7,000 lbs. Is anyone using a 2 wheel drive 4 -runner to tow an x-star? Any problems?

jraben8
09-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Starting and stoping are probably just fine but handling could be another story. How stiff is the rear suspension in those trucks? I know that the older ones would squat considerably when weight was applied to the hitch.

I used to tow my '87 Prostar with a '97 4x4 4-Runner (V6) and it was fine but I did upgrade the rear springs in it.

dmayer84
09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I am going to guess that you are going to need a weight distribution hitch for that much weight. But I am talking about one of the pickle fork x-stars, if it is one of the older ones I thinking you would be fine.

lanier92prostar
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I second the opinion of the others. If the weight of the trailer makes the vehicle squat on the rear suspension you have 2 options to make trailering safe. Beef up the rear suspension or add weight distribution otherwise the handling could put you in a dangerous situation for damage to you truck, boat, or people in the vehicle.

bigmac
09-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Toyota likes to call their Class III frame hitch a "weight distributing" hitch. It's not, it just has more frame bolts than the Class II hitch with 2" receiver that they put on their V6.

Adding heavier springs isn't the same thing as using a weight distributing hitch - such overload springs don't redistribute any tongue weight, they just make the car ride more level. Weight on the front axles remains the same.

A pole tongue adapter is required for adding a true weight distributing hitch to a boat trailer.

lanier92prostar
09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I beg to differ on the spring issue. It depends on the weight of the load and the squat of the vehicle. I pull a 16k 5th wheel and my ride and control of the vehicle changed dramatically when I added the helper springs. If it is squatting alot then I agree that he needs true weight distribution, If it is mild squat then beefing up the suspension would improve his ride and safety. Weight distribution is needed for boat or RV's when the suspension is not heavy enough to support the load.

6ballsisall
09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I second the opinion of the others. If the weight of the trailer makes the vehicle squat on the rear suspension you have 2 options to make trailering safe. Beef up the rear suspension or add weight distribution otherwise the handling could put you in a dangerous situation for damage to you truck, boat, or people in the vehicle.

To add, it's also dangerous for those in other cars on the road with you. ;)

GreenSpirit Hydro
09-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Its a an 07 pickle fork x-star.

Sodar
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
How far are you talking? If you plan to pull it, 10 miles, I would say don't worry about it, but if you plan on towing 300 miles, I would say get the weight distributing hitch, bigger springs, etc.

76S&S
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Tounge weight for a bumper pull trailer is usually around 10% of the total weight. I'm not sure what the 07 weighs but you should be able to do a rough calculation to see if the hitch is rated for the weight.

You won't have a problem getting it going but even with brakes on the trailer an emergency stop will be interesting.

PendO
09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
It's okay JR, if the accident happens in WA we could get mega-bucks ... and I just need my 1/3rd.

Pendo

/// joking .. get a real rig to pull your boat!

To add, it's also dangerous for those in other cars on the road with you. ;)

GreenSpirit Hydro
09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Boat - 4,520 Lbs
Trailer - 1,240 lbs
55 gal of gas - 360 lbs
Total weight - 6,120 lbs

According to Toyota my truck can pull 7,000 lbs, so that is difference of 880 lbs. I will need to get the boat in FL and tow it about 400 miles home. From the house to a ramp is about 10-15 miles. I also have a 76 Ford Bronco that has a V8 and 4 wheel drive, I think I could use it to tow the boat locally. But it only get about 5-7 miles per gallon so I don't want to drive it to Fl and back to buy the boat.

djhuff
09-27-2007, 01:23 PM
That boat is going to drive you. It's going to push you around the road and you are just going to have to stay in front of it. I had a full size bronco with an old style X30 (lighter than the new X star) and I felt a little undersized for it (wheelbase was the issue i think).

What manuals say the trucks will pull vs. what is actually safe to pull on a regular basis are two completely different things.

Put it this way, I wouldn't, at least not for long.

PendO
09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
what is your hitch rated for??

Boat - 4,520 Lbs
Trailer - 1,240 lbs
55 gal of gas - 360 lbs
Total weight - 6,120 lbs

According to Toyota my truck can pull 7,000 lbs, so that is difference of 880 lbs. I will need to get the boat in FL and tow it about 400 miles home. From the house to a ramp is about 10-15 miles. I also have a 76 Ford Bronco that has a V8 and 4 wheel drive, I think I could use it to tow the boat locally. But it only get about 5-7 miles per gallon so I don't want to drive it to Fl and back to buy the boat.

KnoxX2
09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I would rent a truck to tow it from Fl.
Just a thought!!!

lanier92prostar
09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
You also have to factor in the weight of passengers. gear, luggage, etc. I would not factor in the 55 gal of gas, because I would not tow with a full tank for gas mileage and weight reasons. You need to check to see if the 7,000 lbs is towed weight or GVWR. If it is GVWR, I would probably not tow that boat for that distance with that vehicle. I like KNOX's suggestion if that is the case.

TRBenj
09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Good luck finding a rental company that will let you tow. The only ones I could find that permitted it were moving vans- and you pay for those by the day AND the mile, so its not very economical.

6k+ lbs will be stressing the 4Runner, but it should handle it. I believe anything over 5k lbs technically requires a WDH, so you might look into renting one when you pick the boat up. For the shorter trips that you'll be doing once its home, I probably wouldnt bother.

The 2wd 4Runner is rated to tow 7200, I believe- the 4WD is rated at 7000. My 4x4 V8 tows my 4k lb boat+trailer easily- but another 2k lbs is a lot. It will do it, but take your time.

bigmac
09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
I beg to differ on the spring issue. It depends on the weight of the load and the squat of the vehicle. I pull a 16k 5th wheel and my ride and control of the vehicle changed dramatically when I added the helper springs. If it is squatting alot then I agree that he needs true weight distribution, If it is mild squat then beefing up the suspension would improve his ride and safety. Weight distribution is needed for boat or RV's when the suspension is not heavy enough to support the load.The effect on the vehicle is based on the lever arm imposed by tongue weight acting on the lever between rear axle and hitch ball. A weight distributing hitch changes the effective lever arm by the amount of force applied by the spring loaded levers acting on both the pivot point of the trailer and across the vehicle's rear axle. Heavier springs have no effect on the amount of force pivoting across the rear axle, they only make the squatting vehicle look less ridiculous. It's just physics.

Labatt911
09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
You might want to check with Uhaul i know they sell hitches, they might rent you one for the trip. Make sure you turn overdrive off when you are towing the boat. I once towed a 99 Pro Air Nautique from Greensboro, NC to northeast Ohio with a 4.0L v-6 ford explorer. It was a struggle on some of the hills, especially in WV, but i made it. Take your time and don't be in a hurry.

Ryan
09-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I never towed an X star, but I had a '05 4Runner with the sweet V8 and believe it will tow that big boat just fine. I pulled some heavy loads and it did great, especially since you don't have any real mountains to deal with I wouldn't worry about it at all as long as the Xstar trailer and brakes are all good to go. If you'd gotten the Limited with load leveling suspension sagging would be a non issue and - might be an easy upgrade.

Roonie's
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Towing will be interesting. I have full size suburban and my 3500# X2 yanks it around good on the road.

My main concern wouldn't be the towing but being able to pull the boat out of the water at the ramp with a 2 wheel drive. That heavy of a boat with a wet ramp and good luck getting that out of the water.

I have seen two trucks with much lighter boats just spin their tires trying to pull there boat out of the water with 2 wheel drive.

GreenSpirit Hydro
09-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Problem solved...I just went to the Toyota dealership and after some research found adding a weight distribution hitch would solve the problem. One of the sales man uses the exact same truck to pull a 25' outboard and says it handles it w/ easy and can get off the ramp no problem. Thanks a million for everyone's help. I was scared I just bought a new X-Star and wasn't going to be able to pull it.

ShamrockIV
09-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Depends on where u live. Here in Tn we have some steep ramps. I would not want to pull with forerunner. Stopping it is the problem. Even with my 4X4 Yukon XL pulling my 205, i have to make sure i have plenty of room to stop.

AirJunky
09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey Shamrock,
Any chance your trailer brakes have issues?
I had a 98 Dodge Dakota, V8, 4x4, and a 94 PS 205 with the tandem axle trailer. The truck actually stopped BETTER with the boat/trailer hooked up than without it. All those brakes worked great to stop that load.

bigmac
09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Problem solved...I just went to the Toyota dealership and after some research found adding a weight distribution hitch would solve the problem. One of the sales man uses the exact same truck to pull a 25' outboard and says it handles it w/ easy and can get off the ramp no problem. Thanks a million for everyone's help. I was scared I just bought a new X-Star and wasn't going to be able to pull it.
You mean an actual weight distributing hitch, with spring levers and all? Cool. That's an enlightened dealer.

ShamrockIV
09-27-2007, 02:35 PM
not sure i just got 205. but my current 19ft ski brendella gives me fits!!

TRBenj
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
You mean an actual weight distributing hitch, with spring levers and all? Cool. That's an enlightened dealer.
A true weight distributing hitch will give him the full 7200lbs. Hopefully the dealer isnt trying to sell him something he already has (the Class IV hitch is standard on the V8 4Runner).

Load leveling springs are still a good idea- they'll keep the rear from sagging. People have had good luck with the Air Lift 1000 kit ($75 from Summit). Might be a good investment with that load.

Archimedes
09-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm gonna chime in and say I think that's way too much boat for that 4Runner and it's not going to be a pleasant or safe tow.

bigmac
09-27-2007, 02:51 PM
A true weight distributing hitch will give him the full 7200lbs. Hopefully the dealer isnt trying to sell him something he already has (the Class IV hitch is standard on the V8 4Runner).

Load leveling springs are still a good idea- they'll keep the rear from sagging. People have had good luck with the Air Lift 1000 kit ($75 from Summit). Might be a good investment with that load.
He won't need the springs with a proper weight distibuting hitch. An unnecessary expense and complexity.

Toyota apparently calls the hitch that they put on their V8's a "weight distributing hitch". It's not - it's a weight-carrying hitch. It just has more bolts holding it to the frame than the hitch they put on the V6 4Runners.

endl
09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
:D bigmac/Pendo I am staying out on this one......

GreenSpirit Hydro
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
My 06 4-runner came w/ the Class III hitch, the salesman couldn't even sale me the part so they pointed me tot he local rv supply shop for the hitch. Gonna set me back about $400, but I think it will be well worth it. So I can beef up my shocks for only $75?

Sodar
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
:D bigmac/Pendo I am staying out on this one......

Smart man!! Want some popcorn???

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Doug G
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I looked in to renting to tow for CSM and all the majors say no towing in the contracts. Some RV places rent trucks to tow also. Near me one has an Expedition they rent for example and towing is legal.

Just sayin

Ryan
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Sure it's a stretch to tow this boat with the 4runner, but as long as the trailer brakes are good, I believe it would be totally safe. For frequent trips like this, a vehicle with a longer wheel and a little more power base would make the haul much more enjoyable. I much prefer to have 4x4 for all the crazy sliding I've seen on ramps by 4xs vehicles.

Curious if he had said he'd tow with a Tahoe, if more people would say he's fine. I see Tahoe/Yukons hauling these often and they have the same tow rating of 7200lbs as the 4runner. Take even a '07... from Edmunds.com

"... based on your 6500 lb boat, our Tahoe might well be over it's tow rating anyway. Because of options present, our Tahoe's actual tow rating is 7,080 lb, not 7,200. That leaves 580 lbs for your passengers, luggage, fishing/ski gear, boat fuel, and any excess personal bulk over 150 pounds* you might possess. I weigh 200, so when I drive this Tahoe, I can tow 7,030 lbs - by myself, with no luggage."

TRBenj
09-27-2007, 04:45 PM
He won't need the springs with a proper weight distibuting hitch. An unnecessary expense and complexity.

Toyota apparently calls the hitch that they put on their V8's a "weight distributing hitch". It's not - it's a weight-carrying hitch. It just has more bolts holding it to the frame than the hitch they put on the V6 4Runners.
I know that, I own one. I bought it to tow, so Im well aware of its capabilities, as well as Toyota's misleading hitch nomenclature.

It sounds like the 2wd in question came with a Class III instead of the Class IV that I thought came on all V8's- maybe its only standard on 4WD V8's? Anyways, I still dont think that the better receiver effectively raises the tow capacity to 7200 lbs. My understanding is that to tow the full amount, a true WDH is needed.

http://www.mrtruck.net/texthitch.jpg

My point about the airbags is that they would be beneficial anytime the truck is used to tow or haul. It would prevent sagging, misaimed headlights, etc. A true WDH would be better (especially when towing over 5k lbs), but may not be worth the trouble or expense for the short trips that he plans to do once he gets the boat home.

My suggestion: Get the Class IV hitch installed. Try and rent a true WDH for the 400 mile ride home. The 4Runner will tow OK without it, but much better with it. Install airbags later for the shorter trips you'll be doing.

bigmac
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Might need a pole tongue adapter (http://www.reese-hitches.com/pole_tongue_adapter.htm)to be able to use a weight distributing hitch on a typical boat trailer.

http://www.ontheball.com/images/3280_b.jpg http://www.reese-hitches.com/images/3280.jpg

wakolman
09-27-2007, 07:59 PM
We have an 06 4 Runner 4x4 V6 and it does fine with the ~4,000lb 197 we tow. V-6 has 236hp, 266 lb. ft. torque, the V-8 has 260 hp, and 306 lb. ft. torque, so about 10% more hp. and about 15% more torque. It accelerates, stops, gets off the ramp fine, and we use it to pull the boat 90% of the time. The only time it didn't fare too well was taking the freeway 75 miles away. I won't do that again, (save that work for the duramax). If I didn't have the duramax, I would definitely have something bigger than the 4Runner.

I think there was too much hitch weight (I have the weight carrying hitch and ball mount kit that came as an option on the V6) since the slightest touch of the steering wheel made the trailer move pretty good side to side.

Good Luck. It sounds like you are on the right path.

Another idea, maybe a car dealership would have a half ton truck that they would rent you, we have rented a van from a dealership before.

TX.X-30 fan
09-27-2007, 09:23 PM
2500 hd 4x4 Duramax Diesel. Or have the boat shipped like that gey on the left coast did. :D :D

milkmania
09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Just a thought!!!

I second that

milkmania
09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Good luck finding a rental company that will let you tow. The only ones I could find that permitted it were moving vans- and you pay for those by the day AND the mile, so its not very economical.

economical vs. public safety????
tough call;)

milkmania
09-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I have the weight distributing hitch similar to the one shown below to pull my 30 foot bumper pull travel trailer with my 1/2 ton suburban.....

one thing I noticed, if I don't bind the chains as tight as possible, I don't get as much lifting support, so here's what I do.

* with normal hooking up on level ground, I can catch the 4th. link (from the bar) in the chain with the binders...... not enough for me.

* If I get the trailer to set on the hitch ball (weight off suburban) and hook up the chains, I can catch the 3rd. link (from the bar), then lower the trailer completly onto the truck, I have a lot firmer feel when I'm driving and bounce..... better recovery, less squat of truck, etc.... great for me

:twocents:

Diesel
09-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Yep salesman at the dealership is who I would consult RE trailer specs. :rolleyes:

You obviously have not towed much in your life or you would never even consider towing an XStar with an 4Runner.

What state you in again? Just want to make sure I keep my family away from you. :mad:

bigmac
09-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Yep salesman at the dealership is who I would consult RE trailer specs. :rolleyes:

You obviously have not towed much in your life or you would never even consider towing an XStar with an 4Runner.

What state you in again? Just want to make sure I keep my family away from you. :mad:

Well, I gotta say, that does just about sum it up...

Sodar
09-28-2007, 10:14 AM
2500 hd 4x4 Duramax Diesel. Or have the boat shipped like that gey on the left coast did. :D :D

Bite Me!!!!

Roonie's
09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
How much was shipping from Chicago to Cali? I assume this is where you shipped it from? I am curious to know the shipping rates for a boat and trailer.

Sodar
09-28-2007, 11:08 AM
How much was shipping from Chicago to Cali? I assume this is where you shipped it from? I am curious to know the shipping rates for a boat and trailer.

Todd (endl on the board) hooked me up sooooooo well! I got it shipped from Chi-town to Cali for $1500. When Eric and I were looking at uship.com, the cheapest we could find for some to tow the boat on its own trailer was $1800

Doug G
09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Bite Me!!!!

Dem's some sexy blue stripes on that picture ;)

Lennyp04
09-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Just a thought!!!

I would agree with Knox, i have never done any towing of my X-1 but we have a suburban so there wont be any problems.

Think of it this way...you bought a I dont know $65-$80,000 dollar boat. It is very worth spending the extra money to rent a truck to protect not only your investment but your family and other drivers...that is if your renter lets you trailer

Thrall
10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
These guys that act like you're out to help Osama Bin Laden blow up the USA by towing an Xstar w/ a 4Runner are going a bit overboard (no pun intended).
Yes, it's on the upper end of the towing limits for the 4Runner, and you need trailer brakes to be in good working order, good tires on the truck and trailer, fully aired up, helper springs, airbags, whatever to keep the a$$ end of the 4 runner up high enough to have a relatively level hitch connection, but it ain't the end of the world.
If you drive w/ prudence, the 4 runner will pull it just fine. After 400 mi, you will realize that it may have been much easier w/ the 3/4 ton turbodiesel, but just take it easy (slow) and it'll pull fine.
You already have the old 4x4 Bronco to tow it the 10min to the lake that you said would be the normal trip.
Just leave extra stopping distance and make sure the trailer brakes work.

Edit: What Diesel said above has some validity to it though. If you don't have experience towing a trailer this big, or have never had to get a trailer back in line that was trying to drive your truck for you, be extra careful, or spring for a big truck to pull it with.

PaulW
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree with Thrall, I have been towing for years and have an XStar right now. Everone is correct that your on the upper end of the towing range, but if you drive easy and leave room for stoping.

GreenSpirit Hydro
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Thrall....thanks for the insight. Funny how out of control a simply question can get on these boards. After speaking w/ Toyota I know I will be fine w/ the 4 runner and a better hitch. Just drive slow and leave the shrooms and 18 pack out of the equation just to be on the safe side!!!!!! Anybody wanna pull in my x-star next spring?

Archimedes
10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Thrall....thanks for the insight. Funny how out of control a simply question can get on these boards. After speaking w/ Toyota I know I will be fine w/ the 4 runner and a better hitch. Just drive slow and leave the shrooms and 18 pack out of the equation just to be on the safe side!!!!!! Anybody wanna pull in my x-star next spring?

Nah, just a lot of people with a lot of experience towing. And some of us have seen the ugly result of newbs overloading a tow vehicle at least once in our lives. I've seen it twice and it ain't pretty.

My current tow vehicle is an 07 4wd Avalanche LTZ with Autoride and a 7700 lb tow rating, and I wouldn't tow an X-Star any distance with it.

Sodar
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
My current tow vehicle is an 07 4wd Avalanche LTZ with Autoride and a 7700 lb tow rating, and I wouldn't tow an X-Star any distance with it.

Not even gunna say what I think about that!! :noface: :noface: :noface:

Green, you will be just fine. Be safe and drive defensively.

Ryan
10-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Here is a guy pulling a Maristar230 with a GX470. Same tow vehicle platform; engine, frame, tranny etc... as the 4Runner, pulling a boat of simlar weight as the X Star. Ask how it works for him.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=416153&postcount=213

ttu
10-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Nah, just a lot of people with a lot of experience towing. And some of us have seen the ugly result of newbs overloading a tow vehicle at least once in our lives. I've seen it twice and it ain't pretty.

don't understand why you would not put a x star with that much pulling power. weight with boat and trailer is around 5500lbs. add gas and gear and you are maybe at 6500 lbs. that avalanche should have plenty of horsepower.

Ryan
10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
don't understand why you would not put a x star with that much pulling power. weight with boat and trailer is around 5500lbs. add gas and gear and you are maybe at 6500 lbs. that avalanche should have plenty of horsepower.

It's not a pulling power issue. He just wants a Jake Brake on his tow vehicle when pulling a boat that size. ;)

bigmac
10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
don't understand why you would not put a x star with that much pulling power. weight with boat and trailer is around 5500lbs. add gas and gear and you are maybe at 6500 lbs. that avalanche should have plenty of horsepower.Without a weight distributing hitch, 6500 lbs exceeds the towing capacity of that vehicle. No problem with a weight distributing hitch, however, which would allow safe trailering all the way up to the vehicle's rated tongue weight and towing capacity.

Ryan
10-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't fault the safety mindset. I liked having a 4Runner for towing my boat, in part because it has a tow rating twice that of the weight I tow. I could have it with a minivan and been withing the tow ratings, but I'd have been pushing limits and durability. Now I'm pulling with an Armada not just for great pulling power, but because it stops better with a load than other full size SUVs, particularly while towing.

vision
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I have a 2006 Tacoma V6 4 wheel drive 6 speed manual and it pulls my 2008 X star without a problem. But, I throw it into 4 wheel low for dropping it in and out of the water. Pulling it at 65 mph on the highway is no problem. The double axle trailer under the X star rides better than my 2005 X2 with a signle axle trailer. No sway.

Archimedes
10-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Well it's not HP that I'm most concerned about, though the 5.3 liter Avi isn't overflowing with power. It's braking and handling. Oh and pulling a heavy boat and trailer up a steep, wet ramp.

Like a lot of people on here, I've towed everything from very small 190s to some big heavy 26' cabin cruisers using all sorts of vehicles. My experience (again MY experience) has been that if you don't leave a lot of headroom between what you're towing and your vehicle's 'tow rating', it makes for an unpleasant, potentially dangerous tow. Could I tow an X-Star a long distance with my Avi? Sure. Would it be really safe? Personally I don't think so. Would I do it with a 4 Runner? No way.

Again, just my opinion and I'm a cautious type. YMMV.

Archimedes
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Without a weight distributing hitch, 6500 lbs exceeds the towing capacity of that vehicle. No problem with a weight distributing hitch, however, which would allow safe trailering all the way up to the vehicle's rated tongue weight and towing capacity.

I don't think that's true. I don't have my manual handy, but I'm pretty sure my tow rating is around 7,700lbs. with the stock hitch. Not that I'd ever tow anything that heavy with it, but that's the stock rating without a weight distributing hitch.

bigmac
10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't think that's true. I don't have my manual handy, but I'm pretty sure my tow rating is around 7,700lbs. with the stock hitch. Not that I'd ever tow anything that heavy with it, but that's the stock rating without a weight distributing hitch.

Nope. Go look at the placard silkscreened on your hitch.

ttu
10-09-2007, 03:59 PM
went out and looked on my 07 Tahoe.

States "weight carrying 5,000 lbs"
"weight distributing 10,000 lbs"

Archimedes
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
went out and looked on my 07 Tahoe.

States "weight carrying 5,000 lbs"
"weight distributing 10,000 lbs"

I'm pretty sure the Avi has a higher tow rating than a Tahoe.

ttu
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the Avi has a higher tow rating than a Tahoe.

referring to what the hitch says.

according to the manual is says 7200 lbs standard tow.

Archimedes
10-09-2007, 04:35 PM
referring to what the hitch says.

according to the manual is says 7200 lbs standard tow.

Yeah, I checked and see they're actually basically identical to the Avi.

Archimedes
10-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Nope. Go look at the placard silkscreened on your hitch.

Yup, now that I think about it, I recall the hitch saying something like above 5,000 required weight distributing. My X-1 with tandem is around 4,500-4,800 depending on load and the Avi tows it OK, but not great.

GreenSpirit Hydro
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
So I towed the x-star about 430 miles on my 4 Runner and it towed it like a breeze. No problems, questions or doubts from here on out.

beatle78
10-15-2007, 12:51 PM
So I towed the x-star about 430 miles on my 4 Runner and it towed it like a breeze. No problems, questions or doubts from here on out.

WOW, I';m glad and comepletely shocked. That X-star is a big boat compared to the 4 runner!

PLEASE POST PICS OF THAT RIG IN TOW!!!

You can post it here: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15662&highlight=rigs

vision
10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
No surprise.

My Toyota Tacoma 4.0 L six cylinders tows my X Star with no issues. Trailer and boat are at the Tacoma's maximum rated towing capacity, but it has no issues. Of course, it sucks gas like it is going out of style.

manny34711
10-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I used to tow my 00 xstar with my 1990 4runner 6 cyl. it was insane. what a struggle... but it got the job done in 1 piece.

Ryan
10-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I used to tow my 00 xstar with my 1990 4runner 6 cyl. it was insane. what a struggle... but it got the job done in 1 piece.

When I first got my boat I had a '94 4Runner. Yes, the older ones were weak. These '03+ 4Runners are night and day difference, they are considerably more stout - especially with that beefy V8.

GreenSpirit, glad it all worked out well for you. I'll second that request for some tow rig pics.

CHaus21
10-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Anyone have experience towing a 04-08 style X Star with a V6 2WD Ford Explorer?

Just asking - I have a friend thinking about buying an X Star but will have to tow with that type of vehicle.

Although it will be less than 10 miles each way, seems like that would be a TOUGH tow...

PendO
10-22-2007, 05:12 AM
I have towed a 197 with an 02 v8 explorer (tandem axle trailer) ... that is more boat than I was comfortable with towing behind that vehicle ... an Xstar will push an explorer around ... it would be very unsafe to tow an xstar with an explorer ... my brother has ocassionaly towedan 04 xstar with his 1/2 ton dodge (04 w/ a hemi) ... he seems to do okay with it, but even that is right at (if not over) the limit of his vehicle

phecksel
10-22-2007, 11:56 AM
that's a bit much with an explorer. If you do it, take it easy and leaving lots of room for stopping. I pulled an X10 with an '04 with trailer tow, and it was some of the toughest towing I've done.

FrankSchwab
10-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I tow my '98 Maristar 200VRS with a '98 Explorer (4.0L V6 SOHC) with a frame-mounted hitch. I have no problems at all with it, and I tow 45 miles each way to the lake once a week, and 300 miles to Lake Powell once a year.

We slow down to 55 or so going up the 6% grade through Black Canyon, and travel about 70 on the flat stretches. Coming back down Black Canyon, the truck establishes a nice 65 mph or so on engine compression with no need for brakes.

The only time I felt concerned at all was a couple week period when the trailer brakes weren't working - the Explorer stopped OK, but an emergency situation would have been bad. With good trailer brakes, I feel quite comfortable.

JMHO.

/frank

CHaus21
10-24-2007, 11:30 PM
FrankS

How much do you think your 98 Mari 200 weighs with trailer, etc in comparison to a 05/06/07 X Star w/trailer ?

FrankSchwab
10-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Mastercraft lists the boat at about 2700 pounds (dry, I presume), and the single-axle trailer at about 1000 pounds. Add 300 pounds for fuel, oil, vests, tools, anchor, skis, air chair, etc., and probably another 500 pounds of "stuff" when we're going to Powell.

Still below 5000 pounds. How's that compare with the X-star? I will say that two wheel drive would make it a lot tougher pulling out on the ramp.

For a 10 mile tow, i just don't think you'll have a problem. Keep the brakes in good condition, and the cooling system in good shape, and I think you'll be fine. And, remember, at least three or four weeks during the summer we're towing to the lake when it's 110+ degrees outside.

/frank

TX.X-30 fan
10-25-2007, 02:14 AM
When I first got my boat I had a '94 4Runner. Yes, the older ones were weak. These '03+ 4Runners are night and day difference, they are considerably more stout - especially with that beefy V8.

GreenSpirit, glad it all worked out well for you. I'll second that request for some tow rig pics.

I have towed our X30 with my wife's 2500 suburban, does OK but a little Toyota truck pulling that x-star seems irresponsible?

I think you miss the drift of the comments here. Its not about you getting there safely a few times, but you and the rest of us getting there alive?

If you have the means to own that sweet boat why skimp on safety?

Good luck, I now live 5min. from the ramp. ;)