PDA

View Full Version : 209 wake

skihard111
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I have recently took delivery on a beatiful 2003 SD 209. I love the boat but Im a little bummed with the slalom wake. Has anybody tried to improve this condition with trim tabs IE what CC or Tige has put on their boats? I didnt think that a 197/190 would have been a good choice with the occassional rough water that I have to deal with. I also have a 5 year old so the low freeboard was an issue too.

cdcarve
09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
I have a 2006 X9. I am an open water skier. I had a malibu sportster which had a much better wake, but to me the trade-offs (much more room, higher freeboard, tons of storage, much better rough water ride) were worth the wake. It is actually pretty good at 36mph, 32 off. Another thing that I've noticed is side to side balance is very important. Make sure that the wake is symetrical when you are skiing. If you still don't like it - get a 214! Good luck.

limegreen
09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I have recently took delivery on a beatiful 2003 SD 209. I love the boat but Im a little bummed with the slalom wake. Has anybody tried to improve this condition with trim tabs IE what CC or Tige has put on their boats? I didnt think that a 197/190 would have been a good choice with the occassional rough water that I have to deal with. I also have a 5 year old so the low freeboard was an issue too.

I have considered it and I think there are one or two others on here that are interested. I am thinking I might tackle it this off season. There is at least one comprehensive thread on here about install on other models; how to etc.

ProTour X9
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
We ski the course just about every night with our boat. The wake isn't the greatest but you get used to it, or I have (almost) If I were to improve it, I would start by taking our back seat and ballast out (don't quite know how, yet). But if you can ski behind this beast, just think how you'll do behind a 190.

east tx skier
09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Although that hull is probably already hooked, you might see if a little more hook where the hull meets the transom would improve things. Someone a while back tested this by attaching a plastic strip to their hull with duck tape. They moved it around and added to it to see what it did to the wake. When he got it just right, he had a good glass guy do the hook to match. Of course a hook is a permenant fixed add-on, and more hook = more drag, so maybe a cavitation plate that could be adjusted and retracted is a better solution.

You might also try putting a little weight (maybe 45 lbs for starters) in the nose to see what that does.

vtbuehler
09-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I ski the course all the time behind our x-9, like everyone else, has said you do get use to it. I have taken the back seat out and usually only have half a tank of gas or less when we ski. Also it is very important to get the weight equal from side to side, I have a small 80lb bag when my wife drives, this seems to help the wake somewhat, also I use it when I am pulling my son wakeboarding when it is just he and I. I haven't looked into the hook that people talk about adding to hull or the plate.
Good luck!!:) :)