PDA

View Full Version : Ford Recall Stinks!

TMCNo1
09-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Got the letter from FOMOCO 3 weeks ago for the cruise control fire recall and called the dealership that day for my appointment for them to install a inline fuse to prevent the fires according to the letter. They set it for today at 8:45am and I was there at 8:40am. The service writer saw my letter and told me to pop the hood release, where he promptly pulled the plug on the cruise control, taped it up and placed a seal on it, making the cruise inoperable. He had me sign a paper and said I would receive a letter from FORD in 2 to 4 months when the parts come in and I could call back then for a appointment to get it repaired, BS!
It's Lynn's '99 2WD Exploder Sport 2dr., but unless I'm 6' under it will be the last FORD we will ever own. This makes 7 recalls in 8 years and the 3rd for the cruise control alone, 1st time it as disconnected by the dealer for 4 months, 2 weeks after we bought it!

east tx skier
09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I waited for 9 months for them to get the part to fix it after the tape job. Of course, my wife's exploder has over 260k miles on it with nary a tick (except when its running), so I'm not exactly complaining.

SoCalBrew
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I dumped my Exploder a few years back for exactly the same reason... and the fact that TWICE when i drove off the lot after a service... the service engine light came on (once when I hadn't gotten 100 feet out of the service bay).

I've got a Ford 351windsor in my 1990 ProStar... and that is the closest I will ever get again.

Chas
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
My last FoMoCo product was a new Taurus (back in 2000). It was towed back to the dealer three times in the first four days. They found a wire which was caught under a motor mount on the fourth try.

Then the recall for the brake pedal - too close to the gas pedal. I bet they just put a huge bar on it and bent it, but it took them all day to do so.

Then the recall for the adjustable pedal set-up. Don't recall what they had to do, but it also took them all day to do it.

Then the recall for the third-eye - it took them all day to find out that this one didn't apply to my car because I have the spoiler with the brake light there instead of the rear window.

Then the recall for the windshield wiper motor which was starting fires - took them all day to fix that one as well, and they disconnected half the options while doing so. Took another day to get everything back to normal.

Then the brake ABS warning light came on. Both front 'tone wheels' had cracked, and it took them all day and $600 to fix. The brakes were not affected - it was the ABS which needed the tone wheels. The ABS was not covered under the warranty. Great. I have since heard this was a common problem?

There was one other one - but I guess I have successfully put it out of my mind 'cause I can't think of what it was just now.

Other than that, it's been a great car!

Oh - the cooling fans are currently not working. Haven't troubleshot it yet - I can still drive it as long as I don't get caught in stop-and-go traffic. But hey, this is Southern Cal, what are the chances of that happening?

Leroy
09-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear that Harold, I wrote off Fords after owning a Windstar, engine, transmission, and CV joints in under 70k miles and nothing on warranty. The dealer really made me feel like I was an idiot for these failures and was so inconsiderate during repairs. Bought new in 96 for $24k and sold in 01 for $3k.

Plus your warranty item has been know for years now you would think they would have plenty of stock around to fix this problem.

TMCNo1
09-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I dumped my Exploder a few years back for exactly the same reason... and the fact that TWICE when i drove off the lot after a service... the service engine light came on (once when I hadn't gotten 100 feet out of the service bay).

I've got a Ford 351windsor in my 1990 ProStar... and that is the closest I will ever get again.

Thank goodness our 351W is wrapped in a MC with just the basic wiring/controls and not a Ford product or it would be at the dealer all the time.
My wife just loves her Exploder, but I'm the DA that has to do all the running around keeping the recalls/warranty work done, hood latch recall, ABS sensor in axle recall, cruise control cable replacement recall, 2 cruise control wiring recalls, bolt in the front suspension recall, etc., etc., then the rear hatch glass weatherstripping was installed backwards at the factory, replacement of LH plastic trim over cowel vents/under windshield wipers under warranty, windshield wiper motor recall, CD player bit the dust under warranty, oil filter nipple came out with filter and fixed under warranty, oil cooler line o-rings leaked and fixed under warranty, console armrest plastic hinge broke and replaced under warranty,..................................Holy Cow, I give up, but glad she got the extended warranty, but the wife loves her Exploder!!

Slinkyredfoot
09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Yea, isn't it amazing how the 351 in my boat has held up for so long with little or no problems and yet, Ford's "New Era" leadership has put their stock in the toliet...I feel they have always made good motors.

Their cars have no appeal to me and the service departments are major profit centers because this is the only way the dealerships make money because the cars are not very popular at all...

I have always owned Ford trucks and have been happy, but have never had a recall on one, and I never take it to get serviced at a dealership

herringtech
09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I dumped my 98' expedition after I had a bunch of problems and 2 recalls.

milkmania
09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
My last FoMoCo product was a new Taurus (back in 2000).
*snip
Then the recall for the third-eye - it took them all day to find out that this one didn't apply to my car because I have the spoiler with the brake light there instead of the rear window.

*snip

a Taurus with a spoiler?

Race Car Edition:confused:

edit:
I'll be danged, never saw one before:o
http://images.google.com/images?q=taurus+spoiler&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

ski_king
09-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I still have my 97 f-150 with 130K and hope to put 20k more on it.
I get those recalls every few months, but I havn't let the dealer touch my truck since I took it in for a 6 month inspection and the managed to wreck it inside their garage.

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 07:48 PM
a Taurus with a spoiler?

edit:
http://images.google.com/images?q=taurus+spoiler&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Like this??????????

http://i22.tinypic.com/2akke1.jpg

TMCNo1
09-26-2007, 08:47 PM
a Taurus with a spoiler?

edit:

I hope you saw the Monte Carlo Taurus and the Taurus Pickup on the first page!

betsy&david Harrison
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
my recently deceased friend, David Stewart told me what FORD stands for...Fix Or Repair Daily:D

AirJunky
09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Or "F'ed Over Rebuilt Dodge".

Speaking of which, I bought a Nitro last Jan. One recall so far & it was a 30 min dealer visit to reprogram the ECM.
3.7 liter V6, 17 - 24 mpg. Comfortable seating for 5 full size adults & a pair of dogs. Supposedly it'll tow 5000 lbs. Haven't tried that much weight yet but I probably will before too long.

tommcat
09-27-2007, 08:21 AM
I still have my 97 f-150 with 130K and hope to put 20k more on it.
I get those recalls every few months, but I havn't let the dealer touch my truck since I took it in for a 6 month inspection and the managed to wreck it inside their garage.
dont skip this recall, we have seen quite a few that were on the verge of going up in flames.

ski_king
09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
dont skip this recall, we have seen quite a few that were on the verge of going up in flames.
I knew you were going to see that post and tell me that.

I guess I better get it in there and get it fixed. Do most of the dealers have the parts available now?

TMCNo1
09-27-2007, 08:44 AM

I guess I better get it in there and get it fixed. Do most of the dealers have the parts available now?

If it's for the cruise control recall, they disconnected our unit, taped the lead and sealed it and said that Ford would contact us in 2 to 4 months when the repair parts were available!

ski_king
09-27-2007, 08:49 AM
thats what I am afraid of........ I guess I am being stuborn, I don't even use the cruise control oftern anyway. I just dislike my local dealer......

BTW, nice avatar, I bet she keeps you busy.

tommcat
09-27-2007, 11:21 AM

just keepin an eye on ya;)

we have them in stock sometimes, and sometimes not. the way it works is ford just automatically sends them out to the dealers. we have no say in how many we get and when.

pilot02
09-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I've got 242k on my 94 F-150 and having heard enough horror story on the recalls, don't think it's worth it at this point.

JimN
09-27-2007, 11:35 AM
03 35th- what is that, a Montego? C'mon, paint that spoiler to match!

JimN
09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
The main FORD recalls that I can think of all had to do with electrical fires. Bad harness, insufficient wire gauge, inadequate current ratings for switches, etc. I'd be looking at whoever approved the specs over the years and change the protocols for rating them in real-world use.

east tx skier
09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
thats what I am afraid of........ I guess I am being stuborn, I don't even use the cruise control oftern anyway. I just dislike my local dealer......

BTW, nice avatar, I bet she keeps you busy.

It takes all of 45 seconds when they get under the hood. Shouldn't be any chance for them to smash it up in the garage.

Other than that and a few other ticks, I've been really happy with my 01 Exped.

SoCalBrew
09-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Thank goodness our 351W is wrapped in a MC with just the basic wiring/controls and not a Ford product or it would be at the dealer all the time.

Well, they did seem to get that right... It is about as basic as it gets... but, that's all that boats needs.

They also seem to get pick-up trucks right. Anything else just doesn't cut the mustard!

Tom

JKTX21
09-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I guess I got lucky with my Expedition, they had the part to fix the cruise when I took it in. I guess I am one of the few that is happy with my Ford.

I will NEVER buy another GM however, for all the trouble my last truck & dealer gave me. Toyota is my next stop!

Jim@BAWS
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM
F fix
O or
R repair
D daily

Time to trade the 99 in on a 2000

All the issues with a FORD Explorer. Make it someones elses problem !