PDA

View Full Version : Water in battery box

mrprostar
09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
The first time I had my 96 Prostar out there was no water in the bilge when we took it out the water. The second time we hit one wave that came over the bow and put about 3 inches of water in the bilge and filled the battery box with water. I drained all of that out and soaked up all the water out of the battery box with a towel. The next day we took it out for a few hours and had no water over the edge and no more than a few drops on the carpet and the same thing happened. There was about 3 inches in the bilge and the battery box was full again. I can't see any connection between the battery box and the bilge because it doesn't drain out of there. The only thing I thought of the first day was that the water got under the bow seats and drained into the box, but what happened the second day? I have heard there is supposed to be a small amount of leaking on the propellor shaft right where it goes through the hull. Is this true?

BrianM
09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you probably have a very leaky shaft packing. Check the nut first it may have just worked loose They should only leak about 10 drops a minute. My bilge stays completely dry.

jsc0324
09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
New shaft seal from OJ, a pretty easy install if you are handy. You will need a puller to break the shaft from the coupler. No more leaking after that. (If that is what is causing the leak.) Also, less friction and marginal increase in performance too.

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2011

I am sure you could get this from a dealer too. I think these are standard now on the new Mastercrafts.

Rich_G
09-26-2007, 03:52 PM
I have also gotten water in the battery box, which is below the observer seat in my 98 205V. I'm not worried about how it gets in there, it's just that it can't get out. That trapped water just leads to mildew when the boat is covered.

I am thinking about drilling a hole in the back bottom corner to let it drain. I have reached under there and there is space between the box and the hull. I am "assuming" the water will just drain into the bilge. I always like to ask for input before drilling more holes in my boat, so anything else I need to think about?

Cousin_Jeff
09-26-2007, 04:07 PM
There was another thread on here about this a long time ago as I too thought about drilling a hole. The advise I was given was to think about why the battery is in an encasement in the first place. If you drill a hole, not only can water get out but also battery acid if your battery ever decides to leak. Something to think about.

So, since it is a very rare occurrence for me and very small amount when it actually does get water in there, I went to Kroger and bought a cheap turkey baster and left it under the seat. It fits in there beside the battery just fine and sucks the water right out.

TMCNo1
09-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Our battery in our '89 is under the observer seat in a well and the factory drilled a hole in the bottom corner for it to drain into the bilge.

Rich_G
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I have never had a battery leak so I am tempted to let it drain into the bilge.

However, with Thankgiving around the corner, I could get my money's worth out of that Turkey baster! Hmmmm