PDA

View Full Version : stop puppy chewing

ttu
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
guys and gals, picked up this 7 month old soft coated wheaten terrier a couple of weeks ago for my daughter. the first week he was great. this week he has been trying to chew on the front and back door blinds along with a few other things. he has his own toys.

any advice?

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Go to the pet store and get a bottle of APPLE BITTERS............

JimN
09-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Why would it want to chew on its own toys?

Is there a dangling cord? Full-length? Can you get something from a pet store to stop chewing? Is the dog home alone a lot?

Maristar210
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
You should feel lucky thats all he's chewing.

I second the apple bitters but I can tell you if that does not work an obedience collar is the way to go. A couple of pops from that collar and the dog will pay attention. Mine did and while he's still not a saint he a damn good dog. Good Luck...

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
You should feel lucky thats all he's chewing.

I second the apple bitters but I can tell you if that does not work an obedience collar is the way to go. A couple of pops from that collar and the dog will pay attention. Mine did and while he's still not a saint he a damn good dog. Good Luck...
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

ttu
09-26-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks guys, keep it coming.

i am picking up some bitters this morning.

in re: to is he inside most of the time alone, i have a very niced fenced yard, but it has been raining here the past 2 days and he would be a complete mess if i left him out side all day.

maybe put him in his kennel when i am not home.

TMCNo1
09-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Seperation anxiety, he's just goes crazy when he is left home by himself, wanting some companionship.

RexDog1
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
This worked well for us, until your dog can be trusted not to destroy your home and yard, do not give him free, unsupervised run of your house. Give him a pleasant area or room of his own where he can enjoy himself and relax when you are not home or are unable to supervise him. Literally litter his room with a wide variety of toys. Since he will have no other choice of things to chew, he will learn to chew and play with his own toys. Make the toys enticing. Soak rawhide and long marrow bones in different flavored soups. Let them dry and give a different flavor to the dog each time you leave him alone. Sterilized marrow bones and Kong toys can be stuffed with liver treats or cheese. The dog will be entertained for hours trying to extricate the treats from the toy.

Maristar210
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Seperation anxiety, he's just goes crazy when he is left home by himself, wanting some companionship.

Harold,

You sound like you know all about this :D

H20skeefreek
09-26-2007, 11:10 AM
What is the point of the crate if you are not using it when you are away? That's when I used mine. Put the dog in the crate whenever you are away. Dogs like enclosed spaces (they may not at first), it works with thier natural "den" instincts. Eventually when you go to leave the house, the dog will actually want to be in the crate. I've never had luck with the apple bitters or anything like that.

tex
09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Apple Bitters and the other stuff didn't work with my dalmation. I once gave him a clump of wasabi to teach him a lesson about begging. He just ate it and wanted more! Crates are the way to go!

H20skeefreek
09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I say you just stop cold turkey....puppy chewing! That's sick!!! Why don't you try gum or something?

jraben8
09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
We have the same breed. Ours will be 1 yr next week and loves all of the kids toys to chew on much more than her own. Especially the little superhero figurines. Heads and hands disappear very quickly.

I will say that dog is smart beyond anything other breed that I have seen. And the crate is your friend. Our wheaten loves it and enters on command from across the house.

Jorski
09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
As others have mentioned, the key is the crate. The only way you will stop this behaviour is if you can catch him in the act several times and correct each time. A simple no and a small grab of his scruff will suffice. It does not have to rough or overly forceful, it just has to change the experience of chewing from rewarding to not rewarding.

If the dog is chewing, or able to chew while you are not there, each and every time that it does, the habit is being reinforced. Trust me, the dog is getting something positive out of the act of chewing.

This means if you want the behaviour to stop, the dog cannot be out of your site when not in the crate for some time. Probably several months. The sooner you get a handle on this, the easier it will be to correct.

After the correction, you can give the dog a toy that is acceptable to chew, but give it a minute or two, to avoid confusion. You don't want the dog to think it getting a reward for the chewing (the toy). If your dog chews the toy on its' own accord, reward the dog with some positive attention.

Leroy
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Call Caesar from Dog Whisperers!

JEREMY79
09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
hot sauce is always good

lanier92prostar
09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
You are lucky. My golden chewed a place in our new carpet. We put her back in her crate for 3 months. My wife felt sorry for her and let her back out while we were gone. She chewed a bigger place and now I have to install hardwood floors. She will be back in her crate for a long time expecially since our vet told us that a customer had a lab that chewed carpet, it got stuck in their digestive system and the dog died while they owners were at work.

BrianM
09-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Crate training. Do not leave the dog in the house alone. When you are gone put the dog in the crate. Both of my dogs were never left alone in the house until thry were older. They will learn to love the crate. When I finally decided to get rid of the ceate I had to wean my female off of it.

ttu
09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
thanks everyone.

i will pick up some bitters for if i catch him chewing something when i am there.

but just stopped by the house and put him in the crate with few of his toys.

jraben, i have been very impressed with how smart he is. except chewing of course.

jraben8
09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
When you want him to have some fun, take him to the pond for a swim... He'll love it!

ttu
09-26-2007, 01:32 PM
the 1st weekend i had him we took him out on the boat. as soon as we stopped he looked over the side and off he went.

endl
09-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Ditto....on the crate....I used to train dogs/retrievers as a hobby and the crate needs to be a "positive" place. If you will feed the dog in the crate and be consistent with a "kennel command" you can even start to tell him to Kennel when you leave and he will walk in with no problems.

As far a chewing issues its teething and boredom that causes it most of the time.

ttu
09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
endl, i bought him a good size crate but i really don't think there would be room for his food in there.

your thought.

AirJunky
09-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Don't leave food out for him to eat anytime he wants. Put the food down for a few minutes. When he's done, pick it up. He'll learn to eat when it's dinnertime. We feed ours twice a day, morning & night.

I have two dogs that are border collie mix. Jesse is border & lab & probably the smartest dog I've ever met. At 3 yrs old he does anything I've ever shown him & has a vocabulary of 15 or 20 words.

Frankie is border & newfoundland..... almost a year old & all instinct & total meathead. He'll swim for hours. Run for hours. He's crate trained for night, but we let them run in the back yard all day. He'll drag anything he can get a hold of from the garage thru their dog door to the yard. And he's in the process of digging to China. We've tried kongs & pig ears & they work for a while. Plus we run or swim them every evening. But when he gets bored, he needs something to do. Do we really need to crate him all day too?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of pygmy goats..... and name them Lawn & Mower. That should give the borders something to do all day.

Maristar210
09-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't leave food out for him to eat anytime he wants. Put the food down for a few minutes. When he's done, pick it up. He'll learn to eat when it's dinnertime. We feed ours twice a day, morning & night.

I have two dogs that are border collie mix. Jesse is border & lab & probably the smartest dog I've ever met. At 3 yrs old he does anything I've ever shown him & has a vocabulary of 15 or 20 words.

Frankie is border & newfoundland..... almost a year old & all instinct & total meathead. He'll swim for hours. Run for hours. He's crate trained for night, but we let them run in the back yard all day. He'll drag anything he can get a hold of from the garage thru their dog door to the yard. And he's in the process of digging to China. We've tried kongs & pig ears & they work for a while. Plus we run or swim them every evening. But when he gets bored, he needs something to do. Do we really need to crate him all day too?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of pygmy goats..... and name them Lawn & Mower. That should give the borders something to do all day.

No food in our crate either. Morning and night feeding only. If he eats he'll have to **** and you don't want to clean that up, trust me I have. The dog, the crate and myself all needed a feces debugging procedure after it was all said and done. (Dog had the ****s)

TMCNo1
09-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Harold,

You sound like you know all about this :D
Been there, done that with a Weiner Dog (Datsun/Nissan) whatever, who tore up the basement every day till we gave him to a elderly lady who was with him all the time. He never gave her a moment of trouble.

endl
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
endl, i bought him a good size crate but i really don't think there would be room for his food in there.

your thought.
I think I read that in "training the hunting retriever" if I remember correctly. Does not need to be alot of room in there, they will walk in turn around and eat.

You guys are correct dont leave the food. 10-15 minutes is plenty for them to eat and then take it up. The food just gets them in the habit of going in for something they want. "Kennel" is the command so they associate it with what you want them to do. Consistency in the "most" important thing.

Your Dog looks like he will need the "large" size Kennel in the future so probably would not hurt to have that size now.

Anyway we are getting off the subject of chewing sorry about that.

TMCNo1
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I say you just stop cold turkey....puppy chewing! That's sick!!! Why don't you try gum or something?

Chinese restaurants say it tastes like chicken, but I dunno!
A fortune cookie should usually cover up the taste and gives you next weeks winning $113 Million lotto numbers too! Man, I love this country!:D