PDA

View Full Version : Another alignment question....87 ProStar

ProStar Slalom
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Please help....based on some wear on my strut bushing, it looked like my alignment might be a little off. I disconnected the shaft and transmission couplers. The couplers are parallel to each other all the way around, but after a few turns of the shaft, when everything "settled" the engine/transmission are about 1/16" to the left of where they need to be....which corresponds with the bushing wear I saw. So....can someone please talk me through moving the entire engine/transmission 1/16" to the right? I studied the mounts for a bit and still am not sure how to go about it. Indmar 351 w/powerslot. Thanks for your help.

ProStar Slalom
09-26-2007, 08:32 AM
A little help?....thanks.

88 PS190
09-26-2007, 08:54 AM
What I'd do first is take something like breakfree CLP and a stiff bronze brush, and I would clean the threads on all the adjusters to get the rust out of there, because I bet the mounts are rusty.

The horizontal aspect of these mounts is basically a pinch bolt, basically when you loosen the nuts you can tap these tapered pins loose then the mounts can slide left and right. But first get them cleaned up where you can, and loosened or you'll be fighting.

ProStar Slalom
09-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks 88! To confirm...the "pinch bolts" are the bolts that run on the long axis...they pinch the tapered pins that are perpendicular to the engine/transmission? Thanks again....

KHall
09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
They just clamp on to a straight pin on my MC. The loose clamps will slide on pins.

WilliM1940
09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
I am off in side to side also and I tried to move the engine after loosening the pinch bolts and marking the existing position on the pins. My mounts look clean, but I don't think the engine is going to move easily the small increment I need it to without unweighting with an engine hoist.

88 PS190
09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I needed to use some... persuasion with mine, basically I ended up pushing it back and forth in rather large movements nd got them loosened up, then I worried about getting it set.

Little bit of lubrication in there will not hurt the process.

rkmason
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I did this same type adjustment last winter. The side-to-side adjustment is hard to do in small increments with all the friction you have to work against. I had to use a 6' lever pushing against the exhaust manifold to break the engine/gearbox loose on the mounts. It would stick and then suddenly break loose and move way too much. Not a pretty site to watch, but I did eventually get it lined up after going back and forth a few times. Takes time and patience.

Chas
09-28-2007, 12:45 AM
How do you get it to go up and down? I have the lock nuts loose, but I can't get the 'screw jacks' to turn. Are they supposed to turn in the rubber bushings, or is the whole rubber thing supposed to turn too?

They are free in the pins or whatever you call the things upon which the engine can slide side to side, and I have that part of the alignment done. Now I just need to lower the rear a little bit.

Help!