PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista????

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I have heard some rumblings about this operating system that its got issues.....

I am considering a new laptop.

talk to me peeps. whatcha think of it?? good? bad? terrible? excellent?

Thanks for any help provided.

Leroy
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Some issues, but less than any other WIndows release. I would say the only thing to go with now. We have had it on my son's laptop for 3 months or so and no problems.

rektek
09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Why bother with a virus infected windows machine. just buy a mac you'll wonder why you didn't years ago.

8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Why bother with a virus infected windows machine. just buy a mac you'll wonder why you didn't years ago.

8p
Oh I certianly have NOTHING against Macs. They are certainly superior computers. They are usually much more expensive and usually have some compatibility issues with PC stuff and some software dont they??

Maristar210
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM

8p

I have a MACbook. Great for publishing sign shows:D

Leroy
09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Steve, you just sold UMP on a Mac!:D

I have a MACbook. Great for publishing sign shows:D

BriEOD
09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Have two new laptops with Vista. I have been happy with it. The only issues I have encountered is loading some software that is only XP compatible. I had to get some assitance.

Re: Macs, nice machines. But, just like PCs there are pros and cons to both. Cost and software cost being the biggest that comes to mind.

east tx skier
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
We just bought a desktop and a laptop, both with Vista. Other than a few compatibility issues with older nonwindows software, it's been great so far.

ProTour X9
09-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I was also wondering this, considering a new laptop as well.

rektek
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
If you want to be creative with your Computer, photos, music, Movies. buy a Mac, iphoto, itunes, imovie has you covered. osx blows the doors off of anything MS has ever made.

the only thing I run into is some websites don't cater to safari. but you can run Mozilla on a mac now.

bigmac
09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I think XP was a buggy piece of crap, so rather than learn Vista and have all of the Vista incompatibilities, I bought a Mac and started using OSX. The Mac operating system is incredibly stable - haven't had a crash yet. It is very cool and very fast. For the very few programs I need that are Windows-only, I use XP via Parallels...IOW I can run Windows and Mac software simultaneously in different windows or on different monitors, and I can drag and drop stuff between the two simultaneously running systems. The only thing I really need Windows for, I've found, is MapSource for my Garmin GPS stuff. Otherwise, Microsoft Office, PhotoShop, Firefox...all that stuff runs as well or better on the Mac. I'm completely sold.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/86223594.jpg

rektek
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Now I see where you got your screen name, sweet monitors 24" ?
I purchased a intel Macpro 2.66 when they came out. 8 gb of ram. a dell with same specs was several $$$ more. also own a macbook.

OSX is rock solid, photoshop blazes, Final cut is wonderful software.:o

bigmac
09-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Now I see where you got your screen name, sweet monitors 24" ?
I purchased a intel Macpro 2.66 when they came out. 8 gb of ram. a dell with same specs was several $$$ more. also own a macbook.

OSX is rock solid, photoshop blazes, Final cut is wonderful software.:o

It's a pair of 30 inch Apple Cinema Displays on an 8-core 3 ghz Mac Pro...9 gigabytes RAM and 2 terabytes of hard drive space. It really flies for video and photo editing and Quake 3/4, Battlefield, and Call of Duty have superb frame rates. The thing runs Windows via Parallels faster than the last PC that I built, although I have to actually boot into Windows for it to run PC-only games that require ActiveX to run, since Parallels doesn't support ActiveX very well IMHO. The only downside is that this particular machine runs hot...but even with the fans turned up it's astonishingly quiet.

The switchover from PC to Mac was far easier than I imagined - files just transferred over the network drag-and-drop. There is so much cool software available for the Mac that I rarely use Windows - all the little add-on utility programs that made life easier on a PC have Mac counterparts either part of OSX or downloadable and they are much more elegant and much more solid than the PC equivalents. I'm looking forward to the Leopard OS when it comes out in a month or so.