PDA

View Full Version : whipple supercharger

TWHITTALL
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Has anyone ever put one of these on a mcx 350? I have a 07 Xstar and was thinking on putting one on. My questions would be did you have to change the prop and have you had any problems since install

rektek
09-25-2007, 08:37 PM
sounds like automatic warranty void to me ? maybe someone can chime in.
keep it bone stock until it's out of warranty and then let her rip.:)

Roonie's
09-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Absolutely... good bye three year Indmar warranty. But if thats not a concern then I would really like to see pics of the project and video if you do it.

Chief
09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I doubt it would do any good for a wakeboard boat. I doubt its everbeen done to a MC. Nice hole shot to 45.

bigmac
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
What would you do about re-mapping the ECM? The stock Indmar/MasterCraft map won't even be close if add more airflow.

Andyg
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
03_35th_Anniversary (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=7191) has a 2003 PS 197 with the LQ9 that is supercharged. It is definetly possible the only problem is getting the custom computer calibration for the fuel and timing. And like already mentioned bye bye warranty.

TWHITTALL
09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
heres 2 in a x80

Leroy
09-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the board Twhittall!

How expensive is this?

Has anyone ever put one of these on a mcx 350? I have a 07 Xstar and was thinking on putting one on. My questions would be did you have to change the prop and have you had any problems since install

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 06:37 AM
heres 2 in a x80

http://i23.tinypic.com/a0xc38.jpgOh....Baby thats sweet........:love: :headbang:

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 07:04 AM
It can be done, but how much money do you want to $pend??? I know the people that know the people who can rewrite your ECM. Yes the prop will be a big issue. I am still playing around with props.

http://i24.tinypic.com/14c5hc0.jpg

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I doubt it would do any good for a wakeboard boat. I doubt its everbeen done to a MC. Nice hole shot to 45.
Shows how much you know...........8p

Chief
09-26-2007, 07:06 AM

I stand corrected. :) Top speed w/stock prop still about 50?

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 07:08 AM
How expensive is this?

Lets put it this way.......I could of had a real good time Vagas.....

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 07:10 AM
I stand corrected. :) Top speed w/stock prop still about 50?
I have been through a few props. The prop I am running now is not to far from stock and I get (with good gas) about 54.8 MHP.

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Waranty, you will have to PM me for that info (top secert).

88 PS190
09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
When Ski Fly was up and going there were some supercharged boats out there.

Watch them idle in the water and they would rock back and forth. Pretty cool.

rkmason
09-26-2007, 10:00 AM
If any of you guys who put a supercharger on your MCX engine is interested in selling the original MCX intake hardware, contact me. I would be interested in buying as much of the original MCX injection hardware & electronics system as I can get. More complete is better.

Sodar
09-26-2007, 10:13 AM
It can be done, but how much money do you want to $pend??? I know the people that know the people who can rewrite your ECM. Yes the prop will be a big issue. I am still playing around with props.

http://i24.tinypic.com/14c5hc0.jpg

Couldn't you get a custom prop and get those numbers up into the high 50's, low 60's?

How much boost are you running?

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Couldn't you get a custom prop and get those numbers up into the high 50's, low 60's?

How much boost are you running?I am running th 5 lbs. boost pullies. The lowest boost setting. For engine life purposes.

Yes you can, the guy that put the S/C on the boat also had another customer with a 190 that had the 450 hp L-18. They had proped this boat to go that fast and found the handling was really bad going that fast. His terms were. "It puts the boat into scary mode cause the handling is so bad." So I really never worried about getting it over 55 mhp.

Sodar
09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I am running th 5 lbs. boost pullies. The lowest boost setting. For engine life purposes.

Yes you can, the guy that put the S/C on the boat also had another customer with a 190 that had the 450 hp L-18. They had proped this boat to go that fast and found the handling was really bad going that fast. His terms were. "It puts the boat into scary mode cause the handling is so bad." So I really never worried about getting it over 55 mhp.

That is actually a great point. With the shaft angle and wetted surface on a 190/197, I can understand it being scary. With 5lbs of boost, you can run that motor FOREVER!! My buddy has a 350 with a very similar set up on his I/0 and has run 5 lbs of boost without a tear down, for over 8 years now!

chevy08bud
09-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Why not throw a centrifigal blower on there? Something like a ProCharger. Would still have to do computer and injector work, but could leave the top end alone for the most part. They work great and run much cooler than screw type blowers. The warranty on the ProCharger blowers is very good as well. I believe something like 3years on most of them, and 5 years on others.

Storm861triple
09-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Why not throw a centrifigal blower on there? Something like a ProCharger.
Because relative to a whipple charger, the centrifugal blower makes less low RPM torque which is what a ski/wake board boat needs most (if it needs anything).

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 04:50 PM
That is actually a great point. With the shaft angle and wetted surface on a 190/197, I can understand it being scary. With 5lbs of boost, you can run that motor FOREVER!! My buddy has a 350 with a very similar set up on his I/0 and has run 5 lbs of boost without a tear down, for over 8 years now!I actually wanted to run a higher boost. But I was told by indmar that the connecting rods have a coating on them from the factory and that the higher boost/presure on the connecting rods may damage the coating. I was told in a car it would be fine. Cause your on the ges then off of it. In a boat you your on it and you stay on it and just hang the touge out on it. I also had a probelm with dampening plat behined the engine. The extra torq and hp broke it down. They guys at Texas MasterCraft put one for an X-45 or X-Star in there to help out with the extra load.

You should S/C your so we can race them.

88 PS190
09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
What is your fuel use like W/ whipple vs W/o?

Just curious as to if the engine running with extra air in the cylinder makes enough power to run it at lower RPM and a higher prop and therefore boost fuel economy.

Silly Question, we all know you want the power.

Boat engines do have the issue of having constant load. IE in a car you have coast down hills etc. you are never holding against a constant load like the boat.

How does the damper drive plate vary in the X45? Are the V-Drives just equiped with beefier springs/steel?

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 05:50 PM
How does the damper drive plate vary in the X45? Are the V-Drives just equiped with beefier springs/steel?
That what I was told, big boat beefier plate.

The fuel usage would be alot better if I could stay outta the gas and quit playing around half the time donchano, vroom vroom.............:D

TWHITTALL
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Is that a whipple? I'm sure it going to be around 5 to 6 g's. How long has yours been on?

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Is that a whipple? I'm sure it going to be around 5 to 6 g's. How long has yours been on?
Yes it is.

You better dig a little deeper, $8,000 - $8,500 back in 2003 (that was everything ECM and all)

Since 2003 currently have 138 hrs. on it.

TWHITTALL
09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Whipple didnt have a ecm with the kit? I had hoped that a ecm would come with the charger as a complete kit. Since I have an 07 Xstar my plate should be good right? Do you think it was worth the hastle? Only reason I'm even thinking of it is because my boat just hits 42 mph which is fine until you want to get somewhere fast.

03 35th Anniversary
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
The ecm was re done by Allen Tehan at indmar. I still have the factory ecm inplace.

Don't do this if you think you will be trading or selling in a few years.

Mine was done cause I am a footer. Not just for being able to go faster and get somewhere.

Would I do it again..........YES!!!

Prostar Rich
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Why not throw a centrifigal blower on there? Something like a ProCharger. Would still have to do computer and injector work, but could leave the top end alone for the most part. They work great and run much cooler than screw type blowers. The warranty on the ProCharger blowers is very good as well. I believe something like 3years on most of them, and 5 years on others.

There also is the issue of supplying oil to the centrifigal type of blower. Some of these types of bolt on kits require that you tap into the oil pan. Some have their owned sealed oil case. I would prefer to to tap into the pan to keep the oil temp cooler to the s/c instead of boiling in it's own oil case.

This is an interesting thread regarding the boost that people are running. I have experience with various s/c as they relate to automotive use. In the automotive arena in my experience I went for a lower C/R and then ran higher boost. I would think that by running 5 lbs. of boost you would be pretty safe with a stock bottom end. I would think that you would have to manufacture your own brackets to mount a centrifigal type of blower kit unless they make a kit for marine applications.

Now if any of you guys are into hot rodding cars the trend seems to be leaning towards turbos. I have seen some really sick small blocks running a pair of hair dryers that make some ungodly power. Intercooling is key in both S/C and Turbo applications.

Prostar Rich

chevy08bud
10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
A lot of ProCharger's blowers are self contained, and they do a lot of marine applications as well. I'm sure that they whould have something for an Indmar marinized small block.

Storm861triple
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Now if any of you guys are into hot rodding cars the trend seems to be leaning towards turbos. I have seen some really sick small blocks running a pair of hair dryers that make some ungodly power. Intercooling is key in both S/C and Turbo applications.

Prostar Rich
Turbos in a boat are tought becasue you need turbos w/jacketed exhaust housings to keep underhood temps reasonable. That's spendy, and probably custom. I don't know of too many jacketed Turbos.

Also w/a ski boat, turbos have the same issue (only more so) as a centrifugal blower; lack of low RPM torque, plus turbo lag. On a boat being used for this function, a positive displacement blower is the only way to go, IMO.