PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea?

cdstukey
09-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I need to do some work on my boat buddy and clean /wax the bow of the boat. Would soaking the bunks and trying to winch the boat back a foot or so on the trailer be a really bad idea? If that's okay, would the lifting rings and/or pylon be the best pulling points? I don't really have a great option for leaving the boat off the trailer for an extended time to work on trailer. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chad

jkski
09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Do you have a single axle or double axle trailer? I ask because if you get the weight too far back, the trailer will tip up if it is not connected to a vehicle.
As far as winching it back, I would not advise winching from your pylon, as it is not intended to be used in that manner and may have a bad outcome. The lifting rings would be a better point, but you may consider using a couple of properly placed jacks with blocks to lift the boat slightly and move the trailer a bit to get to what you need.
What about simply launching your boat and having someone drive around in it for a bit, while you fix the issues, that way you don;t have to worry about leaving it at a dock.

BrianM
09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I would think you would be ok. Use the lifting rings for your attachment point and distribute the load evenl.

Leroy
09-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm with Brian, sounds ok. Watch that the trailer or the boat doesn't tip back. If you wet the bunks with 303 or wax it will slide easier, of course it will be slippery for several months after that also.

east tx skier
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
IIRC, don't put 303 on your bunks. It can trap water next to your hull and give you a case of blisters. Just ask Harold. :o

TMCNo1
09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
I replaced the plastic housing once and then later carpeted my Boat Buddy and did it by locking it in the open position, removing the bolt from the bridle and pulling out the Boat Buddy to work on it, not a complicated process, and it dod not require moving the boat on the trailer or anything like that.

SDAhockey21
09-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I removed my boat buddy by placeing blocks of wood just behind the v bunk. Then I lowered the tonge of the trailer, and this way boat rests on the blocks and you can get the boat buddy out. If the blocks do not give you enough room, you can always use a jack. Make sure you put chalks under your wheels.

cdstukey
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Its a tandem trailer, I would probably leave it hitched to the truck to help prevent tipping, although I like TMCno1 and SDAs suggestions. One of those might be the better way to go. Thanks for all the input.