PDA

View Full Version : Makita BO6040 Two Mode Polisher

BrianM
09-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Just ordered myslef a Makita two mode polisher. This is a reccomended random orbital buffer/circular polisher from properboatcare.com A few here have had great results with their methods and products so I figured I would give this Makita a try on my '85 S&S. I have a really cheap Royobi orbital but needed a good circular for compounding. I figured this would be a great machine that will last me forever for both purposes. Here is a description of the machine from their site although I purchased elsewhere for substantially less than their price.

http://properboatcare.com/matwomopo.html

pq2
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Brian, congrats on your new S&S, It will be great to see how the project ends. Please post pictures. Im interested on buying an 83 S&S and I will have to do the same. Congrats again.

BrianM
09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Brian, congrats on your new S&S, It will be great to see how the project ends. Please post pictures. Im interested on buying an 83 S&S and I will have to do the same. Congrats again.

I'll make you a great deal on an '85 that is in pretty darn good shape. Only 470 hours. Will have a new carb and be running like a top in a couple of weeks.

pq2
09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks Brian, I think it will cost me more to bring the boat to Cancun, than what I could pay for the boat. A friend of my parents has this 83 S&S and the other day they told me that I should take it and try to fix it. Its being out of use and service for the last 10 years. I think i will pay for the hull $1,000 usd, and then start working on it. I had always dream on a boat project like this, so lets see what happends.

Sodar
09-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I like the Makita Brian!! I have the Porter Cable 7424 (Dual-Action/Orbital) and a Porter Cable 7428 (Circular)... it would be very nice to have two tools in one. Let me know how it works out for you! Congrats on the new boat!

east tx skier
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
On Cameron's glowing review, I recently picked up the PC buffer. Seems well put together, but I haven't had a chance to take it to task yet.

85S&S_Keuka
09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Just ordered myslef a Makita two mode polisher. This is a reccomended random orbital buffer/circular polisher from properboatcare.com A few here have had great results with their methods and products so I figured I would give this Makita a try on my '85 S&S. I have a really cheap Royobi orbital but needed a good circular for compounding. I figured this would be a great machine that will last me forever for both purposes. Here is a description of the machine from their site although I purchased elsewhere for substantially less than their price.

I bought this polisher last spring to spruce up my 85. It came out really nice. I did end up wet-sanding the whole thing before compounding, just 'cause it was pretty faded in some spots.

Just so you know - it is not a true circular buffer, even the circular mode has a little orbit to it. Not that I'm an expert, but it seemed to do the job nonetheless.

BrianM
09-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I bought this polisher last spring to spruce up my 85. It came out really nice. I did end up wet-sanding the whole thing before compounding, just 'cause it was pretty faded in some spots.

Just so you know - it is not a true circular buffer, even the circular mode has a little orbit to it. Not that I'm an expert, but it seemed to do the job nonetheless.
Glad to hear you had good success with it. I read that it still giggles in the circular mode but apparently it does not make it any less of a circular. Supposedly that action makes it just a little more user friendly. We shall see....

André
09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Did i miss the thread about the 85 S & S?
Congrats on both the polisher and the boat.
Any pics of the boat yet?:)

rektek
09-25-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

lanier92prostar
10-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I am trying to decide if the Makita is worth the money or if I just want the Porter Cable. I already have a good random orbit buffer.

BrianM
10-09-2007, 08:24 AM
I am trying to decide if the Makita is worth the money or if I just want the Porter Cable. I already have a good random orbit buffer.

This thing was definitely worth the money. The forced circular mode worked perfect for compounding. If you already have a good random orbit though I would just buy a nice circular for the compounding and use your current machine for the random orbit buffing.