PDA

View Full Version : Slide in truck campers out there???

123src
09-24-2007, 10:57 PM
How many of you guys have campers for your trucks?

Do you store them outside all winter?
Do you Stabalize them on devices other than the jacks?
How far do you go in winterizing, other than blowing the water out of the lines and draining the hot water heater?
Do you use the dri air pellets, or a plug in machine?

I am sure I can go to a Camper forum for these and many other answers, but that would take up too much precious TT time:D

123src
09-24-2007, 10:58 PM
oh yeah... forgot pictures were appreciated!

123src
09-24-2007, 10:58 PM
side view of support jacks....

KY Larry
09-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Beautiful Artic Fox !! I bought one from a guy in Nebraska on Ebay, and now one of those Washington State jewels is in Kentucky now!!

I store mine in covered storage. As long as you don't keep any water in your fresh water tanks, and all tanks are empty, all I brace is the front part of the camper. The front Happi Jacs have a lot more weight on them than the back.

This is the way to go. Pull your boat anywhere you go, and have a nice camper too. Mine has a wall slide-out. Does yours?

123src
09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Sure does have a Slide out. The only way to go, if you ask me! Here is the best pic I have of it out...

KY Larry
09-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Pretty !! That looks like mine, except newer !! I have a 2001. It's got almost every option except the solar panel.

You have obviously read your manual about supporting it off the truck. Maybe I should support mine accross 3 points... I assume that you have a board or beam of some type accross the bottom and not just on the jacks...?? EDIT I see your beams.... I don't go to that extent. But don't change a thing. Your system is best!!

Looks great!! I love mine. Folks at campsites want to peek inside and are amazed of the room. Is yours the newer aluminum frame? Mine weighs 3400 with tanks (LP and water). My F350 diesel dually carries it fine. The MasterCraft behind.... tops it all off !!

KY Larry
09-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Water lines:
I'm a plumber... got some experience :-))
Mine has the 3 way valve to add RV anti-freeze. It takes about 2 gallons to squirt "pink" out of each faucet, including the outdoor shower. Then I made an attachment to hook my air compressor to the water inlet. CAREFUL... only about 5 psi will blow out excess RV anti-freeze. I figure air will cause less freezing than the RV anti-freeze, and anything left behind is the anti-freeze. Don't forget your P-traps (drains). The kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower drain... pour RV anti-freeze in them.

Water heater:
I take out the anode plug. It's the lowest, and probably what you are calling the plug. It is a very long plug... the long part is the anode protection to prevent decay in your water heater. I replace mine about every couple of years.
EDIT:
Forgot the drains for the water lines. These valves are on the drivers side where the black and gret tank valves are. I have 3. One for hot, 1 for cold, and 1 for the fresh water tank. Open them and let them drain a few days. I close mine back for storage. I don't want any critter's crawling in the lines.

When ever I store my camper, I put long pieces of foam in the air cracks ( 6 cracks ) of the refrigerator to keep wasps and bugs from plugging anything. Screens bug protectors can be purchased for your heater, and are on permanantly. I use a piece of screen for my water heater. Just open the door, and put the screen between the door and the camper, and shut the door on the screen. Simple ways to keep bugs from causing blockages in your stuff.

123src
09-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Good advice, Thanks! I like the screening ideas.

Yep, Aluminum Sub Frame. Still pretty heavy, though. I've got a 3/4 ton HD with Air Bags, sway bar, and the new Rancho 9000XL's. The Ranchos, by far, made the biggest difference for me. Truck does great.

milkmania
09-25-2007, 12:36 AM
another point about dirt dobbers.......

they can and will create a mud nest on the blades of your A/C unit's fan

when you start to use the A/C again next season, and you notice more vibration, it'll be them dang dirt dobber's nests:mad:

don't run it for very long if you've got vibration, or you'll have to replace the squirrel cage blower fan:o

KY Larry
09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
I'll try to add a photo...
No luck. I use other forums and post photos... different here. It prompts me to provide a URL address.. ?? I want to add a file from my pictures. Guess I'll stick to plumbing.
EDIT Getting close. Need to re-size photo. Maybe later...

EDIT
Trying to add photo...

EDIT ..... Again !! GOT IT !!
This is the first time we went out early this year. Before I added my bimini... Not my favorite photo, but there's the camper.

03 35th Anniversary
09-25-2007, 05:45 AM
side view of support jacks....

http://i23.tinypic.com/14tlmdy.jpgFrom the looks of it you have a dog that lives under there..........:D :D :D

123src
09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
From the looks of it you have a dog that lives under there..........:D :D :D

YEP! nice observation. 2 labs try to stay out of the rain when they are not in the house. I guess that is the best choice for them. In the sumer, they have dig out a huge hole under the camper to stay cool!

André
09-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Sure does have a Slide out. The only way to go, if you ask me! Here is the best pic I have of it out...
Wow! Those trucks campers sure look better then before...and with a slide out too.Looks very roomy!
Very nice,congrats!

wgwollet
09-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I have always liked the side-ins but don't see many......what do you like and how big of a truck?

KY Larry
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
wgwollet,
These big slide in's, need a big truck. Mine is on a dually.

We were scared to buy one, because if we didn't like it, we figured it would be hard to sell. It's a small market of folks looking for this style camper.

They are expensive. I bought mine on Ebay. Saved a lot, but still high. We have had ours for 3 or 4 seasons now, and love it. We pull our boat to different lakes, and we also are into ATV's. I can pull the boat or the ATV trailer and go where I want. The truck camper has a generator, water tanks... everything you need. You don't even need a campground, although we prefer hook-ups.

We also go on trips and pull nothing. I can park most anywhere, and get into restaurant parking lots, etc, with ease.

Take a look inside one of these big slide in's. The wall slide-out makes MUCH more room. They've come a long way since the "old truck camper".