PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Windsheild Frame?

M.T.
09-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I have a 1997 prostar 205 with a black windshield frame. The frame has chips, has anyone tried sanding the black off and polishing the frame? I believe the frame is aluminum and thought it may work.

michael freeman
09-24-2007, 10:38 PM
When I was looking at Cobalts the polished SS windshield frames looked very cool, but I was warned out on the lake they can get annoying with the sun always shinning off them in your eyes.

I have no first hand experience with this problem, just what I heard.

Keeping them polished may also be an issue unless you coat them with something to keep them from oxidizing as well.

(edited to correct my bad spelling. :)

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
If removed, it can be blasted and powder coated. Or, you can get some standard glossy auto touch up paint and make the scratches disappear from anywhere more than a foot away.

03 35th Anniversary
09-25-2007, 06:38 AM
When I was looking at Cobalts the polished SS windshield frames looked very cool, but I was warned out on the lake they can get annoying with the sun always shinning off them in your eyes.

I have no first hand experience with this problem, just what I heard.

Keeping them polished may also be an issue unless you coat them with something to keep them from oxidizing as well.

(edited to correct my bad spelling. :)

My boat has chrome window framing. I don't have any probelms with the sun shinning off of it, but I also tinted my windows so this my have an effect on that.

WTRSK1R
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
If the chips are small, and not to extensive, you can take a Black sharpy and fill them in. It will hide them from more then a couple of feet away and lasts longer then you would think.

Otherwise, I am with Easty, powdercoating is the way to go.

schnellaz
09-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I have a 94 Prostar 205 and my black windshield frame has lost some of the black paint. Mostly from towing with the cover on and is has rubbed off. Has anyone ever removed the frame? I was curious has to how difficult it is.

schnellaz
09-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I have a 94 Prostar 205 and my black windshield frame has lost some of the black paint. Mostly from towing with the cover on and is has rubbed off. Has anyone ever removed the frame? I was curious has to how difficult it is.

east tx skier
09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Not difficult to remove, but if you take the frame off the glass, it can be a real pain to get back on there. To remove, take out the rubber insulation at the base have one person hold a wrench on the nut underneath the dash, i.e., crawl under the observer seat, and another person holding a screwdriver to the screw topside.

BrianM
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I just touched up the window frame on my '97. I have a place that rubs because of the bungee dock lines that we use at the lake. I lightly sanded the spots then used a mix of satin and flat Rustolium black paint. Applied with an artist brush. After the painted dried for a couple of days I wet sanded with a little 1000 grit paper to remove any brush marks. Finished up with a little cleaner wax to the entire frame and you can't tell it was fixed.

Sodar
09-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I think the polished frame looks awesome, however, I did what Brian did on my 190 and it looked great... just like he said "you can't even tell it was fixed"

milkmania
09-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Not difficult to remove, but if you take the frame off the glass, it can be a real pain to get back on there. To remove, take out the rubber insulation at the base have one person hold a wrench on the nut underneath the dash, i.e., crawl under the observer seat, and another person holding a screwdriver to the screw topside.

I wonder if that black foam rubber stuff covering the screws can be picked up from the dealer???

east tx skier
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I have no idea. I only removed mine once on the 205 and it was in very good shape.

TMCNo1
09-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Got tired of the constant upkeep, so I covered the outside of the frame with vinyl non-skid from ProStripe and heat set it with a heat gun, molded around the screws, tucked it in the gaps with a squeegy. Everyone thinks it's covered with Line-X. No more wear from dock ropes, cover, chips from rings and watches, etc, totally maintenance free now.