PDA

View Full Version : Bored? Here's my "new" toy.

iokua
03-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Well Im usually just lurking around the site, but it looks like you guys need something to read to keep busy in the off season; thought I would post one picture for numerous threads instead of the same pic over and over....The last pic I posted wasn't very good.

Bought the boat about 4-5 months ago and have had good advice from you guys already. Pulled it out of the garage a couple weeks ago to get it running and "tune it". The previous owner did some funky stuff to this boat, so it's taking a little longer than I'd hoped to fix 'er up. Got it running, set the timing, but looks like it's running a little hot (could just be the plunger setup for cooling water) and has a internal knock (that it didn't have when I bought it). I plan to take it into the MC dealer so they can have a look over.

So far: New carb; new fuel water seperator; removed intake manifold and valve covers and replaced with new gaskets; new thermostat; new impeller; fixed hole in nose; removed platform, sanded; removed rub rail (began installing new rail last weekend), re-sealed the deck to the hull; removed complete interior (will install new carpet this year - upholstry next winter); complete new steering system.

Id like to point out a few things/threads my pic can fall under:

1. Newbies let see your boats
2. Garages I feel for you guys and your 90 point turns. The double garage you see in the boat house.
3. Tow vehicle is there any other?

The top came with the boat; pretty interesting. Ive never seen one like it, but it will become useful here in Oregon/Washington when its raining and I just cant resist the urge.

As soon as I get the teak platform done, I'll post before and after pics....spent about 8 hours sanding.

AirJunky
03-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Ha! Nice Iokua!
Welcome to the world of inboards in general..... and MC's in specific! Nice top... your right. Your going to use it from time to time. We have skied throught the northwest for the last 15 yrs & done it in the rain more than a few times. The top looks like a conventional I/O top. Mark @ Ski Masters has been installing them for years, even the full canvas setup. Depending on how hardcore you get, you might even get a small comfortable set of goggles (Overtons or Ski Limited catalogs) to protect the skier's eyes in the rain.
Good luck, spring is comin early this year!

River Rat
03-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Nice boat IOKUA, I realy like those stars and stripes :love: ...But I don't get it......... truck in the garage and boat outside??? wat up with that?

BriEOD
03-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Looks good, welcome to the club.

tex
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
welcome aboard! nice boat!

jayderwin1
03-08-2005, 09:42 AM
is that a Mastercraft Trailer?

lakes Rick
03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
IOKUA, let me know how your visit to the Portland OR. dealer goes.. Everytime I go there all they want me to do is trade in my boat for a new one.. Dealer of the year.. Yeah right....

east tx skier
03-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Very nice, Iokua. Quick question, when you replaced the gaskets, did you use automotive gaskets or get them from an inboard parts supplier. When I swapped my intake manifold this winter, the automotive intake manifold gaskets didn't have the restrictor hole that were standard from all of the marine parts suppliers with whom I checked. The absence of this restrictor had been the source of vapor lock in the past. I don't know if this would cause it to knock or not, but figured I'd mention it all the same.

From skidim's description ... "A restrictor (smaller hole) in this gasket reduces the amount of exhaust gas that flows across the manifold thereby heating the manifold which had been causing the carb to boil fuel and caused hard re-starts (vapor locking) and IDLE INCONSISTENCY."

rem_p
03-08-2005, 11:40 AM
good lookin boat :friday:

ski_king
03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Great looking boat! Love them old Stars and Stripes!
What year is it?
I am guessing 84 or 85.

iokua
03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Okay, let's see if I can remember all the questions; and thanks for the replies!

The truck used to sit under the canopy until recently when I was able to squeeze it into the other garage (on the other side of the canopy). Luckily the girlfriend didn't fuss too much when I slid my truck in the garage after she went to work one day. :)

The trailer is not a MC trailer. The original owner had it custom built by Trail Rite out of CA - they only "custom build" trailers. When I called them to ask about the weight, the guy said "oh, you have an '85 MC S&S, right?". Was amazed; they still had the info on file. They also put the non skid "Mastercraft" on the top of the wheel wells; and it has surge brakes. Makes pulling/stopping a breeze.

Lakes Rick; read about your accident at Florence; I feel for you. I've got an XR500 I've taken a few spills on. I know a group of pretty hard core guys that build Land Cruisers here in Portland and go to Sand Lake and Brown's Camp quite a bit. Have always wanted to ventury to Florence but it's a long haul for just a weekend from here. I'll let you know how it goes at the Portland Ski Boat shop.

east tx skier; I got my gaskets from Skidim. I don't specifically remember the hole(s) being smaller - the gasket seemed to fit the holes in the manifold pretty well. The "knock" is more like a small tick - my hope is just a valve adjustment. I just know it wasn't there when I bought the boat.

The boat is an '85; about 800 hours on it.

I went down to the boat ramp over the weekend and had to restrain myself. The weather here has been unusually warm and there was a boat going in the water about every 3 minutes. If I wasn't still waiting on parts, I'd still be on the water!

east tx skier
03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
If you got them from dim, there's no issue. I'm hitting the water this weekend.