PDA

View Full Version : 10 Quarts of oil in an L-18????

prostar205
09-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Has anyone heard that Indmar is requiring 10 (not 8) quarts of oil for the L-18 motor? My dealer told me that Indmar published a service information letter stating that all L-18 motors need 10 quarts of oil rather than 8 quarts. They are sending new dip sticks to the dealers showing a new "full" line corresponding to the 10 quart requirement.

My question is: if the oil pan was designed to hold 8 quarts, would putting 10 quarts in this same pan cause the front or rear main seals to blow out or leak? My L-18 uses a little oil but I always check it and add more if necessary. I don't want to "fix" one problem only to create another.

TMCNo1
09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I would think that if Indmar recommends 10 quarts, then they know what they are talking about. You can always send them a e-mail and ask the question to them if you don't agree with your dealer.http://www.indmar.com/About/MeetTheTeam/index.html, click on Contact Indmar.

prostar205
09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
It's not that I don't agree with them. In fact I just went on the Indmar web site and they do require 10 quarts of 15W-40 Penzoil for the L-18. My concern is did they redesign the oil pan to accomodate for this extra oil or are they using the same oil pan that was used for the 8 quart requirement.

It is just a minor concern. Like you, I would assume Indmar has done their homework and would not require the additional 2 quarts of oil and use the same oil pan without doing some testing.

prostar205
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Ok - I emailed Indmar around noon my time and got a response by 1:30 - not bad turn around time.

They current oil pans have more that enough room for the extra 2 quarts of oil without causing any damage to the seals. Here is the Service Advisory letter that went to all MC dealers.

I also included the Service Letter regarding the use of straight 40W oil for the L-18.

TMCNo1
09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Ok - I emailed Indmar around noon my time and got a response by 1:30 - not bad turn around time.

They current oil pans have more that enough room for the extra 2 quarts of oil without causing any damage to the seals. Here is the Service Advisory letter that went to all MC dealers.

I also included the Service Letter regarding the use of straight 40W oil for the L-18.

Now that's what I'm talking about, service, not a bunch of jibber jabber!