PDA

View Full Version : Wake on 1988 Tri-Star

uiowawake5
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a 1988 tri-star in my area. I have never rode behind a 1988 tri-star. Does anyone know how the wake is for wakeboarding on this boat? I'm planning on putting a tower in if I purchase this boat, but am worried that the shape of the wake isn't going to be what im looking for. Can anyone help me out:rolleyes:

beatle78
09-24-2007, 04:09 PM
You should do a wet test.

It's very common for serious buyers to take out the boat they are interested in buying for a test ride (both in and behind the boat).

jrcarte78
09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I have an 89 closed bow TriStar 190. I ride w/ about 1000 lbs. From my experience, you will have to ride at atleast 24-25 mph and about 70ft of rope for the wake to clean up at that weight. The wake is very good though. I've been able to ride slower and shorter with less weight. Also, the wake unweighted is pretty good.

88 PS190
09-24-2007, 07:23 PM
gonna ride on the res?

uiowawake5
09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the help.

88 PS 190 - yeah I ride out at the res right now. I actually live around chicago but go to school at Iowa. Do you go to school at Iowa?

88 PS190
09-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Yep I do.

I am from La Grange IL (near chicago) my boat is in MI, and I'm a student at the University.

As opposed to buying a boat I'd also be curious as to why you don't try the waterski team.

www.uiowa.edu/~waterski

Farmer Ted
09-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Team Boat?

uiowawake5
09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
HA HA who is this I just joined this year?

uiowawake5
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
thats a step up from the 97 moomba that we have...but atleast we have a boat. Is that photo shopped or is that really your boat?!?

Farmer Ted
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
thats a step up from the 97 moomba that we have...but atleast we have a boat. Is that photo shopped or is that really your boat?!?

photoshoped, but if you want it done it would be $350 shipped for the set

88 PS190
09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I actually haven't paid dues this year.

I should, but I just have so many hobbies, and none of my close friends are on the team.

As far as a step up, I mean sort of, the moomba is for sure not a wakeboat, but then again, you don't need to trailer, winterize, store etc.

88 PS190
09-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh, and I'd be glad to look at the boat you are considering,

Being that i own a boat of the same year with similar equipment I have a decent Idea of what to look at ie. problems that some of the boats have, troubling noises etc.

uiowawake5
09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
that would be awesome, I don't know when I'm gonna get a chance to go see it. It's right around lake geneva. I might go up there next weekend. But if you go home for thanksgiving or something maybe you could check it out. I'm trying to figure out what kind of boat im gonna purchase. Im between the tristar or a 1982-1989 ski nautique 2001 if i can find one like under 6000 or last would be a 1970-1979 ski nautique. I just don't know what i want to do yet. You know anyone or anywhere around us selling used ski boats? Also do you go out on the res ever?

88 PS190
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, the 2001 hull can make a great wakeboat, it is smaller than the Tristar.

As far as skiing behind them, The 2001 has always felt like it kicked more (knees got sore skiing them)

Check the 2001 hull for soft floor/stringers as that can be quite a bit of work.

It is very hit or miss to find used ski boats, really in the Midwest ski boats are a bit of a rarity, only more recently have I started seeing them around on the lakes/rivers.

I remember maybe 10 years ago I never saw them out and about.

The Tristar has some features I'm not such a fan in, but mainly its the deeper V to the hull.

But you board. So ymmv.

uiowawake5
09-24-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah thats what i hear. I was thinking about purchasing a 2001 in SC for 3500 but the stringers had to have been rot because the foam was soaked and the floor was pretty soft. do you ever get the chance to get out on the res? and how many years do you have left at iowa? you should consider the team. its a really good time and the people are pretty cool also its mostly made up of skiers to so you would fit in...

88 PS190
09-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I've been a member on it 4 years, I am a super senior.

I never had a ton of time to ski with them, but I have been out there with them each of the last four years.

kycat2007
09-25-2007, 12:49 AM
I had an 88 Tristar and the boat is meant for skiing behind. It does not have tracking fins. It has a really flat bottom and was designed to be on smooth water with no waves.

Contack Lake Pirate he has a Tristar still and he will give you his insight. I say look for a 94-97 maristar v drive to get a better wake.

uiowawake5
09-25-2007, 01:10 AM
OH Bryce you got me confused, i thought you hadnt done it at all.

jrcarte78
09-25-2007, 10:26 AM
I had an 88 Tristar and the boat is meant for skiing behind. It does not have tracking fins. It has a really flat bottom and was designed to be on smooth water with no waves.

Contack Lake Pirate he has a Tristar still and he will give you his insight. I say look for a 94-97 maristar v drive to get a better wake.

This is very true--but the Nautique 2001 hull was originally meant for skiing as well. The TriStar can throw a good wake if weighted properly. And, with the MC you don't have to worry about the rotten floor and stringers which is a big issue with that vintage of 2001.

The TriStar can be a good, budget wake boat. If you want to step up to a 94-97 Maristar you could be looking at anywhere between 18K-25K. You can pick up a used TriStar for anywhere between 6K-12K depending on condition.

The rough water ride is terrible, but you take the good with the bad.

:twocents:

uiowawake5
09-25-2007, 06:32 PM
So my offer might have fallen through on the tristar in my area. Does anyone no of any prostar or tristar's in the midwest that are up for sale....but need some fixing up and are a little cheaper. I looked on this site and cant really find any. Does anyone know of any sites/marinas or anything? :rolleyes: :confused:

jenglin
09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Quote "I had an 88 Tristar and the boat is meant for skiing behind. It does not have tracking fins. It has a really flat bottom and was designed to be on smooth water with no waves."

I have an 88 TriStar 190 and they DO have tracking fins. The 220 may not have fins. It is a good ski boat and like they said before if weighted right they and throw a decent wake. It fits my needs really well. It is a rough riding boat in choppy water but what older inboard isn't? They are a "ski boat" not a luxury cruising boat.

jrcarte78
09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Quote "I had an 88 Tristar and the boat is meant for skiing behind. It does not have tracking fins. It has a really flat bottom and was designed to be on smooth water with no waves."

I have an 88 TriStar 190 and they DO have tracking fins. The 220 may not have fins. It is a good ski boat and like they said before if weighted right they and throw a decent wake. It fits my needs really well. It is a rough riding boat in choppy water but what older inboard isn't? They are a "ski boat" not a luxury cruising boat.

Sorry, meant to mention that as well.... My 89 TS 190 does have tracking fins as well.

stevo137
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM

:confused: My 88 Tristar had fins.

I pulled a few boarders and they liked it.

pilot02
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Tristar 220's do not have the fins. Tristar 190's do. The 220 is probably better suited to wakeboarding and from what I've seen oftentimes can be found for less than 190's. I have an 89 Tristar 190 and it is a good all around boat but as other's have mentioned doesn't take chop well. Without weight, the wake for boarding at 19.1 (with speed control) isn't bad and I have a friend that's done plenty of inverts behind it. Mine's never had any weight in it so can't comment on that. The hull is wider on the tristar than the nautique and the prostars. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong with the tristar.

mjw101081
09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a 1990 tristar closed bow 190 and I wakeboard 65' behind it unbalanced at 20-21 mph at least 2 times a week (quick sets in the evenings). When we go out with a group of four people avg weight 180 pp I only sack to evenly distribute weight and ride 22-23mph. The best move I ever made for my personal satisfaction and wakeboarding addiction was buying this boat. It fit the budget and gained my faith in it as a reliable boat. It is also my oppinion that a good boat is worth making a decent roadtrip for. That alone will make you appreciate it that much more.

jenglin
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
My boat came out of Ohio and I meet the nice people in Indianapolis a year ago this coming weekend. It was the last weekend my wife could travel any where before she gave birth to our baby boy. It was a great getaway/roadtrip that we still talk about. That trip made the boat purchase that much more special. I would try to buy a boat off the internet rather then at a marina due to the cost difference. I think you'll find a better deal that way. Just my opinion.

88 PS190
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
To get our boat I saw a flier w/ the tear off phone numbers hanging on the local for sale board in the grocery store.

Called the guy up, he had a few people looking to buy it (to run on lake MI) which I guess the guy realized they weren't the right buyers, so I snagged it up...

Just like anything if you wait, and look around you will find these things in the strangest places, and sometimes for great bargins (ours had <600 hrs and I'll give you a hint... the price was LOW