PDA

View Full Version : stringer screw holes to be filled with what ?

krakolos
09-24-2007, 02:52 PM
:confused:

hi, my engine cover is as all of you held down at one end by the shock absorbers, and at the other end by hinges mounted to a carpeted aluminum piece of floor deck. This piece is held in place by 2 screws driven in the stringers underneath. OK

now I had to replace the 2 shocks abs. and I wound up with these new ones with more capacity = more tension and pressure on the 2 screws.

So well that it seems they have stripped the fiberglass.

I need to fill up these holes with something quite strong and I tough of afterwards installing some kind of anchors in which to screw small treads of a machine screw instead of wooden type screws.

Am I in the right direction????

Thanks to all of you

Jacques

TMCNo1
09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
:confused:

hi, my engine cover is as all of you held down at one end by the shock absorbers, and at the other end by hinges mounted to a carpeted aluminum piece of floor deck. This piece is held in place by 2 screws driven in the stringers underneath. OK

now I had to replace the 2 shocks abs. and I wound up with these new ones with more capacity = more tension and pressure on the 2 screws.

So well that it seems they have stripped the fiberglass.

I need to fill up these holes with something quite strong and I tough of afterwards installing some kind of anchors in which to screw small treads of a machine screw instead of wooden type screws.

Am I in the right direction????

Thanks to all of you

Jacques

Try nylon screw anchors purchased for Ace Hardware and driven into the holes, then maybe go up one size on the screw like I did on our '89 about 10 years ago. Or, you can drill the holes out a couple sizes larger and fill with fiberglass cloth and resin, then redrill the holes.

krakolos
09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Thx

since the holes are almost rectangular in shape now (because of the stress) I have to first refill them and re-bore them to make a good job.